This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chetk
    • May 2004

I ran my S-150P's using the Parasound halo C1 for a couple of years in "large" mode (not knowing any better) and I don't believe I caused any damage. I have since changed them to "small". And, this week, I got the Integra DTC-9.8 and, after the autocalibration, I set my crossover point to 80hz. The main speakers should be set to be the high frequencies only and the sub should take care of your LFE. If you've got good enough speakers (such as the M&K's), you shouldn't need to send low frequencies to the main speakers.

Comment

• Chetk
      • May 2004

What's the differences between the MX-5000 and the MX350?

Comment

• svphile
        • Nov 2007

350 vs 5000 - can't go wrong!!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've pretty much had the same thoughts. I could at low levels, but what would be the point without bass reproduction. 2 channel stereo with full range can be great with the right gear.

350 vs 5000?

Cabinet size, drivers, age, amps(watts), headroom maximizers. Output is the main difference. M&k stated the 350SFX with the newer more sensitive drivers was close to the 5000MKII's output. I'd say the 350SFX is the better choice because of age. I've never done an AB between the two but I can't imagine the 350 would lack much. I'm very satisfied with its performance.

You can still check out M&K's website from way back and check the specs.

check out

and do a way back machine search for mksound.com

pretty cool!!!!!!

Comment

• Chetk
          • May 2004

I wonder if the 350 would pair up well with an MX5000 on the same system?

Comment

• AvFan
            • Feb 2006

Well, you would certainly have lots of really deep and loud bass! With those two monsters I'd look at bass equalization (e.g. Velodyne SMS 1) to integrate both subs with each other and the room. I'd also bolt down everything in my house and warn the neighbors that its just my HT and not an earthquake!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Thought this might be of interest to some www.mksoundsystem.com
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chetk
                • May 2004

I wonder what Ken Kriesel thinks of all of this?

Kind of weird that the company will still be called Miller & Kriesel without either Miller or Kriesel.

Kinda reminds me of Crane, Pool and Schmit without Crane, Pool or Schmit. :B

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Funny you would say this. I was thinking the same thing!
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• svphile
                    • Nov 2007

As long as this is on the up and up I'm all for it. At least M&K will be around in some capacity. Whether the new M&K will stand up to the old M&K standards is anyones guess, but its better than nothing. I wonder if any of the old guard is being kept on for R&D/engineering? I'm mainly interested in my warranty. If they're smart they'll honor the 10 years on old purchases.

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

My understanding is, one of the new owners had ties with the original company. A dealer, distributor or something. He had a passion for the speakers... This is a paraphrase of what I've gathered around the net.

As for warranty work, I would hope that, they would do what they can within reason. As I doubt all of the previous lines will be continued. Time will tell. I'm just glad that someone is trying to carry on the company. Too bad it isn't with the original owners.

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by John Holmes
                        Thought this might be of interest to some www.mksoundsystem.com
                        Looks like the new website is up and running! Still needs a lot of work though.

Comment

• lvhung
                          • Jun 2005

I check it and found it very exiting
                          But they did not reveal the dealers in my contry Singapore yet!

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

lvhung,

I don't know about them getting dealers in Singapore. However, they seem to be back and that's a start in the right direction. :T

Comment

• lvhung
                              • Jun 2005

I saw new web
                              I found the S-150 is 9.5 kg
                              and ss-150 is only 4.9 kg
                              which is I think not heavy enough

Comment

• AvFan
                                • Feb 2006

The weight for the s-150 seems a little low. The original s-150 weighed 24 lbs or 10.9 kg. I wonder why they are lighter?

Also, does anybody know where the M&K intends to build their speakers?

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Heard a rumor, maybe Ca. again. But, I have no clue.

Comment

• luigisdad
                                    • Jan 2008

Hi:
                                    I'm about to start a couple DIY M&K projects:
                                    1. MPS-5420SFBF -- bought the cabinet from a surplus dealer that bought 100 palates of M&K stuff at the bankruptcy sale.
                                    2. MPS-2510PK -- same as above.
                                    3. MPS-1611P -- same as above.

