X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

James Cameron's "Avatar"

When Ridley Scott released "Legand" in 1985 I couldn't wait to see it. I remember thinking that the director that gave us "Duelist" would deliver the best fantasy film of all time. :E :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Instead we got the most hokey fantasy film of all time. At the time I thought, "If Ed Wood had a budget, this would be the kind of film he would make."

I'm thinking "Avatar" may knock it off it's throne. And, there will be a new reigning king of hokey.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Bob

I'm thinking "Avatar" may knock it off it's throne. And, there will be a new reigning king of hokey.
    Yeah, I'm gonna pass on this one. I'm not all that keen on cgi generated characters anyway. I prefer real actors.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
      • Jan 2006

I had no idea what to expect but I think it looks to well done. Don't know much about the story line but as long as it doesn't end up with a Titanic-ish :gah: love story I'll be okay. It shows what looks to be the making of a love story though. :roll: Because when I see Titanic now the dialog is pretty laughable, to me anyway. I just watch for the boat sinking, to me that when it gets good.
      I hope for more Aliens type of action in it. Looks like the special effects are pretty top notch.

Comment

• Maceo23
        • Dec 2006

I really don't see the breakthrough 3D technology Cameron has been touting for the last few years in in the trailer. Honestly, to me, it kind looks a lot like Episode 1. That being said, when was the last time Cameron delivered a dud? He's always written good simple screenplays to go along with his extraordinary visual effects. I'm counting on his story telling to make up for any visual letdowns.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bob
          I dunno Bob, that will take a lot of knocking. :

Call me silly, but I have some hope for this film. Hmmm, can we even call them films now - what with all the digital imagery and digital media?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Maceo23
            I really don't see the breakthrough 3D technology Cameron has been touting for the last few years in in the trailer. Honestly, to me, it kind looks a lot like Episode 1. That being said, when was the last time Cameron delivered a dud? He's always written good simple screenplays to go along with his extraordinary visual effects. I'm counting on his story telling to make up for any visual letdowns.
            Did you see the trailer in 3D?

Everyone I know in the industry who's been exposed to samples in 3D are at worst somewhat impressed.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

A big preview of it was shown this week on TV. I saw it, and it actually looks pretty decent. Hopefully it's not too fruity fantasy.

Has potential.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

South Park had a pretty good punch-line about Avatar this week. It was a big build-up, but essentially one of the characters wrote "Dances with Smurfs" and then sold the rights to James Cameron.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

Several breakthrough technologies were used in making Avatar, that is indisputable. But, $310 million in production costs plus $150 million in marketing costs would keep me up at night if I was an investor. Especially if the entire film has the cartoon look that I saw in the trailers. It appeared way to lush and colorful to me.

Hopefully the story will be as compelling as the other films we have seen from James. But, my money is still on the probability of it being silly.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                    ...I just watch for the boat sinking, to me that when it gets good.
                    Wow... you're rough! ha ha ha It's funny though.

Originally posted by Maceo23
                    That being said, when was the last time Cameron delivered a dud?
                    Exactly. I'll watch it because it's all Cameron, and everything I've seen that he's done has always been greatness. The story doesn't catch my attention, but I'll watch it anyway.
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I originally thought this was based off the Anime show but it appears it's not.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Hopefully not another "Waterworld". But it doesn't have Kevin Costner, so right there it's already got a leg up.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Jen and I were watching one of our normal DVR'd shows and noticed in one that a couple was coming out of a theater and on the marquee the film showing was "James Cameron's Avatar".

We've been unsuccessfully trying to remember which show is was....

Comment

• Alloroc
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                            South Park had a pretty good punch-line about Avatar this week. It was a big build-up, but essentially one of the characters wrote "Dances with Smurfs" and then sold the rights to James Cameron.

Kevin D.
                            Not wanting to change the topic but that was one brilliant but provocative episode! Though I wonder if people 'got it'?
                            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Alloroc
                              Not wanting to change the topic but that was one brilliant but provocative episode! Though I wonder if people 'got it'?
                              I doubt it. At least not as many as it should have. I'm always amazed how they can pull off thought provoking discussions surrounded by comedy absurdity.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Ah... sorry I missed that!
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Oh dear... rather over the top, but still some very funny themes in there!
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• june
                                      • Feb 2005

hello all,

a remake / sci -fi / 3D version of the last samurai
                                      beauitful film, i just saw this story before.
                                      June
                                      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                                        • Oct 2009

Just Saw it at the IMAX in Hampton, VA

Best movie I've seen in a while and the 3-D was kind of neat too.
                                        "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                                        -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

