X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huskerduck
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

Shenmue Has to be most boring Game ever

Dreamcast really put out a boring dud here, if this was to be Dreamcasts savior, then someone screwed up bigtime

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
    Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
  • Jeremy Santos
    • Aug 2000

Excuse me!!! Are you sure you were playing the same game?!? I am sorry, but I strongly disagree with you!! It is the most innovative game to come out in years, and it has what it takes to make it a classic. In my books, it is one of the best games out there.

Jeremy Santos

My Software
    Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!
    Jeremy Santos

My Software
    Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!

Comment

• Huskerduck
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2000

I think we may be talking differant games, or maybe ours Is broke,
      The game we have you spent 12 hours straight running to town then back home , trying to waste enough time to get the next "hint" for lack of a better word
      While the graphics were stunning (untill 40 trips back and fourth dulled the excitement) the gameplay was nil and void untill disk #3 where you actually get to drive a Fork lift, so far this has been the highlight and maybe the game picks up considerably now, If it does Ill be glad to edit my Above message to "Disk 1-2 are duds and Disk 3 is Great!"

Maybe this view comes from not being a real "gamer" but from what Ive seen "Ecco the Dolphin" puts this to shame in graphics and gameplay atleast as the first 12-24 hours goes

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
      Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Huskerduck
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2000

Disk 3 was very well done and gained momentum all the way to the last few minutes, but we did enjoy most of disc 3

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
        Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

I kind of have to agree with Huskerduck on this one.

I was really looking forward to Shenmue but now that it's here I just have this..."blah" feeling.

The gaming press made a lot of noise about how realistic this game is and how you can interact with virtually everything in the game. The reality is that no new ground was broken here. I mean, playing Sega's Hang On sucked in 1988 as much as it does now.

The game is a typical RPG set in the engine of an adventure game. The pace is just a bit too slow for my tastes (then again, I haven't played an RPG I've liked in several years).

I'm really not all that impressed with the graphics either. They're good but, as Huskerduck pointed out, Ecco set the bar for Dreamcast graphics.

I don't hate Shenmue, I'm just disappointed. The game was hyped as a revolutionary milestone. As it turns out it's an evolutionary game with a good story.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Iguana Man
            • Nov 2000

It is without a doubt, a game designed differently than other RPG's; ie; Resident Evil & Tomb Raider. Now I know when I bought Shenmue, I didn't expect it to be a clone of RE & TR, but I DID expect it to be exciting.

It's the excitment that this game doesn't have, IMO. While it's innovative in it's approach, I find it boring at times (most of the time actually). The occasional realtime fighting is good, but not enough for me.

Perhaps my disappointment is due to games like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis and Silent Hill. All of these games increased my adrenaline, while Shenmue (after an hour or so), put me to sleep.

With all that said, NEVER FEAR !! Alone in the Dark will be out in (I think) March. This games looks like a real winner.

Iguana Man
            Iguana Man

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Just to clarify: Resident Evil and Tomb Raider are not RPGs. I'd classify Tomb Raider as an Action/Adventure title because its main gameplay element is the action. Resident Evil is an Adventure game with a bit less emphisis on action (when compared to Tomb Raider).

A traditional RPG is one where you slowly build up the characteristics of your character while a story develops. I would call Shenmue a hybrid Adventure/RPG. In this respect, I would call Shenmue grounbreaking. It melds the Adventure game with an RPG quite well. I'm pretty sure fans of Final Fantasy would enjoy Shenmue.

For my tastes, however, it's just too dull.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"