Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Jariten,

Have a safe trip!

ChetK,

Sorry to hear about your speaker.

That is really suprising!!! I was reading all the testing that M&K does on each speaker, before it is shipped. And this is the reason that they take so long to get the speakers out the door and into their customers hands. So I am more than floored by this. Please let us know how it turns out.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chetk
      • May 2004

Update on my situation:

It turns out that it's not just one speaker, but...are you sitting down?...three of the speakers.

With the two speakers that still work, I have plugged them into the 5 outputs on the receiver and I do get audio. I can't believe I've had these speakers for 4 months and I've had this many problems. Why would three speakers go out at the same time? If it was a power surge, wouldn't it effect all 5 speakers?

Here's my setup:
      • Front Left and Rear Left are using the same power. Front Left speaker went out and Rear Left speaker did not go out.
      • Center, Front Right and Rear Right are using the same power. Center went out and Rear Right speaker went out, but Front Right Speaker plays fine.

I even tried using the Balanced Input 2 (as opposed to input 1). Then, I tried running an RCA cable from the output of the C1 to each RCA input on each bad speaker with no luck. These things just don't want to play audio.

What I also don't understand is that if there was a power surge, why are these things even powering up? Wouldn't it knock everything out of commission. I checked all breakers and fuses and everything is hunky dory. And I'm not having problems with ANY other electronics in my house (including Satellite receiver, TV, etc.)

One last note: My wife cleaned out the "junk" room LAST week and threw away all, but 1, of my boxes. M&K requires that you ship the speakers in their original boxes. So now, I'm stuck sending in one at a time. These speakers weight 45 lbs. each. Can you imagine how much it's going to cost me to send these to them? When I first purchased these speakers, I tried really hard to buy them straight from M&K, but M&K made me purchase through a local dealer. So, now that I'm having problems, I'm going to let my local dealer pay to ship them to M&K. Of course, I'll still have to ship one at a time. :cry:

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ok, one thing that has me baffled. are you using a seperate amp to power the fronts and rears instead of the built-in amps?

As for shipping, for the price that the S-150p's are, as long as they are packed to prevent damage, I don't understand why they would not take them. But, if the packing of the S-150p is anything like my 750's (which I'm sure it is) I can understand them "preferring" one to use the original boxes. It would take some extreme mishandling during shipping, to damage a speaker from this company.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chetk
          • May 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
          Ok, one thing that has me baffled. are you using a seperate amp to power the fronts and rears instead of the built-in amps?
          No. I'm using the C1 receiver to provide Unbalanced audio to each of the five S-150P's via XLR cables.

As for shipping, for the price that the S-150p's are, as long as they are packed to prevent damage, I don't understand why they would not take them. But, if the packing of the S-150p is anything like my 750's (which I'm sure it is) I can understand them "preferring" one to use the original boxes. It would take some extreme mishandling during shipping, to damage a speaker from this company.
          Yeah, the S-150P boxes came with specially fitted packing braces to take hard hits if bumped. These amps are heavy so I can see how mishandling them could cause a lot of damage. Plus, I don't want to add another variable for M&K to say I owe them another penny.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Ah, ok. Have you tried to run them using their internal amps (maybe something gets bypassed)?

I do agree with you on not wanting to give M&K another reason to say we have a problem. My comment was geared at the (what I believe to be) very decent warranty that they offer as well as, for the cost of the products (M&K's aren't cheap, especially the models you own) they should be able to do little more at meeting yoy halfway or something on the shipping. Afterall, this is a second outage within 4 months.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Ah, ok. Have you tried to run them using their internal amps (maybe something gets bypassed)?
              Ok...please exuse my ignorance of how a powered speaker works. ops: I didn't know that they have no conventional binding post.

Well, I hope that M&K takes care of the problem pronto. That shipping one speaker at a time will have your system down for quite sometime, if they do not expedite accordingly.

Comment

• Chetk
                • May 2004

Well, I think I'm just not going to worry about it. Worrying is like a rocking chair: You put your heart into it and it never takes you anywhere.