A buddy of mine just called and babbled for about 5 minutes non-stop about Avatar as a movie and also its 3D/CGI/FX. Keith's a rather stable sort, so to have him come out of the theater like this is pretty impressive. We'll be making a day-trip to the mainland during my two weeks off for the holidays to see it. Yeah baby! :dancenana:

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

I am curious if the new Tron movie has a trailer before Avatar.
                                            Can anyone confirm?
                                            B&W

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                                              • Oct 2009

No TRON Trailer at the one I went to

I saw it at the IMAX though and there were NO Trailers. Kind of caught me off guard when the movie started.
                                              "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                                              -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                • Nov 2004

I debated between the Imax and regular 3D version. I went with the regular version as people stated upon seen the Imax version that there was some blurring in the 3D. The regular 3D presentation was outstanding!

Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a couple years. Taking in the effects as well as the story. The story is somewhat predictable...but it's still a fun story to sit through.

Highly recommend going and seeing it at least once in the theatre. This is the first movie I've seen in the theater in a year or two (can't stand theaters with their aweful presentation... ha ha). So it is definitely worth going to see it. Can't wait to get the HD version of it on Blu-ray or the next format!

I'm also happy theirs at least 2 more movies coming out!!!!
                                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                -Dan

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                  I am curious if the new Tron movie has a trailer before Avatar.
                                                  Can anyone confirm?
                                                  Christopher, here's a link to the "VFX Concept Test" on the Apple Trailers website.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

you know.. I thought it was cool special effects, but that there were holes in the plot that might have been edited out due to time. I really feel that the back story at the beginning was sorely lacking. perhaps the extended re-re-re-release will add those scenes back. The whole brother killed and now this one is going to replace the other plot was not well enough developed for me. they could have dropped that part all together and I wouldn't have noticed.
                                                    Last edited by David Meek; 21 December 2009, 14:27 Monday. Reason: added spoiler tags
                                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Everyone please remember TO USE SPOILER TAGS when discussing plot lines.

Also note that June's Avatar thread and this original thread have been merged together.

HTG Management

Comment

• Bob
                                                        • Jul 2000

Glad to hear that it isn't the disaster I feared. I don't like seeing any movie fail. Is it good enough to bring veiwers back to the theater multiple times, like Star Wars or Titanic? If not, then it may be impossible for it to be a financial success.

Hopefully, at least the 3D technology is good enough to be used in future movies. I, for one, would like to see it used with a simple movie that has no CGI effects.

But then, I am pretty much over big comic book CGI movies in general. So, my feelings probably aren't of much concern to most film goers.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                          • Aug 2000

We saw it today, at the IMAX. Like PewterTA said, there was some blurring of the 3D at the edges of the screen mainly, but the rest of the presentation was awesome, like you were there. It was a nice couple of hours on another planet, some of the scenery was straight out of a dream. A nice escape from reality, which is what going to the movies is all about, right? CGI has come a long way since even the last Star Wars. The characters didn't really look CGI, nor did most of the scenery.

I enjoyed the story too. Sure, parts of it were predictable, and parts dragged on (the movie "felt" long, like it was supposed to end but then continued on), but we enjoyed it overall.

I see this being a reference disc when it comes out on DVD/BD. Another patron mentioned the bass, there was a lot of it in some of the action scenes such as when the giant tree falls down. This has the potential to be a "sub buster". :B

I wonder if they'll release it in 3D and include glasses.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Kevin P

I wonder if they'll release it in 3D and include glasses.
                                                            I'm not too crazy about anaglyph 3D. I have a couple of titles on Blu-ray and after watching them once in 3D I went back to 2D for future viewings. The anaglyph method just makes the projected image too dark and it gets the color all wrong. If Avatar is released in 3D, I'll probably just be happy viewing it in 2D.
                                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                              • Jul 2007

There is a 3D spec for Blu-ray. Not sure what kind of glasses it uses though.
                                                              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • May 2006

Glasses 3D 160 minutes I will get nauseated Until they figure out a way to make 3D without glasses count me out

I will take 4K resolution before 3D thank you it is only a movie and I don't need to be in it. Holographic would be even better
                                                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Isaac
                                                                  • Jan 2006

This movie was amazing! The 3D was not an issue, seems to have worked out most of the issues that all previous 3D movies had. The story and visuals were amazing.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2008

