X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Pan's Labyrinth

Well, seeing as my RPTV died, I thought I'd go to the movies, which I don't do too much. Actually, quite a few movies at the theaters I'd be pretty interested in seeing, but chose Pan's Labyrinth...after clearing it with my wife and the mom of a friend of my 14 year old daughter. The reason I bring that up is because this is a very intense, very brutal, at times, movie.

Not to give any spoilers, I'll just say that in the backdrop of a Fascist rule in Spain, at a time when resistance is weakening, a young lady is put in an almost Alice in Wonderland situation, but much, much more adult than anything that would be aimed toward anything less than a 14 year old or so market.

I was intrigued by all the buzz this film is receiving and the 96% at Rotten Tomatoes and I'd have to opine that it is a masterpiece, for my tastes the best new movie I've seen in the last year or so. Not for all tastes, but one I'll definitely buy. A wonderful soundtrack and richly deserving of its Oscar nominations, including best foreign film (it is subtitled).
    Keith
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

It does look pretty dang interesting :T
    Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

SHould be noted it is absolutely not for young kids.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Jen and I hopped the ferry over to San Juan island for dinner and a movie weekend before last. This was playing and in we went, both thinking that it was a film along the lines of the original Labyrinth with David Bowie (we're both fans of that movie). Fortunately for both of us, we'd already finished our sightseeing and a very good, relaxed meal - and neither of us were feeling depressed in any way, shape or fashion. :

Had I known only that Guillermo Del Toro was the director, that would have been enough to let me know this wasn't going to be standard fare. I'd describe this film as 1/3 Alice In Wonderland (with fangs), 1/3 "dysfunctional family abusive" and 1/3 Saving Private Ryan. Yep, go figure - but somehow it works.

Beautifully acted by all concerned and beautifully filmed, located in a deep mountain forest, it's shot in a perpetual twilight state of darkness with the color palette dominated by blues, deep greens, greys and blacks. I've never seen actresses Ivana Baquero (Ofelia, the young heroine) or Maribel Verdu (Mercedes, the woman that befriends Ofelia) but they both bring their "A games" to this film. Ms. Verdu especially, is worthy of extra notice.

No, it's not an easy film to see and it's not an easy film to put behind you, but I'm very glad I got a chance to view it. And, like Saving Private Ryan it's one I'll own as soon as its released, but not one I'll take out and play over and over. It's a story that needs to be experienced and absorbed, but only when you can make the emotional and intellectual commitment to it.

:45: out of :5:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Hmmm, definitely a glowing review from our Davidian friend. I'll add it to my list.

As for the original "Labyrinth", yes... that started my lifelong drooling over Jennifer Connely. She's grown up as I have, but she just still won't return my phone calls or Valentine letters!
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Sounds like the kind of movie you have to be " just in the right mood" in order to enjoy it. I'll be watching for the dvd.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
              Hmmm, definitely a glowing review from our Davidian friend. I'll add it to my list.

As for the original "Labyrinth", yes... that started my lifelong drooling over Jennifer Connely. She's grown up as I have, but she just still won't return my phone calls or Valentine letters!
              Hey Chris,
              Stay away from my woman! She will not respond because I put in the bad word for you. She will be mine, she just doesent know it yet.
              Steel

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris
                Hmmm, definitely a glowing review from our Davidian friend.
                Chris, after looking at your comment I went back and re-read my comments. I guess it IS a pretty positive commentary isn't it? I need to expand on this a bit though. That it's a great movie is easy for me to say. That it was one of the 3 or 4 hardest movies to watch that I've ever seen is also true. Yes, I meant everything I said initially, but don't misunderstand me - it's a brutal, punishing, uncomfortable, sad film.

And yes, a great one.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Sure... not misconstrued at all. I do take note, though, when my friends rate any movie 4.5 stars, so I've got to look at the one. Not expecting it to be perfect by any means.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"