• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jariten
    Rolyasm

When I auditionned the M&K speakers @ Denon Columbia back in Japan , the room was very similar to your room size..

the M&K 150 had no problem at all and the SS150 were used as sides
    this was a 5.1 setup with the S150 as LCR and SS150 for surrounds and MX 5000THX MKII as a sub...
    the system was composed of the Denon DVD 5000THX and the Denon AV1 surround processor/amp combo

my current stup consists of the S-150 LCR, the MPS2525 (same as SS250) for the sides, SS150 for rears and MX 5000THX MKII for the sub...

though my listening area is not as big as yours...I typically top out at -20dB on the Parasound C1 before wife walks in and complains.../plaster starting to come off walls etc....

I use a Parasound 2205A for the LCR and sides, and 2 Marantz MX500 for the rears...

(curretnly in JFK airport...someone walking with a car audio amplifier unde rhis arm..o_O)

end of line>_
    Jaretin,

I was hoping you'd respond. I knew you were better suited to answer this question. ;x(
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Jariten
      • Jun 2000

:T

Hi There..

yeah..sorry that I don't get one the forum more often...
      travelling too much between NY, California and Florida....

can't stay still!!!

=))

Comment

• Sponge
        • May 2006

Hey all...

BIG fan of MK and looking for more feedback on the rest of their line. I use to own a V75 and wish I still had it. I am looking at the mid level of their line. I listened to a set at Barretts the other day briefly and definately going back for some serious listening.

They were the small bookshelves w/the arched metal grill? Can't recall the model...

I am heavily considering the 600 series and now want to do more research on the MK's. Their website is very difficult to get an idea of the differences between models and well...its pretty much a mess. Its like Ken Kreisel did it himself LOL!

The S-150's is what everyone talks about and they are great but I don't believe they are within my budget limits right now. Finishing the basement w/all the amenties w/home theater.

Thanks for your feedback or any direction on other sites.
        Old HT guy getting back into it!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hello Sponge, And :welcome: aboard!!!

Nice to hear from another M&K enthusiast! I too oneday hope to own the 150's. However, I own the 750's (see my avatar) and am very, very happy with them. My desire to someday own the 150's is just greed!!! :twisted: :B

I'm not sure which speakers you listen to. They (M&K) have a few models that match your discription. But I must admit, I've yet to hear an M&K speaker that I didn't like.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Sponge
            • May 2006

Thanks John!

I am not sure either the 750's make sense by their appearance but not at the price point he gave me. I am going to go back into the store next week and get a better listen to them.

Do you have any experience with the Xenon or the K series?

According to their website its about $200 between each series...K to Xenon to 650/750's to the 850's

There is no price difference between the 600's to the 700's? From what I can decifer on the website the 600's have same tweeter as the 800's hence the same price as the 700's.

The kicker on all of these is the price of the stands cost nearly what the speakers do!

Comment

• Sponge
              • May 2006

^correction after reading more on the 750's that is what I was listening to.

I am forced to the rear's in the ceiling. The sales rep also recommended doing the SW51 for the rear's.

What is a good price on these? Their website has an MSRP of $799 pr...I have been quoted $300 ea, $260 for the stands (ouch), Rear's $320

This seems like a good price to me...Its boiling down to these vs. the B&W 602's...nice thing is this store sells both so a side by side will decide!

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Sorry it's been a couple of days Sponge. I've been busy doing family things.

As far as the K-series and the Xenon series, they sound good for what they are but, I really don't care for woofers that are smaller than 5". I also prefer dual woofers if the woofs are 5.25". This makes for a little more punch and clarity of the midrange, as well as makes the speaker more efficient.

I agree with you about the cost of M&K's stands. They seem to be on the high side for sure. Though they are designed to match the speakers thus, making them a more secure unit when used together. And some of them allow for vast articulation of the speaker.

I'm sure you'd be happy with either M&K or B&W. The majority of the reviews are very positive about multiple speakers in various lines of both companies. Only your budget and ears can make the choice.

I bought my 750's when they first hit the streets. This was six yrs ago. The price has gone up since then.

Comment

• Sponge
                  • May 2006

Thanks for the feedback John. I have the same sentiments...I am also considering in wall's on the front which I hate the sound of at first but I have a baby on the way and I just shutter at the thought of a toddler pulling speaker onto its head.

Maybe mount the 750's on the wall? hmmm...wander what that would sound like!

Argh life is so full of difficult decisions!

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sponge
                    Thanks for the feedback John. I have the same sentiments...I am also considering in wall's on the front which I hate the sound of at first but I have a baby on the way and I just shutter at the thought of a toddler pulling speaker onto its head.

Maybe mount the 750's on the wall? hmmm...wander what that would sound like!

