X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarahbee
    • Jun 2005

The Love Guru opens Friday!

Who else is gonna go see this? I thought the trailers were funny, and I read a review that said it was both funny and occasionally touching:

The perfect date film, ‘The Love Guru’ mixes and matches satiric riffs from several film genres including sports dramas and romantic comedies. Complete with a full scale, Bollywood-style dance sequence, Myers says, “I’m an old-school entertainer. I see it as a huge responsibility to ask people to sit in the dark for 90 minutes, so I always want to make sure there’s lots of entertainment – so there’s dance numbers, comedy, drama – and more – in ‘The Love Guru.’ It’s just what I love, entertaining people.” But Myers does more than entertain in ‘The Love Guru’; in all of his silliness, raunchiness and hysterical jokes, there is beauty, simplicity and truth in the message of Guru Pitka.

I also want to see it for Justin Timberlake... he looks absolutely ridiculous in this film!
    "We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I have heard this is actually really good.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I saw some scenes from this with Justin Timberlake playing a French Canadian hockey player. He was a hoot. And Myers... well he can get pretty darn far out funny
      My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Heard a review on the radio this morning and it was pretty bad. Hopefully that's not the case.
        -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by impala454
          Heard a review on the radio this morning and it was pretty bad. Hopefully that's not the case.
          I wouldn't go by the reviews. The reviews were poor, too, on the first Austin Powers movie, and look what happened there. Two sequels and tons of money at the boxoffice. Myers brand of humor isn't for everyone, but there had to be millions of those who dig it, myself included.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

While I enjoyed the Austin Powers series, I plan to pass on The Love Guru. I'm into a lot of different kinds of humor, but I'm not into gratuitious gross outs unleavened by wit, which seems to be a fairly universal appraisal of "The Love Guru". Read a few of the reviews, and the reasons are pretty clear.

FYI -- on "Rotten Tomatoes" review site, the first Austin Powers movie rated 67% "fresh" (36 "fresh" reviews/18 "rotten" reviews), which is a favorable collective rating, while "Love Guru" only gets 15% "fresh" (17 "fresh/96 "rotten"), a decidedly negative reception.

I agree that I wouldn't put a lot of weight in what any particular critic says about a movie that I otherwise find interesting. However, if almost all the critics pan a movie, there's probably a reason besides just not being "into" a comedian's brand of humor.

I have so little time to devote to movie viewing, I'd rather take a chance on something more likely to be enjoyable (to me) -- something that doesn't rely on non-stop "pee-pee" jokes to get the yucks.

Therefore, I may be missing out on the "sleeper" hit of the year if all these critics are wrong. But if enough people I know personally whose taste in movies I respect tell me it is great based on their own viewing, I might check it out on DVD... might, if I manage to work my way through the several hundred other movies ahead of it in my "must watch" list before several hundred more get added. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
              I might check it out on DVD... might, if I manage to work my way through the several hundred other movies ahead of it in my "must watch" list before several hundred more get added. :>)
              If I can remember to do so, I'll review it here after I buy the Blu-ray disc when it comes out. But my review will likely be a little biased since my taste in humor is abnormal according to my wife.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I enjoy any kind of humor as long as its funny

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"