X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Toy Story 3

Obviously, many of us are anxiously this movie. It's been discussed on and off again for the last 10 years since Toy Story 2, but Pixar specifically killed the idea many times. It's finally coming! Release day June 18th, 2010.

Disney/Pixar will be showing Toy Story 1 and 2 in theaters in 3D, to prepare for TS3. Seems to be part of the push towards 3D movies and television, which we'll see if that gains a solid foothold. (personally, I doubt it)

As with all the Pixar movies, I really hope they do this one right! I think the expectations are set higher than ever for this one, though, since Toy Story 1 was so good, and Toy Story 2 was FANTASTIC, widely regarded as one of the strongest sequels ever. (we often talk about this in discussions, TS2 being one of the sequels that matches or surpasses the original instead of falling short like many sequels do. In the likes of Terminator 2, Empire Strikes Back, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)

So, Pixar has a LOT to live up to here! Let's hope they hit yet another home run! 9 months away and counting.

And a TS3 trailer here:

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Just watched TS2 on DisneyHD here. What a great movie indeed! Can't wait for next year. On a side note, I'm hoping I'll have the chance this week to go see Up.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

There's a new TS3 trailer on the msn.com homepage today. Looks like Andy goes to college, and the toys are given away. Buzz gets a factory reset to speak in Spanish?
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

I was skeptical of the 3D stuff taking hold, but saw Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs today in 3D, it was pretty good! I think it is still kind of in its infancy but some of the effects in the movie were awesome. The 3D trailer for A Christmas Carol had some awesome 3D in it... there was a snowflake that really looked like it was flying all around the theater above your head. Very cool, I can see huge potential for 3D. The entire movie definitely had that extra bit of depth to it.
        -Chuck

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

The per-screen take on 3D movies absolutely destroys normal box office returns. The industry is very, very interested in pushing this stuff. D-cinema projector roll-out is the only real holdup.

Plus it discourages the whole shaky-cam bootleg industry.

Avatar will probably give it a good nudge as well.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I have my serious reservations about 3D technology, but will absolutely give it a shot.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I'll probably rent the dvd/blu-ray when it comes out, but won't watch it in anaglyph 3D.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Anaglyph? "Lucy, you got some esplainin' to do!"

(that one is probably lost on the younger generation around here)

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek

Yeah, I expect so. Well, anaglyph glasses are used with the BLU-RAY/DVD version of 3D movies we see today. Example is Journey To The Center Of The Earth. The problem with them is they darken the image and get the colors all wrong. On the other hand, in the early movies, 1950s/60s, two projectors were used to give us the image and polarized glasses were used to enable us to see the 3 dimensional images on screen. Images were clear and colors correct. I'm not sure what method is being used in theaters today so I'll let someone else comment on that.

Hope this 'splains things, Desi. :lol:
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

You know... I was going to post more about 3D, but I think I'll start a separate thread on it. (or one of you guys can, if you want, and beat me to it)
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                      You know... I was going to post more about 3D, but I think I'll start a separate thread on it. (or one of you guys can, if you want, and beat me to it)
                      You can start it, Chris. I understand the older technology but not sure about today's.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                        On the other hand, in the early movies, 1950s/60s, two projectors were used to give us the image and polarized glasses were used to enable us to see the 3 dimensional images on screen. Images were clear and colors correct. I'm not sure what method is being used in theaters today so I'll let someone else comment on that.
                        Actually, most theaters in the 50s were anaglyph. All commercial 3D today is polarized. Some are linear, which gives better left/right separation, but only if you keep your head level.

Some use circular polarization, which has a little more baseline crosstalk, but is immune to head tilt degradation.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Brandon B
                          Actually, most theaters in the 50s were anaglyph.

BB
                          Guess that shows how much I know about 3D.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Sooooo... now that it's out, who had seen Toy Story 3? Any good?

It's getting a great 99% at Rotten Tomatoes, with reviews ranging from "pretty good" to "excellent". I thought this one mini-quote was good:

How dare you, Pixar! How. Dare. You... It really isn't fair for other studios who are constantly playing hit-and-miss with the moviegoing public.
                            Sadly, I'm not going to be able to see it for some time, unless I come across a black market DVD or something. Does it live up to the greatness of TS1 and TS2? Supposedly this one is more commercialized with brand names. (I know Lego makes its way in there!)
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

All the comments I'm hearing up here are positive to say the least. But, I'm not scheduled to go to the mainland any time soon, so I'll just wait on the Blu-Ray.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Getting some very good reviews.

My family went to go see it yesterday, (without me) all-out IMAX in 3D. They really liked it, and my wife says she doesn't know which of the 3 is her favorite. So if it's really up to Toy Story 2 standards, it'll be a winner in my book. Can't wait to see it.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Just saw it today with my family and friends. This was A REALLY REALLY GOOD MOVIE!
                                  Everyone that was with me left saying the same thing. It's really hard to say which Toy Story was the best. It really was a great movie!!
                                  I'll watch it again in a month when it comes out in 3D over here.
                                  :5:
                                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Just saw it in the only way available to us here, locked up in the Middle East--a renegade DVD. (which I otherwise don't condone) Low quality, but I focused on the movie, which I thought was quite good. I don't think I like it as much as TS2, but maybe as much as TS1. I will say, I didn't find the material to be too rehashed, and that it was still fresh, but I think Pixar might have now hit their limit with TS. Unless they can come up with some very original material, (and I don't count them out, because somehow Pixar keeps managing to make a stellar movie every time) I think Pixar should stop this series at 3. I mean--you can only use the gag so much, of Mr. Potato Head's parts coming off, getting mixed up, etc.

I'm going to have to see it again when I have the opportunity, either in theaters, or BD, to do a critical evaluation. Will be a purchase, of course. I'll wait for the Toy Story trilogy in BD, when it's released.

I give it :45: out of :5:
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by David Meek

Oh come on now, that show is nothing less than iconic. [I'm 21 years old]

In any case... going to see it (TS3) as soon as it pops up in theaters here in Korea.
                                      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

Brought my kids to see it today--fabulous movie. I too will be getting the BD trilogy when it is available.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"