X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

New Peter Jackson Project; Dam Busters?

The local media in Australia and NZ are reporting that Peter jacksons next project may be a movie about the famous dambusters raids of WW2 .
    He has been interviewing survivors of the raid resident in New Zealand and photographing a restored lancaster.Its reported Peter has a long time interest in WW2 history and has a modest collection of aircraft and military vehicles.

Hopefully the number of huge spiders, dinosaurs etc will kept under control for this outing.

I would love to a see really well done film about this being an aviation buff.
    Hopefully at least as good as Memhis Belle but as most of the British raids took place at night it will pose a few challenges on the visual front.
    Brendon
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Brendon, there was a British film released in 1954 entitled THE DAMBUSTERS. I haven't seen it yet on dvd, but it is an excellent film and has been shown on tv a few times. I expect Jackson is attempting a remake of the original and should be good.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Oh goody! :T

The original was an enjoyable film in its own right, but with Mr. Jackson helming this one, it could be spectacular. There's a series on one of the "cable" channels called Heavy Metal and recently it spent an episode on the Lancaster. Overshadowed by the reputation of the B-17, it is quite an aircraft.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Sweeeeet.... I just got a woody.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Bad news I am afraid.A spokeperson for Peter Jackson has denied that he is making this film.The original report was in a British news paper and we all know you cant belive anything printed in them.
          Brendon

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by brendon
            Bad news I am afraid.A spokeperson for Peter Jackson has denied that he is making this film.The original report was in a British news paper and we all know you cant belive anything printed in them.
            Brendon
            Damn shame. Jackson would have done a super job. Oh, oh, Chris' woodie just turned into a limp rag. :lol:
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Great. I was with Major Woody on this one. :thud:

Maybe we could start a write-Peter-Jackson campaign?

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Dear Mr. Jackson,

I had a woodie when I heard that you were making a WWII bomber movie and I saw pictures of those beautiful airplanes. Then I heard you're not doing the movie, and I went flaccid. Now I'm watching Deal or No Deal, and the models are giving me woodies again, so everything's cool.

Thanks,

Chris
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• brendon
                    • Aug 2004

update on peter jacksons Dambusters film

I was wondering what happened to this film ,It looks like its still going to happen with filming to commence in april 08 and well known british comedian Stephen Fry writing the script source http://www.stuff.co.nz/4198368a1860.html
                    Bring it on!!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Good news indeed.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

What? A comedian is writing the script?????? :E I hope that this isn't going to be a send-up.

Comment

• JohnA
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

If you want some good information about the design stages and problems of making the special bombs (they had a lot of problems with making a bomb that worked for this) and also stories about a few of the dambusters raids, check out your local PBS stations. Often times they run the one they made up about the Dambusters, titled "Bombing Nazi Dams", for one of their "Secrets of the Dead" episodes.

You can also buy a VHS of this episode.

Comment

• brendon
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                            What? A comedian is writing the script?????? :E I hope that this isn't going to be a send-up.
                            Dont worry David ,apparently this film will be evan more accurate than the original as a lot of the details were still classified when the original was made in the 50's.
                            link to interview with Peter Jackson about dam busters prior to Stephen Fry being announced http://board.dogbomb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48192
                            Weta studios website dambusters link http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projec.../thedambusters

brendon

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I guess I can watch this one so long as I watch Das Boot afterwards to get some balance.

I must admit to watching the film and loving the story as a kid. I think I even had a model landcaster hanging from my ceiling along with about 7 other WWII aircraft.

I also loved the fairly recent series from the UK about the young guys who were given the chance to fly a genuine spitfire. I had to lock up the cats when this series was on as I would crank up the projector and the boys would attack the screen as the planes flew across the screen.

Spitfire was definitely my favourite aircraft when I was a kid. Did not feel compelled to think about the not so nice side of these machines when I was 10, it was just a great sounding high performance flying machine.
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• brendon
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                I guess I can watch this one so long as I watch Das Boot afterwards to get some balance.

I must admit to watching the film and loving the story as a kid. I think I even had a model landcaster hanging from my ceiling along with about 7 other WWII aircraft.

I also loved the fairly recent series from the UK about the young guys who were given the chance to fly a genuine spitfire. I had to lock up the cats when this series was on as I would crank up the projector and the boys would attack the screen as the planes flew across the screen.

Spitfire was definitely my favourite aircraft when I was a kid. Did not feel compelled to think about the not so nice side of these machines when I was 10, it was just a great sounding high performance flying machine.
                                I just bought Das Boot the other day and its definately one of best sub films you will see.
                                I managed to watch most of the spitfire program as well ,also excellent.
                                We had a mustang at the airport where I work and its definately a kick to watch it take off and fly past .
                                brendon

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"