I'm kinda new here, tell me about yourself......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

I'm kinda new here, tell me about yourself......

While I've been crusing the forums for 4-5 years now, I don't know the people here. Please tell me about yourself. I'll start.

I got into audio and HT late in life, in 1997 as I neared the age of 30 For some reason I started off buying and selling used gear, which enabled me financially to upgrade more often than most human beings. I have bought, used, and sold over 50 items in the past few years (see my profile). Finding good deals can sometimes be a curse! While I started off in 2 channel, I grew to love matrixed and discrete surround sound. Currently, my system usage is about 50% DSS, 28% DVDs, 20% 2 channel music, and 2% XBOX. I work in corporate finance for a $4 billion company in Jersey (I grew up in sunny California).
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Ahh, surely you jest, you don't know folks here? I would say you've sold half of them gear, lol. JK.

Well, Ricky does know me, Andrew Pratt, and a few others here. Hell, he took my job man, I know he knows me. Ok, relax, I did leave of my own free will, it wasn't like axed. lol.

In fact, I did buy one of those 50 pieces of gear, and it still drives my Velex subs to this day, a Parasound 1500A amp. Thanks Ricky!

We do have place in your profile for systems and some personal, but this is a good thread to sort of reacquant everyone. We are small, and we have some that come and go, but we do have the "core" group that are here often.

Myself? Computer professional by day, internet entrepreneur by night. A/V cable biz and this here forum. Love BMWs, Polo clothes, the occasional white wine, and well, women. haha. That last one is in fact a scarce commodity though!

My system is in my profile. Hmm, wonder if I added my Rega Jupiter to that? My Classe CP-35? :?:

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

I'm the hillbilly of the bunch!

I've been bought, used, and sold over 50 times, so I'm pretty warn out myself.

Ah, see my profile for the details. It's my life story summed up!

Did I mention I'm lazy as heck too????

;s@ WELCOME TO THE FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• LarryB
        • Dec 2001

I refuse to indulge any personal information that will probably just lead to my being on even more mailing lists.

Larry

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well lets see I started out on the DT forum with lex and ricky under the moniker ITISI many moons ago. My system grew from a life long interest in audio and has seen its fair share of upgrades too... though not quite up to Ricky's level.

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Well, I'm probably the oldest and least mature forum member. Been working in the film business since "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe". Hung out in the Height during the 60's, toured with Big Brother for a bit. Came back to L.A. area and did the Laguna Beach Syndicate Tim Leary thing until he had some help escaping jail and everyone left for other places. Moved to Hawaii to go surfing for a few years and clean out the effects of the 60's. Came back to California after the Vietnam war ended. Started a business, bought a bunch of real estate. Somehow managed to raise four kids that rebel by listening to Rush Limbaugh. Sold my business, built a house in Costa Rica. Came back to California, started a new business, invested in a studio that seems to stay busy. Visited Lex at his home in TN. Oh, yeah, I have some av stuff too.

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

Well, I'm the guy who loves to use this Emoticon:

Lex introduced me to the HTG. I'm also the guy who has shared numerous layoffs and job experiences! Hopefully that won't happen anymore!

I'm married (4 yrs on June 20th). Have a little boy named Andrew (3 1/2 months now).Oh yea...I'm 28.

This last three years my progression into HT has really taken off. I started with the basic Pro-logic system with a hybrid of different speakers.

I love 2-channel as much as HT, so I have a systems for each since I'm building a HT room soon...just check out my profile!

I love life and people...that's me!

