X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Paradigm speakers

G'day,

I'm still on the hunt for good speakers to go with my Rotel RSP-1068/RMB-1075/RCD-1072 gear.

I've been trying out the B&W 805s, 705s, etc, but my interest has been piqued by Paradigm speakers (specifically, the Reference Studio 40 and Studio 100).

These are about the same price as the B&Ws, and the reviews I've read have mostly been good, but I'm yet to hear them as the only dealer is 150km away.

So I'm looking for opinions on the Paradigms, positive or negative, from others (but preferably from those with similar amps to mine).

-- Geoff
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

I use the Rotel 1068/1075 combo with the 1072 cd...I assume you are looking for the complete home theater set up.I have the Paradigm ref. 40s v.3,the 570 center and the very important 470 surrounds..and of course the sub.First let me say as an H.T.system I doubt your dollar could be better spent.Movies are crisp,clear,powerful and things seem to blend seemlessly.There are great reviews at ecoustics.com for the entire Paradigm line and I found them to be pretty fair and balanced.The only drawback I've found is if you are a lover of two-channel music the 40s may not be your best bet.Most of the time I find myself doing multi-channel listening and the system puts out great sounds.But at times I think it could use a little more depth...hence I'm thinking of making myself a present of the 100s.My listening is probaly 80% music...if you're more into H.T.it's a good way to go...

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

I use the Rotel 1068/1075 combo with the 1072 cd...I assume you are looking for the complete home theater set up.
      I should have pointed out that, like yourself, my use will be about 80% music, 20% HT. So I need a decent set of fronts, which is why I was interested in the Studio 100s.

The only drawback I've found is if you are a lover of two-channel music the 40s may not be your best bet.Most of the time I find myself doing multi-channel listening and the system puts out great sounds.But at times I think it could use a little more depth...hence I'm thinking of making myself a present of the 100s.
      Well that's interesting to know. Can you explain what you mean by "a little more depth"? I'm assuming you mean bass output (according to the Paradigm specs, the 40s only go down to 62Hz, and the 100s only go down to 44Hz, even though they have three bass drivers).

I guess a sub would still be necessary for either speaker?

-- Geoff

Comment

• H.Donald
        • Aug 2004

Sub is a must for the 40s and I am asuming also for the 100s...right now I feel a little is missing in the middle mid-bass area...or maybe it's me or my room as I'm still tinkering.

Comment

• brucek
          HTG Expert
          • Aug 2000

Geoff, I think H.Donald said it best with his statement - "I doubt your dollar could be better spent".

In my opinion, there is very little on the market that will better the value of 'bang for buck' of a set of 40's combined with a Paradigmn Servo-15. This is a great combination. Very crisp, clear and lots of bottom end.

I have a set of 100's which I moved to my rear surround speaker duties when I moved up the food chain. I also have a Servo-15 and feel the 100's are not neccessary when combined with a Servo -15. The 40's are perfect for this. You should listen to a set of 40's combined with a Servo-15 and see what you think....

Comment

• NMG
            • Oct 2004

I would agree. A set of 40's with the Servo-15 would be NICE. The 60's would also match very well with that sub if you want floorstanders.

I have Studio 80's, a PW-2200 sub, an RB-1080 and an RC-1070 and the amp and preamp are a very good match for the Paradigm Studio's IMHO.

Comment

• Nick M
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Research!

Just got a new place with an 18'x10' area that will be 100% for home theater.
              It's half an octogon, with the couch against the long rear wall.
              Up until now, I've been using a 1600x1200 20" LCD, along with a home-built PC using SB Audigy 2 processing and Klipsch 5.1 sound, which was great in my old 10'x10' room, but now I'm ready to build a decent HT.

I've been looking at the following...

Rotel RSP-1066 (used for around $900) or a new RSP-1068 PRE/PRO
              Rotel RMB-1075 5x120W Amp
              Rotel RDV-1060 DVD-A Player
              Paradigm Studio 20 Pair v.3 (Front L&R)
              Paradigm Studio CC-470 v.3 (Center)
              Paradigm Studio 20 Pair v.3 (Surround L&R)
              Some type of Subwoofer (Been looking at SVS PC-Ultra)

I figured with my couch against the rear wall, I won't get much out of the Studio ADPs, and having direct radiating Studio 20s for rears would be great for multichannel DVD-Audio. It will also save a couple hundred bucks.

Over the past couple months I've been racked with indecision about the Rotel equipment though. I keep going back and forth between Rotel and Outlaw Audio. I'd love to hear some of you guys' opinions and suggestions, as the guys at the local HiFi shop are obviously biased for what they sell (The Rotel and Paradigm Equipment). I was also considering Ascend Acoustics.

