This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarahbee
    • Jun 2005

Wanted to weigh in with another positive review of Batman Begins. I really enjoyed this one... I thought Christian Bale fit the suit well and Morgan Freeman was a very welcome addition. Katie Holmes, while pretty uninspiring, played her part fine. I liked seeing the roots of Batman as he struggled to figure out what he was. Maybe I know less about the Batman legacy than others here, but I found the build-up to Batman to be fascinating. I thought that any adjustments made to put Batman in the context of a modern city were done well. Also, I feel pretty differently than others about the plot. It was essentially bioterrorism to the extreme...a scary concept and a nicely carried out one. The drugs and the Scarecrow were scary. I'm looking forward to sequels (hopefully!) and seeing another interesting take on the Joker (love the original but always open to new interpretations).
    "We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Comment

• DifferentLee
      • Apr 2005

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought the acting was terrific and it had a very good storyline. Very enjoyable!

I'm looking forward to seeing more from this team.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I am debating on wether to see Batman Begins or not, based on some of the feedback here.

Question: If you like the original A LOT, is Batman Begins different enough to enjoy or would comparing it to the original make it a disappointment? Normally I can rationalize this myself, but my wife wants to see it, which is very unusal for her as she is not much of a sci-fi/comic book movie goer. What has been the WAF for this film?
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Reb,

WAF is off-the-scale in our house! Jen has seen it twice and is ready for the DVD. That's amazing because she almost never (this is the second time in 8 or 9 years) goes to the theater to see the same movie twice.

Personally, I liked the original Batman - mainly because of Michael Keaton's performance. I also enjoyed Nicholson's take on the Joker and the look and feel of the entire film. But overall I'd rate it at :3: out of :5:. I'd give Batman Begins a firm :4: out of :5:. Can't go into more detail at the moment as we're out the door for the evening. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Go ahead and check it out. For the most part it has great reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes it has a 3.85/5 rating, and 83% of reviewers gave it a thumbs up (or "fresh tomato").

As you have read above, I'm in the minority who felt it wasn't anything spectacular, and have recommended not seeing it for people with similar taste in films like me.
            ~Nick

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

Nick, no offense. I can't read your mind, and I was never into comic books. Having seen it twice, I think your "not sure I can even recommend renting it" final statement in your original post is a bit harsh. I don't know, maybe you had really high expectations for this, more than for any other comic book-based movie. Yes, the screenplay and plot were not without their scratching-your-head moments, and I thought some elements were rushed through, but a lot of folks out there agree it's right on par with Spidey, considered the creme de la creme of the current state of the genre, in character and story development.

Oddly, I ALSO liked the original Lundgren Punisher, but I also enjoyed the recent "redaptation". And when you boil it all down (plot pun intended!), Batman Begins is a redaptation that I enjoyed a lot.

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Funny, I thought the new Punisher was terrible, and disliked it for similar reasons why I disliked the new Batman. I didn't feel any darkness or mysticism around the new Bat. It seemed like a guy with a downright funny voice going around filling out a typical action film with stuff blowing up. The styling reminded me of a cheap rip from The Matrix and Bond. By the end I could have seen Independence Day or iRobot and probably not have known the difference due to the plasticity of everything (two other films I didn't really like).

I do have high expectations when it comes to characters and stories with a ~60yr history. To me this didn't do the DC/Kane's character justice. I wasn't any more harsh on this film than I was on the Burton/Keaton films (which were "good", but not "spectacular"). Just one man's opinion though. Personally I've recommended friends and family not to see it. While I'm certainly in the minority, I'm not the only one who feels this way.
                ~Nick

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Personally, I liked the original Batman - mainly because of Michael Keaton's performance. I also enjoyed Nicholson's take on the Joker and the look and feel of the entire film. But overall I'd rate it at out of . I'd give Batman Begins a firm out of .
                  Those thoughts mirror mine very closely. I LOVED Batman and Batman Returns with Keaton...but having now seen Batman Begins I think Bale might be an even better Batman. I thought that some of the things I wasn't sure I was going to like (the batmobile) actually worked in the context of the film and the acting was great for the most part....though its hard not to picture Liam without a lightsaber during some of the training scenes

Its not often that I want to see a movie more then once in a comercial theatre but this is one of those times.

