X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 851 really sound good with the GAS amp. Its not a high profile set up, but it works for me. Iam glad I opted for the M&Ks At 400 and change it was a bargin.
    This is one of the great parts of owning M&K. You don't need to break the bank to get very satisfying sound. I'll admit, it does get better as you as you invest. I say this because, I've tried my speakers with with a few different amps and processors. Each yield a different response. Once I used them with my 1977 Sansui AU-317 integrated amp. I was really impressed with the results. Even without the use of a sub, what bass that was present was very tight. And the sonics were very, very good!

So keep enjoying that setup, price does not equate substance.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• meltdown
      • Apr 2006

Swapped out the ampzilla with an RB1070 to match the RC1070. Been playing around with this combo for a bit. The sound difference is noticable. Seems fuller. Been looking at Rogue audio stuff, wondering if anyone has had this equipment and what their impression is of it. Would be using it for spinning vinyl, using the M&K's in a smaller room.

Comment

• c_prabhu
        • Dec 2006

S85s vs B1500s vs 650/750's

hi all,
        I'm in the market for a 5.1 system for a 70:30 HT-music usage.. I currently have the Energy Take 5 system which is almost 8 years old and I think it's time to upgrade.. I've heard and read a lot about the M&Ks and with a budget of around $1000, I'm just wondering whether a system with 4 S85s with an S85C or 5 B1500s would be better. My room size is 20ft * 12ft * 9ft. Also, if i go with S85s, what M&K sub would be a good match?.. I'm also looking out for used 650/750 series for around the same price in ebay... Any opinions on the pros/cons of these systems would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hello c_prabhu, And Welome to the Guide!

IMHO, since you've been happy with the Take 5 system filling that space, I can't see you going wrong with any of the systems you have outlined. As far as subs go, the M&K's are solid (BTW, you'll need a sub regardless of the speaker choice). I have heard very few compliants about them. The majority of those that own them, rave about their abilities. With all that being said, I myself went the SVS route. I just found the SVS to offer sound that is equally satisfying at better cost.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Jariten
            • Jun 2000

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Haven't been here in a while

Hapy New Year !!!

(if I don't make it back here before that!)

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Glad to see your still alive Jariten! 8) Happy New Year to you as well.

Comment

• Jariten
                • Jun 2000

Heheheheh ^_^

'Tis the season for upgrades Falalalalfalalalalaaa

Hope that all is well for everyone!

^_^V

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I did go to hear the 850/851 series

I forgot to post this weeks ago! ops:

Went to give them a listen. However was unable to. The dealer had none in stock. Not even to demo.

Did give the 150's a new listen though...as I've stated before, I will own these speakers one day! :B But, they imo are not leaps and bounds over the 750's. Just a little different sound.

Comment

• AvFan
                    • Feb 2006

c_prabhu

My room is almost the same size as yours and I have the 851s for L & R, S125 Center, and Surround 55s. Before these I had K-7s for LCR and K-4s for the surrounds. When I upgraded Barry Ober at M&K recommended the speakers with two mid-bass drivers (850 or 750) versus singles (85, 650) based upon the size of my room. My father has the 85s for LCR in a smaller room and they work very well (8' x 12' x 16'). IMO I'd look around for a good used set of 750s for the front and 550s for the surrounds. 750s show upon on ebay all the time and they would make an excellent setup. They show up on Audiogon too.

I have M&Ks MX-70B and it is terrific in my room. It also had a high WAF because of its small footprint. I see these come up on ebay every few months for $300 to $500 depending upon condition. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their subs except maybe some of the K subs which are probably too small for your room.

I doubt you will be able to get all six speakers within a $1000 budget but with a little luck you might get close and end up with a terrific speaker system at a very reasonable cost. In my case it took me about 9 months to put together my current setup. Enjoy your search!!

Comment

• c_prabhu
                      • Dec 2006

Thanks, John.. and here's wishing you a very happy 2007!!.

I did take the 1st steps towards my M&K system - bought a pair of used SS 55 dipole surrounds on ebay for $450 (decent deal, i suppose??). I'm looking out for 750 LCRs now. To be honest, I'm gravitating towards an SVS sub too...

