X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

If I had money to waste.

I would seriously consider running a full page add in Variety asking acadamy members to do a write in vote, "none of the above" for best picture of the year for 2010.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Heheheeeee... I'm with you on that one, Bob. I've seen some movies this year that were okay, but none stick out in my mind as "great".

... I'm holding out hope for Tron 2.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yeah, 2010 in film wasn't anything to write home about.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I agree that 2010 didn't have much to brag about, but don't be too hasty to write it entirely off. I just recorded Restrepo and it has that look. I'm watching Forbidden Planet tonight so it will be tomorrow before I can get to it. More on it then....

Regardless, there were some releases that I enjoyed:

Daybreakers
        Iron Man II
        Robin Hood

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Looks like a lot of big action movies will be coming around summer 2011:

Cowboys & Aliens
          Thor
          Captain America
          Transformers 3
          the last Harry Potter
          seems like there are more but I don't recall them all
          -Chuck

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Action movies are a lot of fun to watch but, they are formula movies. Although often with ground breaking special effects. My own opinion is that any movie that wins the Acadamy Award for best movie can't be based on new technology special effects. I don't mean that it can't have special effects in it. Just, that can't be the criteria. A great movie will always stand the test of time. New special effects are just that, special effects.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yesterday, on my day off, I watched two movies, "How to Train Your Dragon", and "Machete". Talk about two movies that TOTALLY are at opposite ends of the quality scale, and exemplify what we're talking about here. "Machete" is easily the worst movie I've seen in a long, long time. :05: out of :5:. Horrible on so many levels, I won't even start. Now on the other hand, "How to Train Your Dragon" by Dreamworks is very, very good, and probably the best movie I've seen this year! :4: or :45: out of :5:. Not exceptional, but very good.
              Last edited by Chris D; 04 December 2010, 04:51 Saturday.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Here's a site of "Stephen King's Top 10 movies of 2010".

I think I disagree with him on many of them. Now, while I did like Inception and Kick-Ass, and I agree that they are some of the best movies of this year, even they are not Oscar material in my book. I am curious, now, though, about "The Social Network". Good ratings on Netflix.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

As someone who used to see 400+ movies, at the cinema, per year (in my days as a single guy), I find it vaguely disturbing that I've not even heard of over half of his list (let alone seen any of them other than Green Zone--and that only because it is related to my work). Proof that life does change over time, I guess.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                    • Jan 2006

I would definitely say Kick-Ass, Takers and Inception are 3 of the best movies of the last year but I would also throw in Legend of the Guardians : The Owls of Ga'hoole . Don't know if I would go as far as Best Picture on those but I did buy 3 out of the 4 so far.
                    Me and the academy usually have differing opinions of well just about everything.
                    Haven't seen The Social Network or Green Zone yet so I can't say for sure but they looked good. I need to update my que...

Comment

• technodanvan
                      • Nov 2009

I would vote Scott Pligrim vs. the World hands-down. Only movie I saw this year that's worth buying, as far as I'm concerned.

I say that as I pop in Kick-Ass tonight...but that's COMPLETELY besides the point!

Anywho, that's just me, but I plan on seeing Tron: Legacy and True Grit before the 1st. I expect the second one to be potentially buy-worthy.

Originally posted by Ovation
                      As someone who used to see 400+ movies, at the cinema, per year...
                      Are there even 400+ movies released per year that are worth watching? Did you discover the theater that plays direct-to-DVD movies the night they are released? Good lord...
                      - Danny

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Scott Pilgrim was great, so was Kick-ass, Splice was actually pretty creative and terrifying enough to be something that's actually plausible. Inception I really loved as well.

I haven't seen The Social Network, or Let Me In (tried to watch Let the right one in, but subtitles aren't my thing these days with kids all over).

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Still haven't seen the new Tron or True Grit, but from what I've read neither one looks like Best Picture material. So I can't think of ANY movie this year that is up to the caliber of a "Best Picture". Shall we call it the "Best of the Mediocre Quality Movies of 2010"?
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
                            • Jul 2000

Of what I have seen, I have to give it to The Fighter. Along with best actor to Christian Bale. When you see a short clip of the two real brothers at the end of the film you can see that Christian nailed the older brother's speech patterns and body movements.
                            But, in most years a movie like The Fighter, while good, wouldn't be seriously considered for best picture.

Comment

• technodanvan
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Bob
                              Of what I have seen, I have to give it to The Fighter. Along with best actor to Christian Bale. When you see a short clip of the two real brothers at the end of the film you can see that Christian nailed the older brother's speech patterns and body movements.
                              But, in most years a movie like The Fighter, while good, wouldn't be seriously considered for best picture.
                              Wait, Christian Bale remembered how to act again? It amazes me how he much he regressed in The Dark Knight...I may need to see this one as well!
                              - Danny

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"