I can see however where Nic is coming from given his background with the comics. I didn't read them and so likely have a far easier time letting go and letting the movie be a movie and not a comic book brought to life on screen. When I first saw Jurassic Park I HATED it as it left so many things out of the book. Sure the effects were incredible and one of my favorite memories of all time at a theatre but that nagging thought that they screwed up the plot kept me from enjoying an otherwise great movie. Since then I've grown to see the movie for what it is and come to really enjoy it (can't say the same for what they did to The Lost World :M )

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Oh fine, Andrew. Don't put my stars in the quote. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                      I can see however where Nic is coming from given his background with the comics. I didn't read them and so likely have a far easier time letting go and letting the movie be a movie and not a comic book brought to life on screen. When I first saw Jurassic Park I HATED it as it left so many things out of the book. Sure the effects were incredible and one of my favorite memories of all time at a theatre but that nagging thought that they screwed up the plot kept me from enjoying an otherwise great movie.
                      I loved JP and I didn't read the book. I didn't read the Batman comic books either but I watched the Saturday morning cartoons and TV shows. Perhaps this plus the overwhelming WAF David mentions is all I need to make up my mind. I respect Nick's opinion a lot, but I hope the movie is worth it in the end as I am going against his recommendation.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nick M
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

I hope the movie is worth it in the end as I am going against his recommendation.
                        Lol, I'm just a guy with an opinion. I hope you enjoy it! :T :B
                        ~Nick

Comment

• Sithlord
                          • Aug 2004

Ahh the saga continues 8)

Comment

• Nick M
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

:laughat:
                            ~Nick

Comment

• NMyTree
                              • May 2004

I saw this last night, and I had a great time watching this movie. It was highly entertaining. My significant other loved it, and she usually hates superhero movies. All the way home from the theater, she just kept on talking about the movie.

With all due respect, I didn't think the beginning was choppy or anything like that. It simply flashed back and forth to give some background and develope the story line; it was the beginning. I had no problem following it and thought it was done very well. It showed what made the man become the man, who becomes Batman.

As for some of the comments about the Bat Mobile, I think some of you may not be getting the idea, of what the director was doing, with the storyline.

It's in the title......"Batman Begins.

Batman and his persona are a work in progress here, a progression, an evolution. You saw it with the Batman costume. He started out with that body armor and a ski mask, then, he developed and progressed the coustume and his weapons and tools. The Bat Cave, a wet, rocky, dark...primitive cave. The beginning.

The same holds for the Bat Mobile. In the next installment of Batman, we'll see a completely updated and improved Bat Mobile, Bat Cave and a few other things.

Quite frankily, I would have found it a bit ridiculous that the guy becomes Batman for a few days, and suddenly he has this amazing state of the art Bat Mobile, when he's had a whole week to think about it.

This movie is about what made the man become Batman, and the beginning of the evolution of Batman.

That's my opinion on this movie, and I'm sticking to it :B
                              Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                                • May 2004

As far as the cast, Bale is an amazingly skilled actor. His work in this movie and in his other movies is fantastic.

Freeman, Neeson and Caine, I thought they did a wonderful job and I had no problem with them being cast, in their respecitve roles.

Regarding the comics.

I do remember that when they started that "Darker" Batman thing, many of the purist Batman fans were outraged and did not embrace that new version of Batman.

Who knows, maybe that plays a role in how some people will feel about this movie. Maybe not.
                                Tony

Comment

• Sarahbee
                                  • Jun 2005

With comics or books in general, people can be fiercely loyal to what they've read and imagined...I'm sure that plays a big role in movies like Batman for long-time fans...
                                  "We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it." - Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2001

Tony,
                                    I think you are dead on here with your review. What a killer movie this was. Absolutely 100% the best Batman movie to date and could be the best Superhero movie to date.

