Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Sithlord
      • Aug 2004

It is a great movie and the remake is fantastic.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
        I heard it during the week and it reminded me of the movie. I knew exactly where it came(love the movie) from and reckoned it would make a great question here. The movie in question is an absolute classic, American classic even and universally considered to be one of the greatest movies ever made. Now, go figure!
        Any takers, or shall I post the answer?
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Alloroc
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Here's another interesting question based on a piece of trivia I heard on the radio this morning.

There are a small number of movies where the lead actor(in each movie) does not blink(on puropse) for the entire movie. Name the movies, the actors and the parts played!

Weird enough one I know, but when I digested the answers in the context of the parts the actors played, it made sense....
          Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by imbrod
            Here's the scene, guess the movie:

Good guy is caught by 2 bad guys that guard him and make fun of him. One of them pretends to light him a cigarette then punches him in the face. Good guy says: Do it again and you're dead. Then the bad guy acts like he's about to light him again, then punches him in the face again. Good guy stands up and kills bad guy with just one punch. Then the other bad guy approaches, punches the good guy. Good guy says the same thing: Do it again and you're dead. Bad guy punches him again, but the good guy doesn't do anything as we expected, he just smokes the cigarette...
            Yes, as hinted, I believe it's Bruce Willis in "The Last Boy Scout".
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Okay, try this fun one I put together:

What popular action movie was written by Stephen King, cast two future governors, two rock stars, an athlete in THREE halls of fame, an Olympian, two wrestlers, a 10 year sergeant veteran, a felon that appeared on the FBI's 10 most wanted list, a Swedish bodybuilding champion, and an actor that declined the role of Lando Calrissian in Empire Strikes Back and has a punk band named after him?
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Is it Predator?
                Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

No, but an additional hint, Dan, is that you're quite close!!! (heheheee... I really like this one)
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Duh, it's got to be The Running Man... no?
                    Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Yes! Running Man was same year (1987) as Predator, same two future governors, (Schwarzenegger, Ventura) and same Danish bodybuilding champion. (Sven-Ole Thorsen) I should also have added to my original question--game show host, and Miss Teenager of the World and Miss Venezuela!

This was really interesting, researching the movie to come up with the question. Who would have thought that a movie would have such a prolific cast with such credits to their backgrounds, both past and future! Here's more details about the cast of the movie:

Movie based on book written by Richard Bachman, a pseudonym used by Stephen King
                      Two future state governors: Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse "The Body" Ventura
                      Two Rock Stars: Mick Fleetwood and Dweezil Zappa
                      Athlete in THREE halls of fame: Jim Brown (in the Pro Football, College Football, and Lacrosse halls of fame--a PHENOMENAL athlete)
                      Olympian athlete: Erland van Lidth (wrestling, but became a professional opera singer!)
                      Veteran: Professor Toru Tanaka, who served 10 years in the US armed Forces as a sergeant. Also a wrestler
                      Danish bodybuilding champion: Sven-Ole Thorsen
                      FBI 10 Most wanted list: Edward Bunker, who was convicted of several crimes, including bank robbery!
                      Miss Teenager of the World and Miss Venezuela: Maria Conchita Alonso
                      Game show host: Richard Dawson (Family Feud, and he's the Running Man game show host too)
                      Actor that declined the role of Lando Calrissian in Empire Strikes Back and has a punk band named after him: Yaphet Kotto
                      Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 22:00 Tuesday.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Okay... I'll keep rolling, because I think these are fun.

According to Mel Brooks' Star Wars spoof Spaceballs, what is the combination to an idiot's luggage?

(side note of interesting information: this is also a VHF radio frequency used by all aircraft that fly over the Atlantic ocean, for talking to other aircraft when no ground stations are in range to listen to you. I laugh about this every time I fly "oceanic", telling my crew that it's the combination to my luggage)
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

I can't remember how many digits, but I'm pretty sure it's 1.2.3.4.etc.

Kevin D.

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                            I can't remember how many digits, but I'm pretty sure it's 1.2.3.4.etc.

Kevin D.
                            You are correct, it goes to 5 digits I think...
                            Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

This is my very first question It's changes tack from the gamut of Scifi stuff for the moment....

Right, here's a famous quote from an even more famous movie.