I was able to get the tweeters and the 6.5 M&K drivers for the 1611P as well as the tweeters and the 5.5 drivers for the MPS2510PK. I have not yet bought the 12 inch drivers for the 5420. I also have the crossovers for M&K 1610 (not 1611P).

I currently have the following in my setup:
                                    Fronts: S1-C
                                    Subs: 2 M&K MX-700
                                    Backs -- M&K Bookshelf 75
                                    Center M&K S100

1. First of all, I plan to build all the speakers as passive speakers. Can someone comment if this would be a problem? My thought was that I would cover the plate with solid material and the crossover.
                                    2. For the MPS-5420SFBF, can someone recommend alternative drivers to the stock M&K drivers? I've tried finding the Superfast Deep Bass drivers and they are very difficult to find. I found some drivers on ebay but since it's only rated for 250 watts RMS, I'm not sure if these are the one:

It had the following data for the drivers:

Revc = 7.4440 ohms
                                    Fs = 33.57 Hz.
                                    Zmax = 223.52 ohms
                                    Ro = 40.408 ohms
                                    F0 = 27.861 ohms
                                    F1 = 40.118 ohms
                                    Fmin = 124.205 Hz
                                    Qes = 0.5179
                                    Qms = 14.7085
                                    Qts = 0.5003
                                    Le = 1.8035 mH ( at 1 kHz )
                                    Impedance is 8 ohms
                                    Power Handling is 250 watts RMS

Lastly, I'm getting loaded down with work and thinking of having someone build me these speakers. Can someone recommend a speaker builder in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks very much.
                                    Roy

Comment

• AvFan
                                      • Feb 2006

You've got a challenging project ahead of you. I understand M&K used a variety of tweeters and drivers over time that essentially looked the same, but performed differently. Were you able to positively identify the tweeters and woofers for the speakers you intend to build from parts? I hear there are a few former M&K employees in the LA area but none have surfaced on the "usual suspect" boards for some time. If you can track one of them down you might find your speaker builder.

If your Bookshelf 75s are not in your long-term plans please let me know.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

luigisdad,

You may want to contact Barry Ober at Soundoctor.com. He does consulting and install work. He was with M&K for a number of yrs, heading up the support division. I have no clue what his prices are but, if I were taking on this task, Barry is the man I'd talk to.

Comment

• gianni
                                          • Nov 2002

I saw news on another website that quotes a couple of AV mags stating that M&K is making a comeback under new ownership and Chris from the former company will be heading it up.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Saw there is new activity at the website. Even mention of them at CES. Funny no one in any media seem to mention them being there.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Interesting news

It would appear, a gentlemen in Sweden, has actually received a new set of speakers from the new M&K Sound! I read this on another forum. And he actually posted pictures of his new speakers. He seemed very satisfied with them.

So, it would look to be light at the end of the tunnel. Now, if we could just get some love, here in the states!

Comment

• AvFan
                                                • Feb 2006

Yes, a little love here in the US and some comparison reviews from owners of existing M&K products to know if the new M&K is for real. We can only hope!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Finally! MK Sound has a USA distributor!!! :T Check out MKsounds website.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Cool... are they putting out new product yet?
                                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• artv4
                                                      • Jun 2007

just purchased a usedm&k mx-70 online. wanting to know the specs and opinions. i plan to use it for ht
                                                      GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                        Cool... are they putting out new product yet?
                                                        MKSound has been for a few months now. There just wasn't a US distributor.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by artv4
                                                          just purchased a usedm&k mx-70 online. wanting to know the specs and opinions. i plan to use it for ht
                                                          I don't know the specs. However, it has been reviewed a few times so I'm sure you could find it in a google search.

As for my opinion on it's use for HT, I've never heard the unit myself.

Comment

• isis
                                                            • Jun 2005

I too saw the new site and thought i would be able finish my set up, but this is what Ken wrote back!
                                                            The MK logo was purchased by the people at www.mksoundsystem.com. They are making M&K type product in China under the name MK SOUND, not M&K SOUND. I have heard they might provide service and parts for some M&K products. I do not have anything to do with that company so I only know their plans from their website and press releases and have no idea about the quality or performance of their products.

