• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTA89
    • Oct 2004

Alexander

Sucked!

I wish I could get my 3 hours back.

Don't waste your money, wait for the rental.

Story line was boring, jumped all over, boring battle scenes, terrible pre-battle speeches...

I was waiting for it to end after 30 min... 8O 8O
    -Mike

My Home Theater Gear
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

You don't seem to be alone in that evaluation. Gladiator is still the best and the first (Of the latest epic style that kicked off this recent trend)
    Last edited by Gordon Moore; 26 November 2004, 14:10 Friday.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Yes, with all the marketing, trailers, and stars, it would seem that this film would have great potential. Not really, rottentomatoes rating, a measly 14%.

I think, I'll skip this one.

BTW, Christmas with the Kranks a 4% rating.

Have a blessed holiday everyone,

Azeke

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

The original ALEXANDER THE GREAT starred Richard Burton. Wonder how the two will compare. Burton was quite young and didn't look right with blond hair. I also thought it dragged a bit, too, but it wasn't 3 hours. Sorry to hear Oliver Stone's version isn't so great. I'll rent it just the same when it comes out.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

There was a historian interviewed on NPR earlier this week about the real Alexander and how he compared to the movie. The first question was "How did the movie grade on accuracy?" The historian's response was "Oh, about a C but that's because the movie is a real stinker."

I'm paraphrasing this, okay?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I really like Stone's movies so I was hoping this was good. I guess it isn't. I'll wait for a rental.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

I like several Oliver Stone movies as well, but, somehow, from first hearing about this project, it didn't seem like the type fare that suits his talents best.
              Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Well I like Stone's work, and some of what Colin Farrel did before he became a Hollywood badboy, so I will rent it before buying.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I've heard that this one's super bad...
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Yeah, you have to wonder about this. I mean Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie, Val Kilmer, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Plummer... how can you go wrong with that much acting horsepower? 8O

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Feb 2002

Alexander couldn't conquer Spongebob Squarepants at the box office :rofl:
                      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

I'm reserving judgement until I see it. Gotta give Oliver Stone the benefit of the doubt until I witness the disaster myself. :>)

While over the years, as a group, the critics tend to be right, they aren't always. And box office success is not always a good measure of quality, either. A few of my favorite movies have had mild to negative crtical reception, or were not especially popular at the box office. No one seems to have heard of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with Steve Martin and Michael Caine and yet it is one I watch again and again.

A while back, "Heaven's Gate" was panned by the critics for being over-long, unfocused, poorly edited, blah, blah blah, and yet, it had some inspired acting, great scenes and overall, made quite a visual impact. Michael Cimino had been overly-idolized for "The Deer Hunter" just two years before, so it became the "in" thing to trash him and his work a couple of years later. I think there was a "bandwagon" effect -- one critic published a scathing review and all of a sudden, the rest of them chimed in, trying to out-do each other with negative reviews.

Ditto for "Dune". David Lynch's "The Elephant Man" was the critic's "sleeper hit" of 1980 and yet four years later, they were ready to lynch him for his challenging cinematic rendition of Frank Herbert's novel. I don't care what the critics said; I still enjoy it.

I think we might be seeing a similar effect today over "Alexander". Stone's the sort of the director the critics love to hate. Of course, there is the possibility they may be right, (for example, nothing could have helped Elaine May's "Ishtar" except maybe burning the negative), :>) but in a way, they've made it MORE likely that I'll view "Alexander" favorably, because they have siginificantly lowered my expectations.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

So true, Burke. Regardless of what I read by critics, good or bad, I like to make my own decisions when determining whether or not a given film stinks.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

Me too but 11-15% on rotten tomotoes is usually a bad sign.

That and only making 13 million last weekend is pretty downright awful.

Comment

• loup
                              • Nov 2004

This is the worst 3-hour flick i've seen in a long time. I shoulda walk out and go watch the incredile.

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Director's Cut

Rented it, and boy am I glad I did. Worst movie I've seen this year. Didn't see the last release, and I can't imagine how bad that one was. Shut it off after the first battle. Wish I had my $3 back... :throwup:

0 Stars out of :5:
                                ~Nick

Comment

• Claude D D
                                  • Jan 2003

Blahhhh. Terrible fake accents,painful to watch in parts.Yuck!!!! :toilet:

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Sounds like this one should increase the Dukes of Hazzard's Oscar nom's. ROFL.

That's really pretty incredible that you can't take that cast and make a go of it.

Lex
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• fordster
                                      • Feb 2005

Surely it can't be worse than King Arthur?
                                      Dave

Comment

• Nick M
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

King Arthur sucked, but this one made KA seem like Forrest Gump quality.
                                        ~Nick

Comment

• NMyTree
                                          • May 2004

I didn't think it was very good. Watched it last night. Rather disappointing.

Another thing regarding the accents. Is it me or did several actors in this movie suffer from the wandering and changing accent bug?

Kilmer and Hobkins seemd like the only two who's syntax and accents were consistent.
                                          Tony

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Man, I was going to rent this sucker but not now. It sounds like 3 hours of torture.
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"