X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justinh
    • Dec 2008

Justin statement build

Figured I'd start a new thread here instead of cluttering Jim's in Mission Accomplished. My center channel turned out really nice so I've started building the Statements now along with a sub. I've only got the few pics from building the center but i'll get more soon.

All og my components arrived from parts-express last week except for the 56uF Jantzen caps which are out of stock til the end of the month, anyone have an alternate source?

One question I have about the port. I've seen it mentioned to cut a slot out of the base or something along with the 9" hole? Is this needed and are there any other modifications I should worry about? I'm trying to finalize my drawings before I go mill the front baffles and the bases.

Justin
  • justinh
    • Dec 2008

Old pics from the other thread of my center channel.
    Attached Files

Comment

• JAS
      • Dec 2008

Yes a 9" hole in the bottom three layers with a 5" wide slot towards the back in the same three layers. The mid TL's will need a little trimming between them to fit the back side of the tweeter, just test fit the tweeter before you attach the front baffle.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Hi Justin,

JAS is right on the money. The 5" slot or section you cut out of the bottom three layers of the base help the port breathe freely.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build!

EDIT: You can replace the 56 uF cap and one of the 3.9 uF caps speced in the BOM with THIS Solen from Madisound which is the correct 60 uF value speced in the crossover. There will not be a difference in sound quality since the Jantzen and solen are similar caps.

Jim

Comment

• justinh
          • Dec 2008

This look right?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Perfect! :T

Jim

Comment

• justinh
              • Dec 2008

Anyone know how much clearance to leave around the drivers when milling the front baffle? I intend to seal with zinsers then paint with automotive paints and I'm not sure how much that might fill. Think .020 all the way around would be enough?

Also what side roundovers are you guys using on the front baffle?

sorry for all the questions

-Justin

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Paint can be pretty thick.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justinh
                  Anyone know how much clearance to leave around the drivers when milling the front baffle? I intend to seal with zinsers then paint with automotive paints and I'm not sure how much that might fill. Think .020 all the way around would be enough?

Also what side roundovers are you guys using on the front baffle?

sorry for all the questions

-Justin
                  Hi Justin,

I always cut the driver recesses at least 1/16" larger than the driver diameter. That'll be a very tight fit.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"