BTW, what receiver in your opinion would be a good match?.. I have a NAD T753 in mind. Do you think that's a good choice considering the 4 ohms impedance of the speakers?...

Thanks again!...

Prabhu

Comment

• c_prabhu
                        • Dec 2006

Hi AvFan,
                        Thanks for your advice. I did get a pair of SS 55 dipole surrounds for 450 a couple of days back on ebay.. I'm bidding for 750 LCRs as well.. BTW, what receiver are you driving them with... I most certainly need to replace my old Sony... I'm looking at NAD T753... what do you think?

Thanks again and have a great new year!!

Prabhu

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by c_prabhu
                          Thanks, John.. and here's wishing you a very happy 2007!!.

I did take the 1st steps towards my M&K system - bought a pair of used SS 55 dipole surrounds on ebay for $450 (decent deal, i suppose??). I'm looking out for 750 LCRs now. To be honest, I'm gravitating towards an SVS sub too...

BTW, what receiver in your opinion would be a good match?.. I have a NAD T753 in mind. Do you think that's a good choice considering the 4 ohms impedance of the speakers?...

Thanks again!...

Prabhu
                          Happy New Year to you Prabhu!

Congrats on scoring the 55's. To be honest, I haven't kept up with pricing but, it sounds about right.

The NAD site shows that the T753 drives 4 ohm loads so, it should be fine. I have only heard NAD equipment once many yrs ago. But iirc I enjoyed what I heard. Any Chance you could hear the rcvr & spkrs together before purchase? Sound is so subjective, only you can decide if a piece is right for you.

Comment

• AvFan
                            • Feb 2006

prabhu,

You will enjoy the 55s; very nice surrounds and the 750s would match up well. Good luck on your bidding. I recently hooked up my 851s to an Adcom 535 (60w at 8 ohms) and its 60 watts/channel did a very good job. At the volume I listened I couldn't tell the difference from my 200w/channel ATI. So, I agree the 753 should be more than enough to drive the M&Ks. I think NAD has the same power rating regardless of whether the speakers are 8 or 4 ohm. I don't have any experience with NAD but they have a very loyal following.

As a side note; I have an Outlaw pre/pro and understand Outlaw's president was formally with NAD. Some on Outlaw's forum think NAD and Outlaw sound similar. You may want to see if Outlaw's receiver could fit your needs. They are customer service orientated and a real value (no bricks and mortar to pay for).

Comment

• c_prabhu
                              • Dec 2006

Thanks, AvFan.. can't wait to complete my setup, but as you said it might take a while before I get a deal on those LCRs... I've read some rave reviews about the outlaw 1070 too... may be that's an option too.. hmm...
                              Cheers!

Comment

• Jariten
                                • Jun 2000

Another one gets pulled into the M&K land!!
                                Congrats on the purchase !

hope you complete your setup quickly ...
                                sit back and Enjoy!

Comment

• gianni
                                  • Nov 2002

Everyone always talks about moving up. Let me tell you how I am happy with a move down, sort of -

I started out about 9 years ago with a pair of original LCR 55's ($450 for the pair) and an M&K sub. These sounded great (and still do), especially for the money. About 2 years ago, after reading more and more about M&K, I decided to go to a 5.1 setup. After some listening, I was fortunate to score a new set of Maple LCR 850's. Yes, all 3 fronts for $866. For sure, a nice step up over the LCR-55's which then moved to surround duty. A similar sound, but with fuller mid-bass and cleaner more precise highs and of course better dynamics. They are indeed more efficient than the single driver 55's. All was well until.....

...I did a remodel to the living room. My trusty black LCR-55's just looked bad up in the corners of the room and due to some other changes, did not allow optimal mounting. After looking around, I decided to try a set of Maple LCR-25's as surrounds, thinking I would live with the small sacrifice in sound in exchange for the much smaller size and they would match my fronts as well. I got the pair for $349 on the M&K website. Let me say: for a speaker with a frontal area the size of a can of soda, they are amazing. Yes, the small drivers do not have the dynamic capabilities of the larger models. But, you'd be surprised what they will do - loud enough and clean at normal listening levels in my medium size room.

