X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The Expendables

When I saw the previews for this movie I knew I had to go see it. Basically all your action stars in one movie. I just wished they had some better material to work with. I know not to expect great story telling and even great dialog, but really some editing and you could get this thing down easily to 90 min if not even shorter. Heck, just program in the action scenes and that would be about a 20 to 30 min movie?

So the plot? Who cares, but it goes something like this - starts off with some good action, then it just drags on until the next action sequence some more talking and then a chase. And drags on until the next and then the final shootout. See a pattern? There is a whole back story on the Jason Statham character that could really be just dropped entirely. I think he had x minutes of screen time written into his contract.

There is maybe one scene in which I would want to buy the DVD/BL just to run it as a demo for my sub, but other than that I think I'll wait for it to go on sale at the previously viewed section.

Save your money, go if it is free, wait for the rental so you can skip the boring bits.
    Last edited by P-Dub; 19 August 2010, 15:26 Thursday.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Your comments pretty much sum up what Ive heard about the film so far. Too bad. It seemed to have potential.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

Definitely more Rambo-ish than Rocky-ish. If you're looking for lots of action it's worth seeing. Lots of explosions, led flying, bones breaking, etc.. If you're looking for a good script with an intellectually stimulating plot you might want to explore some other options . Story is cheesy and the dialogue is cheesier. Mickey Rourke's performance is the only thing that comes even close to decent acting. But that's primarily due to him being a quirky cat in a quirky role...something he can do without breaking a sweat.
      But if you're looking for mindless, testosterone fueled, kick-butt action------go ahead and indulge yourself. :T

Grade: C

Comment

• numberoneoppa
        • Sep 2009

This movie was horrible. Haha. The plot... where was it?
        -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• FrozenRapids
          • Sep 2010

Not a movie to be taken seriously. Not much of a plot, just tons of big action stars shooting at stuff, and blowing stuff up. Can be enjoyed for what it is, a simple action flick with lots of effects and explosions.
          Home Theater Deals

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Agreed--check your brain at the door. I do give the movie studio props for somehow getting all the big actors in the movie. Somehow, they even got Arnold, while he's governor. Gratuitous scene. Just missing a couple actors like Jesse Ventura, Carl Weathers, and you've got a conglomeration here of all the mega-muscle beefy movies from the 80's, like Running Man, Predator, Rocky series, Rambo series, etc.

Some of the violence was more than just over the top, it was flat-out too much, like chopping off limbs and such. But some great actions scenes in it, too.

I give it just barely over :3: out of :5:
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"