While it ran 2hrs 21 minutes, it never felt long or boring. Everything felt in place and came together. The biggest thing that stands out is the DEPTH of the characters. While I would have liked a bit more on Morgan Freeman, it was fine.

:45: out of :5:

Comment

• Foxman
                                      • Jan 2003

I don't have the time or vonacular to do a review like some of you have but we saw it last night and thought it was great. I havent read much about the film and have only glanced through page 2 of this thread so I really don't know what the contraversy is and don't care to. My youngest said he thought it was better than Star Wars EP3. I wouldnt go that far, but I will say that neither of my boys wanted to see the movie and both were blown away with it. My wife and I both liked it a lot. I only own the first of the Batman movies and will probably pick up the others to round out the set and rewatch the others. I did lose a $100 bet with the wife about Clooney being a batman. I swear I do not remember him as batman. Oh well, I would say that I can not wait to own it on DVD and highly recomend the movie.

* condition, I have never been that into comic books, so I can not tell you about how closely it stayed with the Bat history, but from a family coming in somewhat cold to the movie it was great.
                                      4 out of 5 stars
                                      IMO

My Movies
                                      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I did lose a $100 bet with the wife about Clooney being a batman. I swear I do not remember him as batman.
                                        Wish I could say the same

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2001

My youngest said he thought it was better than Star Wars EP3.
                                          I did too as did my friend. We both thought it was the best movie we'd seen all year.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Feb 2002

Here's my take 3.5/5

Good but not perfect.

Some minor gripes to get out of the way:

Scarecrow.....WAY underutilized. They did not explore the potential of this villian at all (IMO). in fact when the true nemesis reveals himself....it's a surprise and a letdown all in the same blow, at least it was for mw. It just didn't jive as well I had hoped or felt it could

Katie Holmes... does little for me. I have a feeling she will be a striking and gracefully beautiful actress in her later years. I thought she was cute on Dawson's Creek and have watched her through many movies but right now she does little for me (don't know why). I simply did not buy what she was selling. She was capable enough but I didn't meld into the D.A. role. Oh well.

Fight Scenes.....for gawd's sakes PU-LEEEZE someone ask the director of photography to pull the camera back and lock the bloody thing down. This wasn't quite Bourne Supremecy annoying, but it was annoying none the less. Less get away from this "creative" trend with fight scenes and start showing who's beating the crap out of whom. PLEASE.

The good: This is (BAR NONE) DC best portrayal ever. As close to a Marvel universe quality as ever's come. I really appreciated the "world" they created. From Gothams shinning years to it's degradation. This is fantastic CGI.

A nice exposition of the "birth" of the dark knight. This look, feel and tone captures the "essence" of the batman. The how's and why's. I don't necessarily buy the multiple discipline mastering of the various Asian arts. Batman was never much a karate hero to me. Just a regular guy with cool toys and a real inner grit and desire to right injustices. To "save" his beloved Gotham City.

I like that we get to follow officer Gordon progress through the ranks and that he's not immediately the Commish. It establishes a good synergy between the Batman and the common law. I appreciated the ties established. Sort of the "man inside" feel.

Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine could be in a movie selling hotdogs from a vending cart all day long for the whole movie and I'd pay 8.50 to watch. Simple as that. Quality actors who show up to do their job and make the most of what little screen time they get. I couldn't ask for more.

At the end of it all....I was impressed but not sold that this was the holy grail of Superhero movies. Spidey probably still does it best for me. There are elements of Burton's Batman that I still like (a certain quirkiness that allows it to simply "be" it's own unique movie, but in an un-offending way....not sure how he pulled that off).
                                            This DOES have a seriousness of tone and believability. Every element established in this movie is done in a way that you sit back and say, yeah, that gadget is plausible or this situation is not "over-the-top". In fact, the only "over-the-top" moments (for me anyway) was Batman's training sequences. Other than that, the movie works well.