Prior to hanging the 25's in the surround positions, I was curious to see how they sounded compared to the larger M&K's. I positioned them on top of the LCR-850's and did some A/B listening. In addition some of the differences listed above, the image produced is not quite as large or as full bodied as the larger speakers. And, the mid bass is not quite as well defined. However, these litlle suckers will image with the best of them - as in razor sharp. Had I not had the 850's for direct comparison, I'd be tickled pink with the 25's and a sub for 2 ch listening. The LCR-25's are very good for a small speaker. If you need a small speaker in a modestly sized room, do not hesitate. They are real M&K's in a small package with all the M&K qualities you expect. I demoed these to a few friends, and they've been surprised a what these tiny speakers can do. In my case being used as surrounds, I can't really say going to a smaller speaker was a downgrade.

BTW, over the years, I've placed many calls and sent many emails to M&K. Of all of these perhaps 1 or 2 have fallen through the cracks and gone unanswered. A 2nd call always got me a response in these rare cases. This, IMO, is greatly outweighed by the great customer service. Barry Ober in particular has always been extremely helpful. I ordered my 25's 10 days before X-mas and I had them and the brackets the following week - with free shipping. Funny thing was, whoever packed the shipment mistakenly only sent 1 speaker instead of 2. I placed a quick call to M&K that evening and left a voice mail. Now get this: I got a call back from Barry Ober on a Sunday promising to sort this out ASAP. I received the other speaker a few days later. Mistakes happen, but they do try to make it right. What more can you ask for?

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

A very nice post Gianni!

You've hit the nail on several reasons why I have made previous statements as such about my speakers and M&K's service.

1) Not matter how much I want the S-150's, the reason has nothing to do with a dislike for the performance of my 750's. My 750's sound fantastic. I just would like someday to own one of M&K's flagship speakers. :B

2) And as you've stated; customer service (for me thus far) has been outstanding. Barry Ober has always returned any email that I've sent, in a day or less turnaround. With a very detailed response to my questions.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but I have been nothing but happy with my speakers and the support channel for them. That is why I am always concerned when issues arise like the one Chetk had. Then there are those reports that M&K has been extemely slow getting the S-150 out the door to fulfill orders. Hopefully, M&K has gotten the items under control and are doing a better job at them. With so much going for them, it is these type of issues that can turn your company the other direction. No matter how good your product maybe.

I wonder if the professional side of the house has had any of the same
                                    problems?

BTW, congrats on the purchases and finding satisfaction in the smaller speakers. :T

Comment

• Jariten
                                      • Jun 2000

M&K is just great...

everyone I talk to is just helpful...

=)

Comment

• Jariten
                                        • Jun 2000

oh..I DOWNGRADED !!!!

in the video department...
                                        sold my SONY HS-10 .....bought a Barco 1209s with brand new tubes...

LOL

Comment

• Chetk
                                          • May 2004

Bad news folks. M&K is now out of business. :M :M :M

Comment

• Jariten
                                            • Jun 2000

ChetK

do we know why?
                                            what happened?

I just tried e-mailing Ken Kreisel

wonder if he'll reply

this sucks

o_O

Comment

• John Holmes
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

We have recently discovered counterfeit product being sold internationally under the Miller & Kreisel Sound (M&K) name and trademark, probably manufactured in China, possibly shipped through the USA. This product may appear to be nearly identical to legitimate product, but its quality and performance in all likelihood does not meet M&K standards and has not been subject to M&K’s legendary quality control process.
                                              This seems like a strange reason to close your plant down??? Very disturbing indeed!

BTW, Congrats on the upgrade Jariten. :T

Comment

• Sithlord
                                                • Aug 2004

Thats really sad news. I bought the S-5000 THX 5.1 system (discontinued now), which is simply amazing and was my 1st step into high end gear. The only thing I have changed is the subwoofer. I have an SVS PB12/4 formally known as the B4+ but the rest of the speakers are awesome. I hope they come back bigger and better than ever with a new website I hope.