I'm with Father George on this one...I'd prefer it without the 3D as well.
                                                                    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Saw it last week and yes the overall concept of the plot isn't fresh and new but neither is our behavior as humans. We've been doing the same thing for centuries and unfortunately I imagine we will keep on doing the same. For me in the end it was the backdrop of the story that makes the film.
                                                                      I plan on catching it in 3-D this coming week since I've only seen the 2-D version.
                                                                      Two thumbs up in my book.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2007

I saw this a few days ago on Imax 3D and was thoroughly amazed. I left the theater feeling as though I'd spent the past several days on an alien world. I had read all the reviews and various people's opinions on 3D in general. I was prepared to see the "pop up book" type 3D that so many people seem to think is the case in the newer 3D movies with live action characters. This was not the case at all. I thought every bit of the 3D effects were amazing. The live characters had a real presence in addition to the CGI. I thought this movie was very well done.

I had gone just to see the effects but was pleasantly surprised by a very good plot. Of course general storylines can always point back to some other movie/book/etc, but I thought Cameron did a great job of making it his own. I liked that the trailer did not give away half the movie like most of them do nowadays. In my opinion this is easily the best movie of the year. This will be one that I go back to the theater to see a couple more times. It'll be a no brainer bluray purchase as well.

One side note, I went to the 3D Imax showing, and saw an amazing preview for an Imax 3D nasa movie. Looks like it will be more of a documentary but they actually brought a 3D Imax camera up with them on the STS-125 mission (the final mission to Hubble earlier this year). The couple of short clips I saw of the astronauts outside working on the telescope were absolutely stunning. That preview is the absolute best 3D live action image I have ever seen.

I realize 3D is still basically in its infancy but if this movie Avatar and some of these others I've seen recently are any indication, we will have some amazing entertainment coming in the next few years.
                                                                        -Chuck

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

Based upon Cameron and the views here I would think this is going to be a Blue ray purchase for sure.
                                                                          A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Bob
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2000
                                                                            • 802

I went to the Cinerama Dome yesterday to see this. I give it a "A" for outstanding CGI work and fantastic 3D. Storywise, I give it a "B-". Kept me entertained for the afternoon but, doubt if I would watch it a second time on DVD when it comes out. I was glad to see that it was much better than the trailers indicated.

Comment

• David G
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2005
                                                                              • 170

#39
                                                                              I urge everyone here to see this movie, and see it in 3D.
                                                                              What you will be seeing is a groundbreaking showcase of 3D technology and the future of movies in general. Make no mistake, someday all movies will be done this way.
                                                                              I was skeptical at first, but 5 minutes in, was HOOKED!! It is so IMMERSIVE, and the 3D aspect didnt give me any headaches as it normally does.
                                                                              Please give it a try, I promise you won't regret it.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 8938

#40
                                                                                Oh, okay. If I must. :B
                                                                                .

Comment

• Bob
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2000
                                                                                  • 802

#41
                                                                                  You must. The 3D system that Cameron used is groundbreaking. No film buff should miss seeing it as intended.

Like I said in my previous post, the story isn't compelling enough to making it a "highly" recommend if you were to only see it when it comes out on DVD, however.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 3389

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Bob
                                                                                    You must. The 3D system that Cameron used is groundbreaking. No film buff should miss seeing it as intended.

Like I said in my previous post, the story isn't compelling enough to making it a "highly" recommend if you were to only see it when it comes out on DVD, however.
                                                                                    3 hours with goggles, a bit long for my taste, I will wait for the reference Blu Ray, that way I can pause and take a break
                                                                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 1537

#43
                                                                                      I saw it last night. While we got stuck in the 2nd row (wayyyyy to close) it was well worth it! I want to see it again, this time Imax 3d (it was sold out so thats why we saw it in a "regular" theater) Even though the thater was packed, I was crammed in the 2nd row and sat there with glasses on for 3 hrs.. It didnt matter! My eyes were glued open for those 3 hours in awe.

I suggest everyone go see this. This is a movie you HAVE to see in the theater. Its crazy, I will be buying it on BR and will see this a 2nd time. I have never seen a movie twice in the theater, this will be the first.

This movie WILL break Titanic's record. In 2 weeks its half way there Domestic and less than 3 weeks it will be over half way there world wide.....
                                                                                      Last edited by Race Car Driver; 02 January 2010, 00:59 Saturday.
                                                                                      B&W

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 8938

#44
                                                                                        Were they goggles or glasses?
                                                                                        .

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 1537

#45
                                                                                          Glasses, my fault. They were better and more comforatble than the glasses provided in Beauwolf 3D.
                                                                                          B&W

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"