Argh life is so full of difficult decisions!
                    I fully understand the concerns with the little one. I've had my 750's within 2 feet of the front wall and they sound good. But they sound much , much better at the current 4.25ft mark I have them at now. :T

Comment

• Sponge
                      • May 2006

That's what I figured...we shall see.

Comment

• Sponge
                        • May 2006

Hey John what do you think of the new 750 towers they are introducing...I emailed them yesterday about it and got this response.

The 750 towers are pretty heavy as, you will have no problem as far as them tipping over.These towers are a limited time only product which use our latest crossover and the transmission line tweeter, which the regular 750's do not come with.These towers also give you better mid bass response compared to the original 750's.These towers are like 750's on steroids.I have listened to them extensively and they sound much better then the original 750's.
                        I am really thinking about these...its them or the Monitor plasma line up...

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Holy Crap! Didn't know about them. I'm going to their site for a look see right now.

Comment

• John Holmes
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Well, after a quick look see... :huh: I'm confused. I saw a statement that read, the speakers are identical to the originals, just in a tower configuration. And, unless my math is way off, it's cheaper to purchase the speaker and stands instead of the towers. Speakers are $399.00 ea., stands $299.00 pr., the towers are $650.00 ea.

M&K had the right idea. Making a tower version made sense. But I'm not sure how they will justify the price difference.

Comment

• Sponge
                              • May 2006

Read thru the specs and one of the write up's they use a new crossover and tweeter...I believe the crossover is quite a bit better. Hence his response how much better they sound.

Additionally I think that the towers would cost more due to wood and finish than the stand would? Hence the extra weight too...

I so wish they were on a showroom floor to check them out...may have to buy them

Comment

• Sponge
                                • May 2006

Hence the price I am sure that they are worth the extra 50 bucks...but the discount I we can get a regular retailer its more like an extra 200 :roll:

And for a limited time, we're introducing these speakers by building them with the full Professional Driver Set including the Professional Transmission Line Tweeter previously reserved for our Professional nearfield monitors and the 850 series models.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

The LCR750THX satellite speaker is one of our most popular products of all time. Because so many enthusiasts have combined this speaker with its matching LDM speaker stand, we've taken the next logical step and created a new tower version of the LCR750THX - The exact same speaker is now built INTO the stand ! These elegant towers use the identical components as the original to deliver the same performance - and they are available in multiple finishes including genuine wood veneers! Also available in a special Horizontal Center channel version (currently only in Black), shown at left. Please contact the factory with additional questions.
                                  I've only found the above in two different locations on their site. So again, something doesn't add up. Ironically, I heard a very similiar statement being made "The new 750 THX Select speaker has the same tweeter and crossover that is used in our acclaimed S-150 THX speakers.", when the 750's first launched a little over six yrs ago. Maybe I'm just getting to old to recall what was being said back then. I probably got it all screwed up.

But I also thought it was strange that, M&K made new woofers for the 750's not more than a yr or so after the 750's release, thus the MKII ver of the 750 was born. Strange because, the original 750 speaker took 4 or 5 awards for sound upon it release.

Please don't get me wrong. I do like M&K. I love their sound. I'm just curious how they always seem to leak this kind of info.

BTW, I own the original series which still rocks the house with no issues.

Comment

• Sponge
                                    • May 2006

My bet would be the new woofers happened due to production/supply issues with the original woofer.

It is strange...I hate to make a decision w/o listening to them. I have a few weeks to stew on it.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

I would try to listen to them first also.If they have indeed changed things, they will (as you know already) sound different from the bookshelf model. I may try to go to my dealer this weekend to see if they have them in. I liked to hear them as well.

Comment

• Sponge
                                        • May 2006

According to their website they are a direct only web deal...hence full price. It also says they are going to make them for a limited time...whatever that means...

Comment

• John Holmes
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Ah...ok. Well, that's going to make it difficult to hear the new upgrades! :B

Now I understand why your decision making process has become harder. Maybe we will get lucky and a review will pop up in the next week. Or better yet, someone else will pull the trigger that have heard the standard 750's, and give us some insight.

Comment

• Sponge
                                            • May 2006

I like your thinking...can I have a little of what your smoking? LOL

Comment

• John Holmes
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sponge
                                              I like your thinking...can I have a little of what your smoking? LOL
                                              :rofl:

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Hey Sponge,

I finally found the info on the 750's that you posted. It only has the info in question under the M&K online purchase section. The rest of the site has the info I listed.

It also seems that the upgraded items are listed as a limited time deal. My guess is that, the speakers will become part of the regular inventory but, without the upgrades after the promo period. Initially, I thought this new "speaker" would only be available for that time. But now I understand that it is the upgraded version of it that is limited.