This will be a welcome addition to my collection. I thoroughly look forward to more installments. It would appear, by what's alluded in the ending, that they are (in a ballsy sort of way) going to redefine the whole kit and kaboodle; as if the original movies never were.

Batman truely "Begins" now.

I'll give it a solid :35: / :4:

That's my take.
                                            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

I'm very much with Gordon on this one.

I finally saw it last weekend- it was a combination of the movie basically living up to my expectations (though I hadn't read Gordon's review at that time), and being SERIOIUSLY annoyed that the presentation in the IMAX theater at Regal Cinema in Dublin CA WAS NOT IN FOCUS, FOR PETE's SAKE!!! Geeez, you'd think they'd at least have it properly in focus in the IMAX!!! I don't expect movies in focus in an average metroplex anymore.... at least they couldn't screw up the sound.

BTW, the really big reason I was let down by that and aware of it is becuase I have a WMV 1080P trailer of Batman Begins, and while it's not what we'd be promised for the quality level in the new Digital Cinima spec, it's very, VERY good, and markedly better than what I saw in the theater.

So, I"m happy that this title is on the initial HD-DVD release list, and it's on my list of first acquisitions once those come out.

~Jon
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• snowball
                                                • Feb 2006

Didnt like Batman Begins AT ALL.i even fell asleep during the end.
                                                it may sound harsh,but i honestly think that it was a real failure.

some concepts of the story are really really ridiculus.
                                                there are some spoilers so i changed the font colour to white,highlight them and it will show.

like bruce wayne visiting a crime lord that has just had killed the murderer of his parents,and telling him that gotham city doesnt want him?and when he(bruce wayne) was just about to kill the murderer himself?

Or when he destroys the temple of the people that trained him and took him out of jail because he didnt want to be an executioner?well he just killed at least a dozen men and destroyed the house of a lot more,which are going to die from exposure.

in general the movie was very "forced",very stereotyped.

and i really dont understand why the beautiful architecture of gotham city was removed.the huge statues and amazing buildings that we see in batman and robin(the one with arnold as dr.freeze)

and i am really confused when people find this a dark movie,for me it was very infantile.

imo the darkest batman movie was the one with the penguin man.

and the most beautiful was the one with Dr.freeze.maybe not for special fx,but the pictures and the colours were amazing. :T

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                  • Sep 2001

The way we do "spoilers" around here, as several others in this thread already demonstrated, is during editing, to precede the spoiler text with "[ spoiler ]" (no spaces between the brackets and the word "spoiler, and of course no quotation marks) and then follow the spoiler text with "[ /spoiler ]" (again, no spaces or quotation marks). That way, upon posting, the presence and location of spoiler text is obvious and consistently rendered. Place your cursor over the black bars and the text underneath will be revealed.

Burke
                                                  ========= Repeat of previous post with HT Guide standard spoiler tags ====

Didnt like Batman Begins AT ALL.i even fell asleep during the end.
                                                  it may sound harsh,but i honestly think that it was a real failure.

some concepts of the story are really really ridiculus.
                                                  there are some spoilers so i changed the font colour to white,highlight them and it will show.

like bruce wayne visiting a crime lord that has just had killed the murderer of his parents,and telling him that gotham city doesnt want him?and when he(bruce wayne) was just about to kill the murderer himself?

Or when he destroys the temple of the people that trained him and took him out of jail because he didnt want to be an executioner?well he just killed at least a dozen men and destroyed the house of a lot more,which are going to die from exposure.

in general the movie was very "forced",very stereotyped.

and i really dont understand why the beautiful architecture of gotham city was removed.the huge statues and amazing buildings that we see in batman and robin(the one with arnold as dr.freeze)

and i am really confused when people find this a dark movie,for me it was very infantile.

imo the darkest batman movie was the one with the penguin man.

and the most beautiful was the one with Dr.freeze.maybe not for special fx,but the pictures and the colours were amazing.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• snowball
                                                    • Feb 2006

Oh Thanks Burke Strickland,i didnt know how to do that! ops:

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"