"run this idea up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes it"

Name the movie. (easy)

Name the actor who said it. (not so easy)

Name the role the actor played. (hard, unless you know of course!)
                              Ok, no takers then. Answers are as follows.

Movie : 12 Angry Men.

Actor : Robert Webber.

Role : Juror number 12.
                              Vincent.

Comment

• Sithlord
                                • Aug 2004

Yep great movie I loved the remake with Jack Lennon. The live show here in Australia was great also. Very good question but I had to cheat to find out the anwser.

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Good questions! I couldn't come up with any of the three answers - obviously. :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                                    According to Mel Brooks' Star Wars spoof Spaceballs, what is the combination to an idiot's luggage?

(side note of interesting information: this is also a VHF radio frequency used by all aircraft that fly over the Atlantic ocean, for talking to other aircraft when no ground stations are in range to listen to you. I laugh about this every time I fly "oceanic", telling my crew that it's the combination to my luggage)
                                    Yes, the correct answer is... 1-2-3-4-5. As I mentioned, 123.45 MHz is a VHF radio frequency used over the Atlantic ocean and an "aircraft common" frequency used in parts of Europe.

Perhaps some Monty Python? In Monty Python and the Holy Grail, what is the name of the castle where all the young girls meet Sir Galahad? (easy)

What shape does Arthur's party make the "Trojan Horse" that they send into the French castle to besiege it?

What is the average velocity of an unladen Swallow?

There's so many more questions you could ask from that movie.
                                    Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 21:52 Tuesday.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

Here's another interesting question based on a piece of trivia I heard on the radio this morning.

There are a small number of movies where the lead actor(in each movie) does not blink(on puropse) for the entire movie. Name the movies, the actors and the parts played!

Weird enough one I know, but when I digested the answers in the context of the parts the actors played, it made sense....
                                      Any takers on this one? It's a really interesting piece of movie trivia, but difficult in fairness!
                                      Vincent.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2005

Yes, the correct answer is... 1-2-3-4-5. As I mentioned, 123.45 MHz is a VHF radio frequency used over the Atlantic ocean and an "aircraft common" frequency used in parts of Europe.

Perhaps some Monty Python? In Monty Python and the Holy Grail, what is the name of the castle where all the young girls meet Sir Galahad? (easy)

What shape does Arthur's party make the "Trojan Horse" that they send into the French castle to besiege it?

There's so many more questions you could ask from that movie.
                                        Man, those are great questions. I haven't seen that movie in years. I think the answer to #2 is a cow??
                                        Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

What do you mean, an African or a European Swallow? :W
                                          Vincent.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

The Castle Anthrax

Rabbit I think, I know they didn't follow through with the Badger.

Yeah, I'd have to cheat for that. I love watching the DVD with 'closed captions for people who don't like the movie'

Kevin D.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                              Man, those are great questions. I haven't seen that movie in years. I think the answer to #2 is a cow??
                                              Re-thinking this, don't the French throw cows over the castle walls? So I was incorrect. I need to watch the movie - I've got it on DVD.
                                              Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Yes, you guys got them all! (it is a Rabbit, and VERY GOOD, Kevin, the last thing that Lancelot says is "perhaps we build a giant badger", which gets him smacked by Arthur)

Next one...

What popular musical movie is set in Gary, Indiana? (Gary, Indiana, Gary India-na, my home sweet home!)
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Oct 2005

What popular musical movie is set in Gary, Indiana? (Gary, Indiana, Gary India-na, my home sweet home!)
                                                  Is it 50 Cent: Get Rich or Die Tryin' ? :rofl:

Isn't Michael Jackson from Gary?
                                                  Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 21:53 Tuesday.
                                                  Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Noooo, not yet... this one's easy for those who know musicals. I know somebody knows this one!
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2002

---------

Kevin D.

Edited because I was way off.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Oct 2005

Is it "Original Gangstas?" :roflmao:

Google it and you will see why this is funny...it is actually set in Gary according to what I read.
                                                        Danish

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2005

OK here you go.....

There were a few movies where the lead male did not blink and for a reason.

The first movie was Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth. Zefferelli wanted Robert Powell to not blink on camera throughout the movie in order to create the perception of a divine aura arround the character of Jesus. I watched the movie over Easter with this information in mind and yes, the camera did not catch him blinking and it did seem to create said perception. His eyes looked really tired tho'!