I do plan to launch a new speaker company soon and certainly will keep you updated about future product availability as well as parts and service on M&K products. I do plan to have a speaker very close to the S-150's but with updated drivers which will match your S-150's perfectly.

In the meantime,

GOOD SOUND TO YOU.....ALWAYS,

KEN KREISEL

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by isis
                                                              I too saw the new site and thought i would be able finish my set up, but this is what Ken wrote back!
                                                              The MK logo was purchased by the people at www.mksoundsystem.com. They are making M&K type product in China under the name MK SOUND, not M&K SOUND. I have heard they might provide service and parts for some M&K products. I do not have anything to do with that company so I only know their plans from their website and press releases and have no idea about the quality or performance of their products.

I do plan to launch a new speaker company soon and certainly will keep you updated about future product availability as well as parts and service on M&K products. I do plan to have a speaker very close to the S-150's but with updated drivers which will match your S-150's perfectly.

In the meantime,

GOOD SOUND TO YOU.....ALWAYS,

KEN KREISEL
                                                              This is very interesting, isis!

I didn't know that Ken had plans to get back into the game anytime soon. If true (not doubting you however, things change), this would truly shake things up in the M&K enthusiasts world. Not to mention, what impact it may have on MK Sound.

There is no doubt, Ken Kreisel can make a fine speaker. I do wonder if he could rebound from losing his company though??? There were a lot of things that made M&K great. Not just great product but exceptional service. However, the last year or so of the companies's existance, not being able to get product to the customer in a timley manner (if at all), may have tarnished some fans.

As for the current MK Sound product...I have only read two different user reports on them. One for the 150's and one on the 750's. Both individuals seemed very pleased with their respective speakers. As with all things, I guess time will tell.

Comment

• mrleafy
                                                                • Nov 2008

hello-
                                                                i'm replying to this post, although old, as my first because you might steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for some s-150 cabinets and was wondering who you got them from. 100 pallets is alot, maybe they have them. any info that anyone can provide will be much appreciated. thanks in advance. mrleafy

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mrleafy
                                                                  hello-
                                                                  i'm replying to this post, although old, as my first because you might steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for some s-150 cabinets and was wondering who you got them from. 100 pallets is alot, maybe they have them. any info that anyone can provide will be much appreciated. thanks in advance. mrleafy
                                                                  Welcome to the Guide, mrleafy!

You best shot for them, are the usual auction sites.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2006

Hi Guys,

What is the story with M&K at the moment? I have always been interested in a 150 THX system but the company seems to be non-existent.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Allegiance
                                                                      Hi Guys,

What is the story with M&K at the moment? I have always been interested in a 150 THX system but the company seems to be non-existent.
                                                                      Well, if you want the original 150's, you'll have to get them used. This is because the M&K folded. The new company "MK Sound" sells the the 150's with a few differences.

While they claim the crossover's are the same as the originals, they have changed the drivers. Also, no more angled front cabinets.

So, if I were a betting man, I'd venture to say, the new speakers will sound different. To some, maybe better, to others...

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Oh, almost forgot, they also changed the foam type and design used on the new speakers.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2006

Thanks for the info.

Where is your sig from? Duke Nukem says something similar which is "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of gum"

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 2703

You're welcome.

Roddy Piper said it in "They Live".

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

M&K was at CEDIA a few months ago. I talked to the guys there a bit. Not about anything worthwhile, but seems like good people.
                                                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Mpowered
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2008
                                                                                • 1

M&K owner for 8 years

Ive enjoyed my M&K speakers ss150.s f,r and center and the M&K 350 sub and the bi polar rears for 8 or 9 years now.
                                                                                The center speaker blew and even after the warranty was out they replaced the speaker with only a phone call and shipping to them.
                                                                                Ive found placement tuning a must but they still sound great. I am impressed with dts music even on favorite music i listen to on my dedecated stereo setup. For instance Steely Dans goucho is tight as hell up front with cymbal shots and horn licks coming from the rear channel. They give music a different dimention which really is fun to listen to.
                                                                                Any way i love em.
                                                                                Rick