Look forward to hearing from you guys!
              :T h:

- Nick
              nicholasmosher@verizon.net
              ~Nick

Comment

• ajpoe
                • Jul 2004

I have the 60s v3 for fronts, CC-470 and ADP-470s and I couldn't be more happy. I am also very much a 2 channel listener. I went with the 60s because for the price of the 40s and nice stands, it was pretty close to the same price as the 60s and no stands. You're going to probably want a sub regardless so I didn't bother with spending the extra money for the 100s to get a little lower extension. Your room will have a big effect on that though. The dealer told me that the 60s generally only play flat down to around 50 hz, but in my room, tested with a rat shack spl meter, mine play down flat to around 33 hz. I put a powered sub on each channel which some think is overkill, but I really like it. For movies, the whole combination is absolutely amazing to me. I don't think you'd be disappointed either. Btw. I use a 1068 and 1075 to run my system with an HTPC lossless music server.

AJ
                AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Thumb Twiddling

Thanks for the reccomendation! I check back often in hopes there will be more...

Flight Lessons at $80/hr are really slamming my HT Budget!

I'm going to buy the Rotel RMB-1075 this month just so I can set it up in my HT room and have something to drool at. A new RSP-1068 will come in January, followed by the RDV-1060 & wiring in February. Studio setup will come in the spring I guess...

Seeing as I have no debt and don't plan on aquiring any, it's going to take me like 5 or 6 months to slowly buy this lineup of equipment. Ever since I payed off my college loans I swore never to rack up any debt ever again (except for a future mortgage when I decide to settle down).

Until then I will just keep drooling over the photos you guys have here!
                  :E :B

~Nick
                  nicholasmosher@verizon.net
                  ~Nick

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Nick I might be selling my ADP 350's if you're interested. I'm trying to work out a deal on some surrounds that would better match my mains and if it works out I'll put the ADP's up for sale.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Hey, Nick, good for you! As far as the flying, join the military and fly for free! Or better yet, get paid to do it!
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Nick M
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Flying

ANDREW:
                        Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to go with Studio 20's rather than bipole speakers. My couch is against the rear wall, so the back firing of the ADP won't do much (from what I'm told). I also like the idea of identical direct radiating speakers for multi-channel DVD-Audio.

CHRIS:
                        My flight instructor is a former military pilot with 13,000hrs, and used to fly missions over the North Pole during the Cold War. He has a Piper Seminole, and says that after obtaining my PPL and Instrument rating, he'll train me for complex & high-performance endorsements, and then train me in his twin (and even get instrument rated for twin if I want). So far I'm loving it, and most of the stuff has come easy as I have a background in mechanics, with some university credits in physics and calculus. Next semester I'm going back to school part time, and taking foreign language classes in Spanish & French. I'd love to eventually get an ATP rating and do corporate flying/translating. I love to travel, so I figured this would be an interesting career path to try. I did consider joining AF ROTC while going to school for engineering, but decided not to, as they said it would be 6yrs+ before I even got in the pilot's seat. I dropped out my sophomore year anyways, as I absolutely hated the business side of engineering. I loved the scientific design aspects (such as material science & statics), but there is no way in hell I could spend my life in a cubicle designing the backside of a radiator cap using the cheapest parts possible that allow 10 years of functionality, or 8000 heating/cooling cycles. When I finally decide to finish off a degree (atleast an associates which I'm halfway there), I'll probably get it in an all science major (chemistry is my favorite branch). Did I read somewhere on the forum that you used to fly lear jets in the private sector? I've included more info about myself in the "Meet the Members" thread (or something along those lines).

h:
                        ~Nick
                        ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Sweeeeeeeeet.... (best Cartman voice) Yeah, I used the fly the military version of the Learjet 35 over in Europe, Asia, and Africa. Now I fly the C-17 all over the world. Stick with it!
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Nick I've got a friend using ADP's on the back wall with his couch right underneath them and it works surprisingly well so you might want to give the ADP's an audition before commiting to the 20's.

Comment

• Nick M
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Unsure...

Still unsure about what to get. I'm heading down to my local hi-fi shop as soon as the "Holiday Craze" is over to visit and listen again. Right now I'm pretty much sold on the Rotel equipment, but I've been tossing between speakers from alot of companies, only one of which is sold in Brick & Mortar locations. Check out the following...

CBM-170 Monitors (FL, FR, SL, SR)
                              CMT-340 Center (C)
                              Ascend Acoustics- Award-winning audiophile loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater and music, factory-direct. Rythmik subwoofers now available.

Aperion Audio Intimus Series Speakers (Monitors or Powered Tower)
                              Hello from Portland, Oregon! Since 1999, we have been delicately crafting award-winning, audiophile quality speakers. As an early pioneer of direct to consumer online sales, we offer top notch customer service. We invite you to try our speakers with a 30 day in-home audition and hear the Aperion Advantage for yourself!