Sorry I was so confused on the issue.

Comment

• Sponge
                                                  • May 2006

No prob it took me a few times thru the site before I found that too. Their website is long over due for a makeover. I think Ken Kreisel must have done it with MS Front Page

Comment

• AvFan
                                                    • Feb 2006

One of my first posts to this forum, and I'm a big M&K fan. I originally started with a K7s for LCR and K4s for surrounds. I have upgraded to 851s for L and R and a 125C for the center. I replaced the K4s with Surround 55s. The constant in both systems is a MX-70B subwoofer. At the same time I upgraded the speakers I replaced a Pioneer Elite reciever with an Outlaw 990 and an ATI 5 channel amp (300 w/channel at 4 ohms). All of this is in a room that is 15' wide and about 22' long with an 8' ceiling. My listening position is about 11' from center speaker. All my current speakers share the same pro tweeter used in the 150 series as well as the same woofer. I spent a lot of time conversing with M&K before making the upgrades and was assured they would all work well together. The new speakers are significantly better than the Ks. IMO this is largely due to the tweeter. I can only imagine what the 150s sound like with three of those tweeters.

I look over M&K's cumbersome site pretty often looking for a sweet deal. My 851s were new, but a discontinued color and so $300 off MSRP. I admit to drooling over the MX-70B with the new superfast drivers....

I'm glad to see there are M&K enthusiasts on this forum.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Hello AvFan, Welcome to the Guide!

Congrats on the upgrades to your system. It's made up of very nice gear.

Like you, I'm extremly happy with my current M&K's but, would love to someday on the 150's. Just because...well there really isn't a better reason, I just want them!!! :B

BTW, sweet deal on the speakers. They always sound better when you can get them at a great price.

Comment

• AvFan
                                                        • Feb 2006

General question:

M&K used to make wall mounts that would work with their heavier speakers that would tip and swivel (ST series) but they are now discontinued. I think the price for flat wall mounts was $165. Does anybody know of wall mounts that are beefy enough to support my 851s that swivel and tip?

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

I have never used them myself. So, I'm not really up to snuff in that area. You may try to get a set on ebay though. I see a lot of M&K items there from time to time. Maybe even Audigon.

Have you looked in M&K's outlet store on their website?

Comment

• AvFan
                                                            • Feb 2006

Yes, unfortunately they don't have any for sale at M&K. I saw a pair on ebay a few months ago but I didn't need (eh, want) them at the time. Oh well, the search continues.

Right now I have the 851s mounted in the corners of the room and angled towards the sweet spot. I put them there for asthetic reasons but now I plan on moving them in towards my wall mounted plasma in hopes of getting the full benefit of the crossover. According to Barry at M&K I should be able to use white noise to align the speakers so a stereo source lines up right in the middle of your forehead when sitting at the sweet spot. He described it as snapping into place. I find myself listening to more music now that I have better equipment and I like that sharp stereo effect. It may not be the best setup when there are several viewing/listening but I'd like to give it a try. The swivel/tip wall mounts are necessary to align the speaker to the sweet spot using white noise.

Has anyone aligned their speakers using white noise?

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

I actually asked Barry the same question a few yrs ago. He gave me the same response that you received from him. I have it outlined on the first page of this thread. The white noise works.

Comment

• Sponge
                                                                • May 2006

Hey John I bit the bullet! and your going to crap your pants when you hear this...

I went into ABT today to buy the 750's for the front and SW50's for the rear's...as well as Panny 50" plasma, wetbar fridge, and all the necessary gear to go with it.

Well ABT is getting out of MK because of supply issues...they are such a high volume store MK can't keep up with them. SO MK's loss is my gain...

They closed out the 150's to me for 480 ea!!! I got the LCR for under $1,500! and the SW50's for the rear's one was 194 one for 298. the cheaper one was from a display and had never been hooked up the other was new in the box. Hence the price difference.

My Cards win the World Series last night and now I get my dream speakers!!!

I had to share it with someone that would be happy for me because most people are out of touch with these great speakers.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Holy Crap is right Batman!!! :rofl:

Wow Sponge! Congrats on the big score. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. That was one fantastic deal. I'm glad that it happened to a person that could really appreciate what they are getting for the money.
                                                                  I wish you much success and enjoyment of your incredible score.

Comment

• Sponge
                                                                    • May 2006

Thanks John! I can't quit smiling! They are delivering them with my TV next week so I have a week of hell in front of me waiting.

On another note they only had 2 of the wall brackets to hang the speakers...I need a third. Because MK has quit making them (which sucks) do you have a recommendation on any brackets? I already contacted MK...

I just ordered a THX sign for the home theater LOL!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Try www.radioshack.com and then do a search for speaker wall mounts. There are a couple there that should fit the bill for you.

