X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm not aware of any other U.S.A. distributors. The dealer that I purchased my B&K from, here in San Antonio, was an M&K dealer.

A few months ago, I was speaking with their buyer about the then new B&K Reference 70. He knows I am an M&K fan/owner. He also knows that I still need/want to replace my current back speakers with M&K speakers. So he tells me during the course of conversation, " You know...we are currently talking with MKSound about being and M&K dealer again". And that was the last I heard of that.

That talk was around late Oct or early Nov last year. Doesn't seem like it went well at this stage. As I've seen no product.

Yup, Barry is a great guy too. Just like you said, more than willing to go the extra yard to help.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well, got a chance yesterday to hear the "New" MK SOUND speakers. My dealer finally has them.

I'll keep it short and to the point. I heard no difference between the new 750's and my old school one's. If it's there, I could not hear it.

I also ckecked out the 150's. I haven't listened to a set of 150's in ten years. So, I really can't compare the old vs. new sound. What I can tell you, ten years ago, I didn't think the sound between the 750's vs. 150's was that great. Not true today.

The 150's had what I would classify as a "studio" sound. While the 750's seem more "open", like you are at a venue where the artist is playing. The 150 sound is darker and more controlled. I have no clue which is closer to being correct, but, I'm leaning towards the 150's.

I listened to both speaker systems, in the same room. With the same equipment driving them. With and without the MX-250 sub.

BTW, the MX-250 is a beast! Huge imposing look. And very deep, clear, detailed sound. It never called attention to itself but, when it was off, you knew it was missing.

I was plesantly surprised. MK SOUND seems to have done the legend proud.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chetk
        • May 2004

John,

What was the source material and source equipment? Was it a lossless track that stayed lossless all the way to the speakers?

Thanks for the review.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

ChetK,

Sorry, I didn't mention it.

I only did a music test with CD's. Stereo only. They were two of my own so, I was very familiar with their sound.

The speakers were powered with the current Denon flagship AVR (don't recall the model #). The source was a Sony DVD player. Not the best setup, but, more than enough for a basic evaluation.

I plan to go back to listen to MCH.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Sorry guys, I know it's been some time since I said I'd go back and demo MCH sound with the MK Sound speakers. Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen.

My family has moved from San Antonio. As such, the drive is just too long for a demo. :P Sadly, there isn't an MK Sound dealer in close proximity to me in Omaha.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Ah, John in Husker country now! I didn't know that. (Go Buffs) I'm in the airport, literally on my way to CEDIA, so I'll see if there's anything interesting about M&K there this year.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yes, I am. I never thought the mid-west would be a place I called, home! :E But to my surprise, it's a lot nicer than I ever imagined. The last time I was in this general area, was in 1983 (When I was stationed at Ft. Riley). Omaha is larger and more developed than I expected. And the people as a whole are really down to earth.

I hope you have a safe trip. It would be great if you could find out anything on MK at CEDIA. But, I'd understand if you don't. There will be a lot to see and do. And we all know, time passes before you know it at those events.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

A few new items from M&K this year, including some new mid-level speakers and a new subwoofer coming out. Seems the guys are doing well!
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the info, Chris!

I hope they aren't going down the road Ken did, with too many models. What made things bad (IMO) about this, there just wasn't a large enough difference between most of them to matter. Let's hope the new 950's actually are a nice step up form the 750's.

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

A review is posted compairing the old and the new. Read it hear: http://www.laaudiofile.com/mksound_s150.html

Comment

• Sponge
                        • May 2006

Well the Marantz SR96 is dying...well at least I want it to be....technology has passed it bye along time ago!

Any recommendations for my MK's juice? My MK dealer was pointing me to the Onkyo TxSR806

Claiming that Onkyo is what MK is using now in house for testing and such?

I have always been a Rotel guy and wanted to get a Rotel next but for the price of this Onkyo its hard to pass up...I may get a new MK sub too for the cost savings...time to retire the B&W ASW1000

I have MK S150THX up front and the in walls for rears :B
                        Old HT guy getting back into it!

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Hard to say what you should get, sound is so subjective. If your a person that believe amps sound different, that is.

Anyway, my bigggest concern would be how well the new piece handles 4 ohm loads. I use an Emotiva LPA-1 with my LCR 750's. It drives them well in my 15X26 room, even at reference levels. Also, before this amp, I drove the same speakers with a Pionner Elite 27tx receiver. The room was smaller ( about 14X18 ) but, I was satisfied with the sound it produced.