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 2703

Originally posted by Mpowered
                                                                                  Ive enjoyed my M&K speakers ss150.s f,r and center and the M&K 350 sub and the bi polar rears for 8 or 9 years now.
                                                                                  The center speaker blew and even after the warranty was out they replaced the speaker with only a phone call and shipping to them.
                                                                                  Ive found placement tuning a must but they still sound great. I am impressed with dts music even on favorite music i listen to on my dedecated stereo setup. For instance Steely Dans goucho is tight as hell up front with cymbal shots and horn licks coming from the rear channel. They give music a different dimention which really is fun to listen to.
                                                                                  Any way i love em.
                                                                                  Rick
                                                                                  Welcome to the Guide, Mpowered!

Cool story. I too still get giddy, after 9 years of ownership. The M&K's are wonderful speakers.

I have that same Steely Dan DTS CD. I concur with your thought's on it's sound. A sweet disc indeed.

Comment

• Isaac
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 151

I have a M&K V-1250THX Subwoofer in my HT room. I also have a B&W ASW825 in my dedicated stereo room. The M&K V-1250THX just kills the B&W on movies. It has way deeper bass and can take a beating, gives you bass you can feel in you bones. Sure wish the original M&K company never left us.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 2703

Well, it seems that MK Sound has new speakers coming!

The "950 THX Select", a system designed to fill between the 750 and 150 speaker systems.

Also the "MX350MKII THX Ultra2". The "MX250 subwoofer" will be offered with the 950 system.

THX cert. is pending on both.

Interestings times are ahead. :T www.mksoundsystem.com/default_2.htm

Comment

• AvFan
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2006
                                                                                        • 45

I find it interesting that the "new" M&K is following in the "old" M&K's footsteps. That is good but also potentially bad. I always thought a new product lineup based upon the most popular M&K models was the key to early success for MKSound. The new 950s seem to fall in the same slot as my 850s. The 850 is a fine 2 1/2 way speaker and is more like the 150s than the 750s but it has limited appeal over the very capable 750. So why would MKSound add a speaker to their lineup that is similar to one that was not one of the best sellers from the old days? IMHO they may be repeating one of the problems of the past: too many models that created support and production problems.

I've only read a couple of posts around the various forums from folks that have purchased MKSound speakers. They were very happy but could not offer any comparisons (e.g. new vs old 150s). I've read comments from a former M&K engineer and he has offered some spotty comparisons on the components in the new speakers compared to what he designed. I continue to look forward to someone with a keen M&K history and the technical ability to review speakers to do a comparison between old and new versions of M&K models. I continue to have hope MKSound will first, survive and then flourish.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 2703

AvFan,

You'll find no arguement from me! Too much of the same. Yes, I do applaud the new company for moving forward...eh, uh, well sort-of. But, I honestly do not understand why we would need a speaker like the 950 either.

And yes, I would love to read a more detailed comparison of the two company's products as well.

What is even more interesting, Ken plans to enter the race again. So what do the M&K diehards (like myself) do then? How much can his new venture ressemble the sound of old? I mean, he did have to sell the Intellectual Property, yes?

I for one think, Ken Kriesel has been a stand up guy. He has always returned emails promptly. And taken great time to explain the answer to any question I've posed to him. So, I really want to wait and see what he pulls out of his hat. Hopefully it will be this year, like his website says.

In the end, I am glad that, the "M&K" name lives on.

Comment

• AvFan
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                                            • 45

Other than ABT do you know of anyone else in the US selling MKSound products? Funny, the last time I looked at ABT's website the MKSound offerings appeared to be a combo of the two companies speakers.

I never had the chance to speak with Ken Kreisel but I spoke with some of his folks (e.g. Barry Ober) starting in about 2004. They were always very gracious and went the extra distance to help me as I entered this hobby/affliction. If the folks I spoke with reflected Ken's approach to customer service I'm sure he is, as you say, a stand up guy.

If Ken is getting back into the speaker business he will have to develop a new speaker line without too many similarities to his old products. I hope we see how creative he can be.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"