Oh, yea...I'm a Norgy too!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• Legairre
                • Jan 2002

Ricky,
                I know you and a lot of the other people here from a site on the net that used to have integrity. What can I say. I got into HT around 1997 and have been hooked ever since. I started out wiht a little satellite speaker system and a VCR. little by little I've upgraded my system to the following. By the way. Nice post over on the DT site. 8O

Amp: Rotel RMP-1095(I love this thing)
                Pre/Pro: Rotel RSP-1066
                Fronts: JBL HLS820
                Rear: 4 JBL HLS410
                Center: JBL HLS Center
                Rear Surround Subs: 2 JBL PB10
                LFE subs: 2 JBL PSWD112
                RPTV: 61" Hitachi
                DVD Player: Sony DVP660C(5 disk changer)
                Satellite: Dishnetwork
                CD changer: Technics
                VCR: Panasonic 8494

I plan on upgrading the speakers to B&W 604S3 and the CD(haven't decided to what yet though) player too this year.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                Radden Home Theater
                Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Welcome to the Guide. I am the least experienced member in this forum (Believe me you'll find out for yourself ops: ) but we all have to start somewhere I guess. I got into HT just in the last say two years and have been trying to grow. This is the first and only forum I've joined and by reading some comments over the last few days I can tell that I am lucky to be here. Hopefully they'll even let me stay :P

I am a certified Chef. Had my own catering company for 12 years until I suffered two mild heart attacks last year and had to slow down and eventually I sold the company.

Married, boy and a girl........everyone supports and appreciates my HT hobby (Sometimes I get the feeling it's the free food why there is always gathering here on weekends)!
                  Anyway, will be upgrading almost everything based on the knowledge I gathered here but for the moment I will not say how far or what I've I gotten until we are ready to re-struture. However, I have made several good purchases......... still in boxes.

My dream is to be as informed as our moderators are and some other members here - one day............. and to build my dream in about a year or so. hope you'll also be here for support.

Thanx

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                  CLIVE

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Clive, that's a nice post man and believe me, we are honored you chose HTG as your home! Keep reading, posting, you will learn sooner than you think. Just don't try to digest Jon Marsh's posts, and you will be ok, lol. He leaves me in the dust most of the time,

Besides, if we ever have a group outing, we will be needing a good chef, ROFL.

Lex
                    Doug

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

;x( ;x(

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• KS
                        • Jun 2002

Followed a thread at DT over here. Just wanted to say hi as I joined two minutes ago. I got bit by the HT bug about four years ago after my last child graduated college. I actually had some extra money for the first time in years I immediately went out and purchased the best audio system available, a Bose AM10 Have come a ways since then and this looks like a good forum to hang my hat. I HATE arguments that involve personal insults and didn't see any here so if you'll have me I'll stay awhile.

Ken

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Hello Ken and Ricky, you will indeed like hanging out here. As for me, I may be a challenge to Bob's statement that he is the oldest here. I will turn 66 this summer and have loved movies as long as I can remember, so it was natural for me to go the Home Theater route the minute they came out with tapes. I progressed from tape to laserdisc and now dvd, and my system has gone from a 19" tv connected to an old 2 CH stereo system to a full blown dedicated home theater ( see my profile for equipment list).
                          Since I was also a trumpet player in my younger days, music has always been a great love as well and I have a huge collection of both vinyl , cassettes and cds.
                          But I couldn't make a living playing music ( though I would have loved to) so I got connected to the publishing industry at an early age and rose through the ranks and retired 2 years ago from a position of General Manager, Publisher and Vice President of a large printing and publishing company.
                          The strange thing is, I never had much time for relaxation with my 60 hours a week job, so I thought I'd be spending more time in my HT. As it turns out, I really don't spend that much more time there. I watch about 3 films a week, and that is no different from my working days. I just get to watch them earlier.
                          Cheers,
                          George

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

Well, let's see, I got started in home theater many moons ago, when I was still living at home, when I salvaged an amp and speakers out of a phonograph stereo my parents were throwing out, mounted them in cardboard boxes, and plugged them into the earphone jack of a 12" B&W television set. I actually watched Star Wars:A New Hope, the first time it aired on TV, on this rig, therefore that made this rig a home theater!

Fast forward 18 years and now I have a really nice HT system including an Outlaw 1050 receiver, Platinum Audio speakers, SVS sub, Mits 46" HDTV and a Sony progressive scan SACD/DVD player, CatCable interconnects, among other things.