Comment

• AvFan
                                                  • Feb 2006

The web site notes that they have found some clones from China, well welcome to Callaway and Nike's world. I think finding clones is an odd reason to go out of business. Maybe this has been going on for some time and M&K got tired of fighting. Their site says send them an email and they'll explain further; I'm waiting for their reply. This could be very sad news if they have gone out of business.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                    • Jun 2000

AVfan

I did send an E-mail out...no answer yet...

o-O

I wonder if their sales have plummeted because of the bad rap caused by these "fakes" found out in Asia....

Gahh....

John

My "upgrade" should be here on Friday or the following monday...
                                                    it just cleared customs between US-and Canada.....

^______^

Comment

• AvFan
                                                      • Feb 2006

I hadn't heard anything about counterfits and their web site only mentions their plasma 150s were faked. I was told by more than one dealer that M&K was exceptionally slow to fill orders and folks were waiting months to get their speakers. One dropped M&K because of slow delivery. I have not ordered anything via a dealer in the last four years and my 851s were purchased from their online store about 18 months ago without a hitch. M&K's site tried to explain the delays by saying the test and listen to each speaker and that they only had three techs that could do that. I appreciate QA/QC but to bottleneck production with only three techs is wierd. I think there is a demand for their speakers and I hope the company returns with new ownership or management. If not for some future purchase I'd like to make then to stand behind the 10-year warranty I have on my 851s and my MX-70B sub.

Comment

• gianni
                                                        • Nov 2002

Sad news indeed. When I read the website, I do not take it to mean that the fakes were behind this. To me this seems to be an unrelated warning.

It says the Chatsworth factory is closing but gives no hint at what the future holds for the company. I hope that it will remain in business in some capacity from another location. As an extra benefit, the 10yr warranty support would be nice too.

I can't imagine the fakes being the root cause of this. A big chunk of their business is on the pro side and I can't imagine a company like 20th Century Fox running around to buy fakes for a few bucks less, not to mention they aren't the real thing with no factory support. I would guess this is more related to their ongoing production issues - perhaps production costs in L.A. just don't make it viable anymore. Time will tell - let's hope for the best.

Comment

• p.las
                                                          • Feb 2007

Hallo,i am living in denmark so my reiding isnt so good.i hade purchased lcr 750 thx with k4 tripole.Will it be worht the extra money to purchase tripole 55?
                                                          what is the differnts?New M&K speakers in denmark is no problem,He said that the produktion still is going(dealer)
                                                          i hope you understand.
                                                          Peter denmark

Comment

• AvFan
                                                            • Feb 2006

p.las

I replaced the K-4s with the 55s. The 55s match the LCR 750 while the K-4s match the other K series speakers. The 55s and the 750s have the same mid-range woofers and tweeters. I recommend you exchange the K-4s for the surround 55s. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

• p.las
                                                              • Feb 2007

what will the difference be?dynamic or timbre match
                                                              peter
                                                              Last edited by p.las; 02 March 2007, 06:38 Friday.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                • Jun 2000

No detailed info...Answer from Ken Kreisel

Toni,

It's no April Fools.

I am sorry it took me so long to send you a reply but I'm getting hundreds of emails every day from all over the world.

Hopefully I will have more general answers for you in a few weeks, as well as information about orders, repairs, and parts and will email you with more details as soon as possible.

Rest assured, my love and passion has always been and will continue to be to design and build the world's best loudspeakers.

I apologize in advance if any future email from you is not answered immediately by me due to the very large volume of emails I am receiving at this time.

In the meantime,

Good Sound To You.....Always,

KEN KREISEL

Comment

• lexiphanic
                                                                  • Feb 2007

Wow. Impressive that he wanted to address all his customers personally.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Well, this is interesting timing. In the last few days, I've actually taken a significant interest in M&K speakers, right as this announcement came out that they were stopping production. I too E-mailed them, but haven't heard back yet. I'm very interested to see how this comes out soon.
                                                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2000

I'll post any answers from Ken Kreisel as they are relevant

^^

I had exchanged a lot of e-mails in the past with him

Chris D...

hope you get something that is still out there!

