X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

The American

Jeez, I'm not even sure where to begin with this one, so I'll just be blunt: It stunk.

Extremely boring and, except for a coupla decent shoot 'em up scenes just pointless. My wife loves Clooney but even him prancing around in a few scenes with his shirt off couldn't save it for her.

I can't even recommend waiting for it to come out on DVD. Just take a pass.

Grade: D-
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

It seems the trailers were misleading on this one. Moviegoers expected an action film but instead found themselves immersed in an arthouse style film. You gotta watch Clooney because he chooses to star in whatever suits him at any given time, and that can range from an action flick like Three Kings to a more character-driven piece like Syriana. He hasn't disappointed me yet so I'll probably give The American a rent when it comes to video.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
      It seems the trailers were misleading on this one. Moviegoers expected an action film but instead found themselves immersed in an arthouse style film. You gotta watch Clooney because he chooses to star in whatever suits him at any given time, and that can range from an action flick like Three Kings to a more character-driven piece like Syriana. He hasn't disappointed me yet so I'll probably give The American a rent when it comes to video.
      Hey George!

As usual you're right on the money. The trailers are misleading and make this movie seem more action packed than it really is. (Although there are a few pretty decent and suspense filled shoot outs including one in the first 5 minutes of the movie that actually dupe you into believing you may have stumbled into Bourne-Land only to be left wanting).

At any rate this movie is more outhouse than "arthouse". I've appreciated a few European Art films in my day and this is just lacking in plot and substance. Sipping cafe' with the beautiful Italian village backdrop can only take a movie so far. Sooner or later you have to have a story and script that the audience can become immersed in. This is done up to a point and then leaves you hanging. The scenes are incomplete and almost amateurishly done. As we left the theater the most common comment we overheard from other people involved the word "boring" and that pretty much sums it up.

I like Clooney too and his screen presence can help most movies. However, his character here is one dimensional and sullen. Understandable based on the role, but even that got boring after awhile. His last few movies have been just ok for me. (up in the air, men who stare at goats, and this one). Maybe its time for him to do an "ER" reunion to bring him back to reality.

Alright George, as usual you've softened me up....I'll bump the grade up to D+!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Gump

Alright George, as usual you've softened me up....I'll bump the grade up to D+!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

One review I read of this film said it will, above all, leave the audience "divided". The reviewer suspects some will love this film, some will hate this film and very few, if any, will feel indifferent to it.

Knowing my own tastes and based on some reviews by critics whose opinions I respect (but don't necessarily always share), I suspect I will be among those who love this film. But then again, I'm a big Peter Greenaway fan and almost everyone else I know can't stand his movies (The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is probably his most famous film), so I don't consider myself a barometer of mainstream film taste.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"