Let us know when you get everything rockin!

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

What a great deal. I'm happy for you.

The thing about M&K is that they really do have a hard time meeting demand (which is very difficult for me to understand). When I bought my 150P's, the dealer told me that they would love to do more volume with them, but they couldn't because M&K couldn't keep up.

I have spoken with Ken K. (the "K" in "M&K") and I think he's a great guy, but if it were my business, I think I'd hire knowledgable people that could build and test these speakers and sell a LOT more product. But, then again, I'm not Ken nor am I in the speaker building business.

Comment

• Sponge
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • May 2006

Will do John...and Chet I hear you.

When you have a store like ABT in Chicago that has to be the highest volume electronics store in area and they drop you because of a supply issue you need to evaluate the channels you sell into.

The shop I worked at in college was a high end specialty hi-fi store and we dropped MK too because of supply. Subs went out as quickly as they came in...we picked up Monitor to replace them.

They make top notch products but its hard to stay in business when you don't keep up with demand.

I can't wait till Friday. I may have to take the day off!

Comment

• Sponge
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 71

So I called MK on suggestions for the remaining speaker bracket I need...

They recommended the Omni 60W...so a buddy of mine that does custom install stuff orders me one. It came two days ago and this thing is a HUGE it looks like it would hold a TV up.

So last night the finishing work is done and I am ready to hang some speakers well I test fit the Omni and holes don't match up to the 150's at all? ARGH!

So my hunt continues...I found a pair of 25lb mounts at Magonlia/Best Buy hoping they will work. I think they will hold the weight and I will put heavier bolts/screws in than it comes with.

I never in my mind thought the damn mounting bracket would be what's holding me up! THIS SUCKS!!!

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2004
                                                                              • 247

Boggles my mind that M&K would discontinue making wall brackets to hold up their own speakers. I understand they want to continue building what they build best (which is speakers), but it's hard to recommend the speakers to someone if they can't get the proper mounts for their application.

Hey, at least you don't have the 150P's. Those things are heavy and require heavy duty mounts.

Comment

• meltdown
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Apr 2006
                                                                                • 58

851's

Picked up a pair of 851's and I'am very pleased with these speakers. The sound quality is great. I'm using them with a Rotel RC1070 and RB1070, in stereo mode, along with a Pro-ject Debut turntable. Also powered them with an old GAS amp, they are very impressive for their size. I utilized a Phase sub that I had to add a little bass. I feel that they were a real bargin for the price.

Comment

• Sponge
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 71

^congrats

So I got all of mine hung up and almost dialed in! What a pain...I have already learned a lot of what I would change for the next basement remodel

Everything sounds incredible...I will try to get some pics snapped tonight.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 2703

Hello Meltdown,

Glad to hear your enjoying those 851's. I've still not listened to them. I'd love to hear the difference between them and the 750's I own. I may just swing by the dealer this weekend to check them out.

Sponge,

That was interesting that M&K would tell you about a bracket that doesn't work for your application. Not a good move from the customer support aspect. I hope you told them about it. I'm glad you did find some that worked though.

So they are up and running. And now comes the fun part. Listening, tweaking, listening, tweaking, listening....I think you get my drift!!! Looking forward to the pic's.

Comment

• Sponge
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 71

^no I didn't tell them...I talked to the guy personally and didn't get his name. The 2 e-mail's I sent went unanswered.

Makes me wonder about the future of this company which is sad...the set I bought I had to take an angle grider to but it worked out with little effort.

Yep lots of listening and tweaking ahead. I haven't really even began!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 2703

Makes me wonder about the future of this company which is sad...the set I bought I had to take an angle grider to but it worked out with little effort.
                                                                                        Well, the sad part is, they make the real money on the professional side of the house. And though I think they do a lot from the customer support aspect (more than most other speaker mfg's), accurate info for your client is paramount. I hope this is an isolated incident.

With great sounding speakers, come great responsibility! :rofl:

Comment

• AvFan
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                                          • 45

Meltdown,

I also have the 851s combined with an s125c and Surround 55s in a HT setup. I purchased the 851s first to replace M&K K-7 for the left and right. I found I was listening to more music than HT or TV and I wanted the improved performance. Barry Ober was right, the improvement was stunning. The center and surrounds match nicely but the 851's see a lot of use in stereo combined with MX-70B sub. Glad you enjoy your setup.

Comment

• meltdown
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                                            • 58

M&K

Yeah, I really enjoy their sound. I had to rob the Phase sub from my other set up, and Iam looking now for a replacement. The 851 really sound good with the GAS amp. Its not a high profile set up, but it works for me. Iam glad I opted for the M&Ks At 400 and change it was a bargin.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"