X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Wall E

Fought the crowds for the opening of "Wall E" today. The kids dragged me there...or did I drag them there?...hmmm, either way we saw it and had a good time overall.

Wall E is a cute little robot and it's easy to warm up to the little guy. He falls for a more sophisticated robot named Eve that arrives on Earth from a spaceship. The adventure they embark upon revolves around their relationship as Wall E helps Eve to complete her "mission".

There's some funny moments, touching moments, exciting moments---the works. Picture/animation is great (the robots especially), but that's kinda what we've come to expect ala "Cars", "Ratatouille", etc. (are we getting spoiled?). Sound was also excellent and there were lots of explosions, rocket engine sounds, etc. that'll probably sound great on our home systems when it comes out on DVD.

It should be noted that this movie has some pretty strong ecological/societal messages that are less than subtle. At first I was a bit uncomfortable with this primarily because I was expecting a lighthearted children's movie about a cute little robot; not an editorial about how screwed up our world is going to become if we don't change our ways.

I'd be more specific but I don't want to spoil anything. Suffice it to say that when the movie begins the Planet Earth is so polluted that it is now un-inhabitable for any life (other than a little cockroach friend of Wall E's). Plus all of the humans in the movie no longer have to do anything (other than eat) and they just cruise around in "hover" chairs. Needless to say they are all grotesquely obese. Kinda weird.

Maybe Disney feels that it's time to target the kids with these messages because the adults in our society aren't doing anything to rectify these problems.

At anyrate, overall it was pretty good. Just a little weird.

Grade: B-
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I was going to go see it but it was getting late and we decided to wait until tomorrow.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Just saw it tonight. Really liked it! It was good, but not great. I'd put it on the level of "Cars", not "Toy Story 2". But Pixar wins again... this one, just like all the other movies, is not about sight gags, (although it has them) or animation technology, (got that too) or the audio/video, (which is great) or thankfully, even the social/political undertones that this one does have. At the root, it's all about the story, which is what makes it great. Good, fun, movie, and yet another Pixar movie I'll be buying on Blu-Ray.

But make sure you pay attention to the opening cartoon short, named "Presto". I think this one is the best one Pixar has made yet, and it is VERY, VERY good. Hilarious!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I saw it yesterday and I loved it as well. I don't think the social/political sub plot is to heavy that it makes the movie unenjoyable. I did miss a couple parts because I had to take Reilly out to get popcorn so he'd stop making noise.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Saw this yesterday and loved it (as did my daughter). The ecological "message" has been done before (and will be done again) so I didn't find it too startling. In any case, it is merely backdrop for the touching romance of Wall-E and Eve. It will, of course, join the burgeoning collection of Pixars on my shelf when it comes out (around Christmas, I expect).

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Saw it yesterday. Wasn't all excited to see it. Just went along with the wife and one of the kids.

I ended up really enjoying it.
            Keith

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Wow, this is another great picture from Pixar.

Will look to take my friends kids to see this again.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Picked up the Blu-Ray today on a trip to the mainland. I'll hold it until Saturday night when Jen's back. Throw a couple of rib-eyes on the grill and presto! It's the island version of a night out.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                  Picked up the Blu-Ray today on a trip to the mainland. I'll hold it until Saturday night when Jen's back. Throw a couple of rib-eyes on the grill and presto! It's the island version of a night out.
                  Too damn cold to barbecue around these parts. That island of yours sounds great.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Great images ok movie when is Pixar releasing Incredible II?
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Incredibles II is not a planned production at this point in time (which disappoints me as much as anyone). I would not look for it in the next few years if ever.

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                        Too damn cold to barbecue around these parts. That island of yours sounds great.
                        Nonsense. I BBQ year round and I live in a suburb of Montreal (of course, when my son is old enough, I'll make him do it in the winter like my dad used to make me :B ).

It's been bought on BD as a stocking stuffer. I'm looking forward to watching it again (have to wait until Christmas, though).

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I usually pick up the Pixars right when they come out, but I'm kind of in purchase shock right now, and not really buying movies. I'll get it eventually on BD, though.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Nick M
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

I pick up Pixar films on the day they are released.

Saw Wall-E in theaters twice and loved it.
                            Got Wall-E on BD, and love it.

My favorite Pixar film is Ratatouille (I'm a foodie), followed by Wall-E, and then Monster's Inc. (for my top 3 that is).
                            ~Nick

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Wall E cute but Bof !!!
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

For you Star Wars geeks (me), something to note: On the features disc under Humans is a documentary titled The Pixar Story (which is quite good) that contains the opening two Imperial Cruiser shots from Star Wars in HD (assuming you have the Blu-ray), although cropped to 1.85. It is about 15-20 minutes in, I think.

Drooooooooooool.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Ah... I've been holding off buying Wall-E until it drops on sale, but that's quite a tease.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Gremal
                                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                    For you Star Wars geeks (me), something to note: On the features disc under Humans is a documentary titled The Pixar Story (which is quite good) that contains the opening two Imperial Cruiser shots from Star Wars in HD (assuming you have the Blu-ray), although cropped to 1.85. It is about 15-20 minutes in, I think.

Drooooooooooool.
                                    Is that included in the two-disc set or just the 3-disc set?
                                    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Brandon B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2001

Not sure. The 3rd disc in the 3 disc set is just the digital copy for iTunes/WMV, so I think it is probably in there.

Edit: it appears the 2 disc is just the 3 disc minus digital copy, so yes.

BB

Comment

• Gremal
                                        • Apr 2007

I decided to get the 2-disc version and thought the movie was excellent. I'm not sure if I liked it more than Ratatouille. But both are incredible. Amazing how Pixar can make movies starring animated rats and robots and make them seem more human than 90% of the actors in hollywood.
                                        Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                                        Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                                        B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                                        VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                                        Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"