The other movies mentioned were, ironically The Silence of the Lambs and the Red Dragon. Anthony Hopkins, when researching the role of 'Hannibal the Canibal' noticed that Charles Manson hardly ever blinked when he spoke. So, apparently, Hopkins did not blink when in character to create the perception of menace, controlled yet savage violence and terror when his eyes pierced through the screen. I have not watched either movie in a long time so I can't verify but it's apparently so. Hannibal Lecter was a scary, scary man!

So there you go. Tricky trivia but imho, really interesting.
                                                          Vincent.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Oct 2005

I've noticed that while watching Silence of the Lambs, kind of scary.
                                                            Danish

Comment

• Glen
                                                              • Dec 2003

The other movies mentioned were, ironically The Silence of the Lambs and the Red Dragon. Anthony Hopkins, when researching the role of 'Hannibal the Canibal' noticed that Charles Manson hardly ever blinked when he spoke. So, apparently, Hopkins did not blink when in character to create the perception of menace, controlled yet savage violence and terror when his eyes pierced through the screen. I have not watched either movie in a long time so I can't verify but it's apparently so. Hannibal Lecter was a scary, scary man!
                                                              Very cool info. Gonna have to watch that one again and pay attention to it. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

That IS interesting, Vincent. As far as the actual Charles Manson goes, he's a scary dude. I was just talking to a guy that was telling me that his sister is on the team that moves him periodically from one prison to another. They guy will just stare at you, placing himself in the highest position possible to project an aura of superiority.
                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

An additional hint--this question is Trouble, (oh, we got trouble) right here in River City, (right here in River City) trouble with a capital "T" which rhymes with "P", which stands for POOL!
                                                                  Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 21:54 Tuesday.
                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

An additional hint--this question is Trouble, (oh, we got trouble) right here in River City, (right here in River City) trouble with a capital "T" which rhymes with "P", which stands for POOL!
                                                                    I think I might know this one. We had a music teacher big into American musicals. I was forced into Oklahoma one year ops: . I managed to avoid being in this one due to a rugby injury. Anhow, if it is the one I'm thinking of, was it not set in River City, Iowa?!, unless I'm completely wrong, confused and missing something big, of course!
                                                                    Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 21:54 Tuesday.
                                                                    Vincent.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Music Man!

I think Shirley Jones was in that one.
                                                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                                                      Marantz CD5005
                                                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

I think Charles Manson is a hell of a lot scarier than Hannibal Lecter. Anthony Hopkins is a great actor-Manson is a sociopath that did the things actors try to portray.
                                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

Vincent, you could be right--I just remember one song is all about "Gary, Indiana." Last clue...

76 Trombones led the big parade!
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2005
                                                                            • 2580

Vincent, you could be right--I just remember one song is all about "Gary, Indiana." Last clue...

76 Trombones led the big parade!
                                                                            Well then it has to be "The Music Man" :dance:
                                                                            Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 21:55 Tuesday.
                                                                            Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

oh yeah. :T :T
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Sep 2002
                                                                                • 1584

Originally posted by Alaric
                                                                                I think Shirley Jones was in that one.
                                                                                And pregnant during the filming, if memory serves me right.
                                                                                Keith

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Dec 2000
                                                                                  • 16877

Perhaps another one? (and feel free, everybody, to jump in if you can think up your own trivia question) This one may be a little harder:

Name a Disney character, or characters, that were given names that are pseudonyms for Satan.
                                                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2002
                                                                                    • 4601

Easy.. Huey, Dewey and Louie..

Kevin D.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 8938

No, no. It was Bambi, Thumper and Flower. :B

Seriously tho', was it Cruella Deville?
                                                                                      .

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

That's one! "DeVille"... "Devil"

The other one I'm thinking of is more obscure.
                                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 8938

Okay, I give up. You've stumped me on #2 Chris. ;x(
                                                                                          .

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                                            • 16877

Oh, sorry to hold out. It's actually the cat from "Cinderella", named "Lucifer". On that note, though:

What two ways has the story of Cinderella worked its way into American non-movie culture and sayings?
                                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"