As for the rest of me, I've been happily married for five years now, and I live in a house with a backyard pool and three spoiled cats, who are the loves of my life as well as my wife.

I work as a computer programmer, in a job I can't stand right now, but am looking in earnest for better opportunities. I'm also a computer geek at home, with a small network including a Linux based firewall and email gateway. My pet project is to create and sell a utility which will detect and block undesirable email, such as spam and viruses. Hopefully this will lead to me owning my own software company someday.

And that's me in a nutshell!

Oh yeah, I'm a regular participant in TTP here, which is how I came to discover HTGuide. I jump into the other forums from time to time, if I have anything to contribute, I will. It's off season for home theater stuff right now though now that the pool is open.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                            My HT Site

Comment

• Legairre
                              • Jan 2002

ks,
                              I'm a newbie here too. I have to say I love it over here. No personal attacks. Just a bunch of HT lovers sharing information.

Radden Home Theater
                              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

Right on, Legaire. Welcome aboard.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
                                  Office Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

I first saw LaserDisc back in 1987, at the time it didn't have the impact, but looking through the store window didn't help. But a freind pointed out the clarity. Fast forward about 4 years. I helped my aunt pickup a little system, didn't get into the prologic, but a decent enough 2 channel system. I ended up buying this system off her when she moved back to Hong Kong. That's when I knew this is going to be so cool. I had the system setup in my bedroom for about 2 years, imagine a 27" set, with a laserdisc player connected to a receiver and 2 speakers in a 10x10 room. Man did that thing go loud! I then bought a condo, and so upgrades were on hold for the next few years.

During my upgrade hiatus, I learned of DVD. I kept tabs on that format for sometime, just waiting for it to be introduced. Actually saw the first set of titles at Suncoast in Bellingham. I finally completed my HT in 99. Bought a DVD player, a DD receiver, and the remaining speakers to finish off a full 5.1 system. I haven't looked back since. I'm upto over 250 DVD titles, and still have about 10 LD titles, some that haven't been released yet. I haven't powered up the LD in quite some time. Maybe once a year.

As a profession, I'm an accountant working for a non-profit organization.

Welcome to all the new faces to HT Guide. I like to think this site is based on friendly banter and factual reviews.

Clive: It doesn't take long to be as informed. We'll all be looking forward to helping you build your dream.

Legairre: I see that's where Andrew got his Rotel pics. Nice setup.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
                                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Hi Ricky, Ken and Legairre,

I hope you'll like it here as much as I do. HT Guide has an excellent signal to noise ratio! :B

I got started in HT back in the mid-80's when I hooked my RCA mono VCR into an old (even then) Pioneer 880 receiver and Magnavox 25" console TV. Man I was smokin'. At least I thought so at the time. Progressed through a nice Panasonic stereo VCR that I used to record albums to so that the vinyl wouldn't wear, plus got much better quality than a cassette. Moved through various DPL receivers but never got into the laserdiscs primarily due to price of the discs. So now I've arrived at my current system - see my profile for details.

Professionally, I'm an Oracle DBA/UNIX sys admin/application coder, etc. for an oil company here in Houston. Been working in the oil patch for 24 years.

Personally, I'm 43, married to a great wife with 2 pretty darn good teen-agers - and looking forward to that point Ken mentioned where they are out of the house and we've got more of that "disposable income".

See ya' round the forum!

David - HTGuide flunky
                                    Our "Theater"
                                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Robbie
                                      • Aug 2000

HI RICKY

I started also at DT AKA eldorado but haven't been a poster there in some time. Followed Lex around to other places and ended up here.

I started in HT about 4 years ago when my "compact" system blew. Was looking for info when I discovered HT. Boy did I have to catch up. Unlike you Ricky, I stick with the stuff I buy (more out of financial need than anything else) and I still have my Adcom gear but have upgraded my TV to a HDTV (now if only I can get that free Dish 6000)

As for me I work at a NASA ground terminal here in So. NM. Unfortunately I've rediscovered an old hobby of mine which has occupied alot of my time so my HT web time has been cut some but I still make it here.