Comment

• AvFan
                                                                        • Feb 2006

p.las,

M&K speakers can be divided into two groups based upon their tweeter. The K series of speakers have tweeters shaped like ( ) while the higher end speakers are square. The LCR 750s and Surround 55s both have the square tweeter. For the best timbre match M&K (when they were in business) recommended that all the speakers in your home theater use the same tweeter. Besides M&K's recommendation my personal experience with the Surround 55s is why I suggested you trade the K-4s for the Surround 55s.

Comment

• p.las
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AvFan
                                                                          p.las,

M&K speakers can be divided into two groups based upon their tweeter. The K series of speakers have tweeters shaped like ( ) while the higher end speakers are square. The LCR 750s and Surround 55s both have the square tweeter. For the best timbre match M&K (when they were in business) recommended that all the speakers in your home theater use the same tweeter. Besides M&K's recommendation my personal experience with the Surround 55s is why I suggested you trade the K-4s for the Surround 55s.
                                                                          i will try that.The dealer got them 10/3
                                                                          thanks
                                                                          peter
                                                                          denmark

Comment

• spyboy
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2005
                                                                            • 118

Hi Ken

I just bought a new-in-the box S150AC. It should be here on Friday or Monday. I am very excited. This should be the last center channel speaker I need to buy.
                                                                            One day soon I may buy the matching L&R.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2000
                                                                              • 271

Spyboy....

Yes....definitely...

=)))

Comment

• pbarach
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Feb 2007
                                                                                • 67

Originally posted by lexiphanic
                                                                                Wow. Impressive that he wanted to address all his customers personally.
                                                                                Not all of them. I've sent two messages to him concerning a replacement grille that I was promised for my brand-new M&K sub and haven't gotten any response.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Dec 2000
                                                                                  • 16877

I still haven't heard back from the E-mail that I sent them asking what the story was. But we'll see.
                                                                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• spyboy
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2005
                                                                                    • 118

Originally posted by spyboy
                                                                                    Hi Ken

I just bought a new-in-the box S150AC. It should be here on Friday or Monday. I am very excited. This should be the last center channel speaker I need to buy.
                                                                                    One day soon I may buy the matching L&R.
                                                                                    Just got the S150AC. It is very cold here and it is going to sit for a while to warm up. Too bad I can't fit it in the microwave oven

Comment

• maconyankee
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2007
                                                                                      • 1

Well here it is. M&K have filed chapter 7. You can read the article here:
                                                                                      John Atkinson forwarded a message to me on February 26 from reader Peter Clissold: "The Miller and Kreisel website is indicating that operations there are closed." Sure enough, when I went there, the page had little more than the following message: "As of Thursday, Feb 22, the M&K Factory is closed. For more information regarding Ken Kreisel's recent decision to close the M&K Chatsworth factory after 34 years, please email Ken Kreisel directly."

It's a sad situation, I have had my M&Ks for twenty some years, never found anything better to replace them. I am glad I got new drivers from M&K last summer and two new subs. Still believe M&K are the best speakers. Good luck to Ken Kreisel he is a good man and I hope to listen to speakers from him in the future.

Comment

• p.las
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2007
                                                                                        • 10

do you install you tripole in 90 or 110 degrees?

peter

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 2703

p.las,

I'm going to assume that tripole installation is identical to dipole. Both are suppose to accomplish the same thing with exception, the tripole will give the added sense of directionality.

But I'm sure you could downloald the manual from the M&K website for accurate info.

PS. Welcome to the Guide! :T

Comment

• p.las
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2007
                                                                                            • 10

the user manuel said 90, barry ober from M&K said 110 degrees.I hope that orders ther had tripole will give me and ansver.I have just pechassed the 55 tripole and i think the are very dominant vs my old k4 tripole.I am sitting close to the sidewalls, about 6 feed, and the speakers is mountet 7 feed from floor
                                                                                            peter

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"