Comment

• Sponge
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by John Holmes
                            Hard to say what you should get, sound is so subjective. If your a person that believe amps sound different, that is.

Anyway, my bigggest concern would be how well the new piece handles 4 ohm loads. I use an Emotiva LPA-1 with my LCR 750's. It drives them well in my 15X26 room, even at reference levels. Also, before this amp, I drove the same speakers with a Pionner Elite 27tx receiver. The room was smaller ( about 14X18 ) but, I was satisfied with the sound it produced.
                            I am one of those audio snobs...thanks for the feedback particularly the ohm's part.
                            Old HT guy getting back into it!

Comment

• John Holmes
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

I hear ya, Sponge! I think everyone on this board appreciates better sound quality. Some might view us as being snobs. :W I prefer to think that we simply know what we like. :T

I actually purchased an Onkyo 8 series receiver about about three years ago. it was a model just before the HD codecs were onboard but, had HDMI inputs.

The Onkyo sound was more than satisfying IMHO. It was great with my M&K's. The only reason I returned it was, it caused my subwoofer to hum. I must have tore the system down 5 or 6 times, trying to identify the issue. I put the Pioneer back in line and no hum... so, I returned the Onkyo. Which was fine... it made me purchase what I really wanted any way.

I think you could be happy with the Onkyo/M&K combo.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Yesterday, lady luck smiled on me. I came across a pair of SS-150THX speakers. As well as a pair of SS-550THX speakers.

I just couldn't resist the chance to have M&K speakers in seven spots surrounding me! 8) So needless to say, today will be a fun day playing with my new toys.

I'm really curious to see how tripoles will sound, supporting my LCR 750THX front wall. Well... time to play!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Well, after about a week of play, I'm very happy and satisfied with my purchase.

A couple of quick notes. First, my rear soundfield is now just an extension of the front. Everthing now has a tonal balance that is so cohesive. I cannot believe I have gone all these years, with side and rear speakers from different manufactures and was content. I guess by now you figured out, the SS-150's and LCR 750's blend very well.

Second, the tri-pole speaker is also an awakening. I am really amazed at how well it does both 5.1 music and movies. It truly gives you that sense of pinpoint accuracy while not calling extra attention to itself. It made me appreciate that a singular surround sound system can truly do both music and movies and yet, not compromise either.

Now the only thing to do is, decide if I'm going to sell my Fosgate Audionics or, pack them up for a rainy day! A very solid speaker in it's own right but, not the best tonal match with M&K. Well, time to get in some quality movies. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by John Holmes
                                    Now the only thing to do is, decide if I'm going to sell my Fosgate Audionics or, pack them up for a rainy day!
                                    Why... do the Fosgates work better in the rain?

Seriously, congratulations! I think you can see why I am a HUGE advocate of matching a surround speaker system.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Ya know Chris, I'm not sure if they really do or not. I may have to pull them back out during the storm and see. :rofl:

Thank you! And yes, I'm going to concur about timbre. I just didn't believe it was the speakers that accounted for so much of it before. I know it may sound a little crazy. However, I was under the belief, the difference in sound was more attributed to, how our ears process sound from behind us. So much for that! ops:

Comment

• phycomp
                                        • Jun 2012

Does anyone know of any M&K dealers in the UK? My local Audio T no longer stocks them

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Hmmm... sorry, can't help you there. Would only suggest looking on their website and calling corporate if needed.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Supernova
                                            • Mar 2017

Mk s-150

Nice to find this thread.

I bought these speakers a long time ago as a gift for my father (original MK's). He and my mother went away on vacation and while they were gone I had installed these in their house. It required me to crawl on my belly through the foundation and draw the wires up through the floor. My buddy that helped me saw the hole I was crawling through and thought I was crazy. I had to literally squeeze through some of the foundation and there was only 18 inches from ground to level in many area's.

My mother was furious when she found out I had installed a home theater in my dad's library. However, when she walked in she couldn't immediately see the speakers and when she saw how nice they looked and how everything just blended she was super happy. My parents spent hours listening to music and watching movies in the room. They have since passed on and I inherited them back and they're still in new condition in my new home, but not currently being used. Wonderful speakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	863213

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	863214

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"