X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Superbowl HalfTime - Tom Petty And The Heart Breakers

First of all, I am a big Tom Petty Fan, I have every disc up until “Let Me Up – I’ve Had Enough”. After that the appeal waned, although I do think everything before that was outstanding… even Southern Accents.

Thought the half-time show was so-so. I understand these days that Tom Petty in concert (I have never seen him live, although would have like to back in the day) is not really an eventful or high energy show. Good songs, yes. Sounded good, yes. Was it boring, for the most part yes. I like to think that there is something beyond the CD, but in this case there wasn’t. On that note there’s more energy on some of the early CD’s than there was in yesterdays performance.

I don’t have any Prince and not really a fan, but I thought his show last year was really good.

Kind of bummed about yesterday performance, I guess that’s the way it goes. Time to pop in “Pack Up The Plantation - Live” and remember how it used to be, that disc rocks.

Oh, one thing did cross my mind yesterday. I remember Stevie Nicks being a long time Phoenix (or somewhere there abouts) resident. For a minute I thought how cool it would be if she showed up and they did something together. That might have worked.
  • Denton
    • Nov 2000

I disagree. The Heartbreakers remain the most consistently tight live rock band around. If you want to see someone shake their ass you'll need to look elsewhere. (I'm reminded of the running joke the original Marshall Tucker Band had years ago... before each show they'd look at each other and ask who wanted to wear the tights tonight.) :P

I thought Petty's half-time show was excellent. It was very well staged and the band packed everything they could into the 12 minutes they were given. Beats the hell out of the slop the Stones delivered a couple of years ago, or Up With People. ops: Given the "family-friendly" limitations of this live, televised event, I don't know how they could have done better. 8)

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Denton
      Given the "family-friendly" limitations of this live, televised event, I don't know how they could have done better. 8)
      I think you hit the nail on the head there. When half the country has an absolute fit about a little accidental boob you can't expect the organizers or performers to deliver anything mind blowing for fear of offending someone. They played well, sounded good and gave a good performance. It's about all you can ask IMO.

End of the game was exciting though!
      Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by aud19
        They played well, sounded good and gave a good performance.
        I have to agree, while not ground-breaking in any way, It seemed a solid peformance. It could have been way worse......IMHO
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• greenhorn
          • Feb 2007

But But But.... He was born a rebel.... Down in Dixie.... On a Sunday morning. :W

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Touche! :T
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Denton
              • Nov 2000

But But But.... He was born a rebel.... Down in Dixie.... On a Sunday morning.
              So was I. 8)

Please understand that these guys are veterans, a nice word for gettin' old. They were never "ass-shakers" and you won't see Tom slide on his knees again; he had surgery on one knee a few years ago. I've seen them live many times including 2006's Live From Gatorville* concert. They are today my favorite live act. "Greenhorn" describes himself as a Petty fan but goes on to say that his interest ended at "Let Me Up, I've Had Enough", and further states that he has never seen the band perform. I recommend that he, and any other curious HT Guide members, check out Petty's full catalog.

*BTW, "greenhorn" also asked about Stevie Nicks "doing something" with the band. Nicks joined Petty and the Heartbreakers on stage almost every night of the Highway Companions Tour. Their performance is available as the "Live From Gatorville" concert that is included in his recent "Runnin' Down a Dream" box set. This DVD gives you a taste of current live Heartbreakers including covers of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well", and "I'm a Man" done Yardbirds style. There is also an extended cover of Van Morrison's "Mystic Eyes" (from Them days). This is a very good rock 'n' roll band. :T

I occasionally hear criticisms that relate to those "other guys" that weren't in the original Heartbreakers. Steve Ferrone's credits include drumming for Clapton. He doesn't shake his hair :P as well as Stan Lynch but he is rock solid, a veritable engine, a better drummer. 8) And Scott Thurston, thinning hair and all, is a former member of the Stooges and can play almost anything as well as provide excellent backup vocals. When the band does the Wilburys' "Handle With Care", Thurston sings the Roy Orbison lines. Petty has referred to him as the Heartbreakers "Swiss Army knife".

Check 'em out. ;x(

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, in all honesty, tom's performance did seem a bit lackluster, one can show emotion and put heart into music without shaking their booty. Eric Clapton comes to mind. He always puts his heart and soul into a show.

Hey, I used to have a Petty album or two, who didn't? I had his biggest LP of all time, whatever it was, forget.

This has nothing to do with the band's sound. They did sound fine.
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• mlw
                  • Dec 2007

Tom Petty

A few days before the superbowl there was an interesting interview with Petty (by Terry Gross - NPR Fresh Air) from a year or so ago, gave a good synopsis of Petty and his career.
                  Tom petty -podcast

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

After Boobgate, the networks and the NFL made it clear that there would be no more "titillating" accidents or close-to-the-line performances. And yes, Tom and the guys smoked The Stones. As said above, given the constraints imposed by a minimal performance window and the powers that be, Tom and the Heartbreakers put on a good show.

But, for once the game itself was better.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Denton
                      • Nov 2000

Clapton comes to mind. He always puts his heart and soul into a show.
                      Sadly, even "God" has mediocre shows. I saw one of his performances ~10 (?) years ago (when he was backed by a bunch of jazz players) that was a huge disappointment for me. My favorite live show ever was a Stevie Ray Vaughan gig just weeks before he died. He and the band tore it up! On the other hand, I had seen another SRV show years before (prior to his sobriety) that left much to be desired.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I've been pretty disappointed with Super Bowl halftime shows. Think they tend to be way too "productionalized" and not really good shows. The one that stands out in my mind as somewhat of an exception, and perhaps the only good one to me, was U2. Not only are they my favorite band, but I think they did a good job. But the thing that really capped it off was when they started cycling the names behind them of everyone that had been murdered on 9/11... that was very, very touching.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

I can't recall the U2 show much, would like to see it. But in that light, the show this year was less glitz and glam, more straight rock, I just have a issue with Petty's personal style now, that's my issue, anyway, it's over, he won't be back again likely.

But it's true the Stones rather stunk it up.
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"