Robbie

Comment

• SiliGoose
                                        • Aug 2000

I'm 6'2", 170 lbs, hazel eyes, short brown hair, I like long wal....er....wrong forum!

I started hanging around DT while in college 6 years ago. I knew it was a cool place when a member (and current HTG member) sent me his unused Marantz RC-2000 for free because his daughter liked my screen name (oh, and I still use the remote, BTW).

Several useless magazine subscriptions later I found the only way to really learn about this stuff is to pay attention to the people on these forums.

I got a job selling HT gear at a hi-fi shop -only to quit after learning I was expected to lie and cheat. Perhaps sales wasn't my thing.

I'm still learning...I have a propensity to ignore technical facts and unconfirmed claims at the same time. I need to find some middle ground on the whole science versus tweaker thing.

Luckily I have a great wife who puts up with the hobby...and sometimes even appreciates it.

-Sili
                                        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Ricky
                                          • Aug 2000

Guys,

It's great to read about new....and old..friends! This place seems like a warm, tight chalet to hang out. Kinda like "Cheers"

Comment

• Markj
                                            • Aug 2000

I got going in HT in 1981. I had an integrated Kenwood amp that I bought when I was in Japan. I also got a Sansui tape deck in Japan. Added a Kenwood tuner and DCM speakers. Had that setup for over ten years. Got an Onkyo DPL processor to replace my Kenwood, that was a big mistake. I never liked the Onkyo, it had so many little problems that I never enjoyed having it. Then I went nuts and got a Classe CAV 150, which is a six channel amp. I was using the Onkyo as a pre/pro. I finally replaced the Onkyo with a Casablanca. I then replaced the DCM timeframe speakers with Apogee slant 8s. The Classe didn’t have the power I wanted so I replace it with two Classe CA 300 stereo amps and one CA 100 amp. The Casablanca has been upgraded to a CB II. I am currently working on the video side of my system. I have a Stewart Firehawk screen and I am thinking about getting the new Dwin.

Comment

• Eduardo
                                              Moderator emeritus
                                              • Jun 2002

I too am newbie to the HT scene. I started back in 1999 with my sony reciever and JBL Sat/sub. Due to lack of knowledge of brands I stuck with Sony and I can say I am happy. But like everyone else the upgrade bug has bitten and is not letting me go. After getting started with system I started dating my now fiance :yeah: .

Although she is not a HT nut like me, she definitely supports my habit. In the first year dating she helped me buy my Sony 5 DVD changer, which was also being used for my cd player. For my 30th birthday gave me the Sony touch screen remote and the following Christmas she gave me the Sony 400 CD player. She really knew the way to my heart. Blinded by all this great equipment I had to marry this woman before I lose to someone else. So I bought her ring and we are going to be married in October.

Now that I have respectible equipment, I have started upgrading my speakers. Actually I blew up one of my satellites and upgraded my mains to Klipsh SB-1. With the new mains the center channel sounded crappy so I upgraded the center to a Klipsh SC-1. The SB-1s will be upgraded to the SB-3s next month. Also from some great websites that I found, some from this forum, I am currently building a Shiva Sonosub. I will be building my speakers from now on and I will be starting my surround speakers soon.

Allison (fiance) and I are moving into our new house next week that has a finished bonus room above the garage. I immediately claimed that room for our home theatre/office. Ok I cried :cry: like a little school girl until I got my way.

Well I hope that I didn't bore everyone to death. If you want to see pics of the house and my equipment please go my website. Also the website will be updated after we move in and I will have new pictures to post.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

Mark, you have come a long way!

Eduardo, nice story, and congrats on your engagement and soon to be marriage. She looks like a real keeper.

Nice home and soon to be home theater too!

Lex
                                                Doug

Comment

• Markj
                                                  • Aug 2000

Lex yes a long way but fun! Its great that this and other forums are around now so it makes it more fun sharing our hobby.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"