Paradigm Reference Monitor Series (Of Course)

All have been given great reviews and have radically different prices.
                              For my sub I plan on getting an SVS PC Ultra, which hits low, clean, and loud to 16hz. I've heard some other subs from SVS, and I've never heard anything better.
                              This website is for sale! svsubwoofers.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, svsubwoofers.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

ANDREW:
                              I listen to almost as much music as movies, and would like to get into discreet multichannel audio. I'm worried that dispersed sound from the sides will ruin the DVD-Audio experience. In addition, I plan on mounting my surrounds off to the sides rather than behind. This will place the rear firing side of the ADPs about 1ft from the rear wall.
                              ~Nick

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Yeah that could be a problem then with ADP's

Comment

• jfelty
                                  • Dec 2004

Interesting thread...

I too am in the market for a new A/V system for an addition I'm currently building. I have a set of Paradigm 9semk3's that I have been using since 97. They are still wonderful speakers with great sound. I'm looking at the 270 / 370 CC to match.

For the new amp and sub however, I have been looking at the Sunfire line. This stuff is amazing. The sub, a 13" brick, put out some pretty amazing sound. It was connected to the Sunfire Ultimate 7.1, which also seemed pretty incredible.

Anyone have experience / feedback for this gear?

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

What is your budget for a new sub and amp?

Jim
                                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• jfelty
                                      • Dec 2004

With the 50" plasma, I'm looking to spend somewhere between $15k and $20k. Originally I was hoping to use an older Sony ES amp. Unfortunately, it has since died on me. I'm thinking that this is probably best because I'm sure I would have not been able to get anything near the theater experience the new amps will provide.

I also will be visiting a local retailer this weekend to look at the Anthem amps. It appears they also play well in the mid-tier market space.

Comment

• basementjack
                                        • Dec 2004

I had been looking for Home theater speakers for a long long time.

I was unhappy with nearly everything I had heard.
                                        PSB Image series - didn't like
                                        Phase Tech - didn't like
                                        Magnepan - didn't like
                                        Everything at tweeter - didn't like
                                        Some other fancy brands at a local dealer - didn't like
                                        B&W 600 series - ok barely
                                        B&W 700 series - A bit better than the 600's
                                        B&W 800 series - OH MY GOD - FANTASTIC - and EXPENSIVE So expensive that I kept looking.
                                        Paradigm Studio 60v3's - OH MY GOD -FANTASTIC and half the price of B&W 800 series floorstanding speakers (and the center is cheaper too) and they discount paradigm more in my market.

The dealer I heard them at had a pair of 60v2, and a v2 CC that he had gotten on trade. I picked the set of 3 up for $1300 and later got a servo-15 sub for $700 -
                                        I'm very happy with the results.

Comment

• springer49
                                          • Oct 2004

I was curious if anyone out there has had a chance to listen to the Paradigm Signature S8's. My Rotel dealer has them in one of his rooms and I think thay are incredible. I may even sell my whole B&W sytem and go for the signature series. I have the 804's, 805's htm-1.

Comment

• kneptune
                                            • Jan 2004

Paradigm Signature 8's....

I've recently auditioned them at a local dealer and they are phenominal! They do everything that the 100 v3's do (which I have) but better all around. They seem extremely powerful, but delicate at the same time. Probably the best open high frequency sound / tweeter I have heard other than the JMLAB utopia line with the Berylium tweeter (2X-3X the cost of the S8). Bass is extremely powerful -- the S8 just simply disappears and just sounds live.... Hard to explain an unoridinary experience.

The problem with the S8 is the $5400-6000 price and my local dealer is expecting Paradigm to increase their prices 10-18% after CES later this month. I think the S4 at $3K (currently) is the best deal.

Kevin

Comment

• springer49
                                              • Oct 2004

kneptune, I just spent 3 hours listening to the S8's yesterday.They are pretty phenominal. I found the base incredible. My only concern was that I felt the treble wasn't as good as my 804's.
                                              I think instead of trading everything in I will just get a great sub to go with my B&W's. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• brendon
                                                • Aug 2004

Anybody compared monitor 5 against B&w 602s3?

Hi all I am still looking for some affordable quality standmount speakers and have been looking at B&W 602s3 ,Focal Jmlab Chorus 707 etc and was wondering if anybody had auditioned these against the equivalent speakers in the Paradigm monitor series?The rear speakers(ADP__) look like they may be ideal for my small room with the listening position hard against rear wall.
                                                Most of the speakers I have auditioned have been approx $1000-$1200 Aussie dollars a pair and I would estimate 70% 2 channel music and 30% 5.1.
                                                I have not seen these stocked where I am in Western Australia so have not been able to listen to this speaker.Any input would be appreciated
                                                Brendon

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"