I'm taking the three speakers to my dealer for him to deal with it. I'll let you know the outcome.

Comment

• Jariten
                  • Jun 2000

:T
                  Hey Chetk !

what's the status?
                  did your dealer find anything wrong?

I'm curious to know what's wrong....

^_^''

Comment

• Chetk
                    • May 2004

I was working all Mon. - Fri. and my dealer isn't exactly close to me (about 45 min. to an hour away - one way). So I'm taking them by there tomorrow so they can ship them off on Mon.

I'll keep you posted. I promise. :wink:

Comment

• Jariten
                      • Jun 2000

Ok good ...

we want to know ^_^

Comment

• Chetk
                        • May 2004

Just an update:

I dropped off the speakers on Monday, the 21st at my dealer's place. I'm assuming they have sent them to M&K and they haven't received anything back yet since I haven't heard from them.

That's all I got for now. I basically told them to call me when they're ready for me to pick them up.

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Good. At least the process has started. Let's hope for a speedy turn around!

Comment

• Jariten
                            • Jun 2000

Hmmm
                            how old were they?

A replacement would have been nice

Keep us posted!

Comment

• Chetk
                              • May 2004

I got them in Feb.

Comment

• Chetk
                                • May 2004

So last week, my wife and I went on a 7-day cruise (from July 4th through the 11th). I figured that would give M&K plenty of additional time to fix the speakers and get them back to my dealer (I gave them to my dealer on June 21).

I called my dealer yesterday and the owner (who always handles my issues) was with a customer. So I left a message. I never received a call back (which probably indicates that he doesn't have them yet and that he needs to contact M&K to get a status). So, since I haven't heard back, I just e-mailed him now.

He tends to get back to me via e-mail a lot better than ever calling me back. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I'm still not worrying (like stated above), just getting anxious to get my speakers back. I have no 5.1 and it's killing me. :cry:

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Glad to hear you and the misses got a chance to get away!

I can imagine how you feel, not having your system to turn on at will. I often think about not having 5.1 and going back to just plain stereo. Then I wake up. I would kick myself everytime I watched a film. :B Let's hope the speakers are back home soon. :T

Comment

• Chetk
                                    • May 2004

Thanks John! Still hoping. :cry:

Comment

• Chetk
                                      • May 2004

Oh Man Oh Man!!! You don't know HOW pi$$ed off I am right now!!! :evil: :M :evil: :M :evil: :M

I just called my dealer and my contact was out on vacation until Tues. of next week. However, the guy I spoke to, told me that they (my dealer's shop) JUST sent them out at the beginning of this week!!! :M :M :M :M He said that M&K probably just received them today!!! :M :M

I hate my dealer so bad right now!!! Why the HE|| would it take them sooooooooo long to ship them out?!?!?! I can guarantee that my dealer put them in the back of his store and FORGOT to send them in. Once I e-mailed my dealer over the weekend, I bet it reminded him that he forgot to send them, and jumped on it! How can you forget that you have to send three big-@$$ M&K 150P's to M&K?

Man, I'm so pi$$ed off right now. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Oh man! I am really sorry to hear this. That is really piss poor service. After you (anyone) spends that kind of money, service should be a non-issue. While I applaud the honesty of not trying to place the blame elsewhere, there is no excuse for this not being a priority.

Goodluck.

Comment

• Chetk
                                          • May 2004

5 Weeks now and still counting.

I spoke with my dealer at the beginning of last week and he said that he took the liberty of removing the amps from my speakers and just sent in the amps to M&K. :M He said he thought that they would probably get damaged by UPS. You see, M&K requires that you send in the speakers with their original box and I had only kept one of the original boxes (I thought, "If more than one go out, it probably won't be at the same time." Boy was I wrong.) Anyhow, M&K definitely needed the entire speaker so that they could "tune" the amps to each speaker. I can definitely respect that. That's why I'm upset at my dealer for removing the amps and sending only that part of each unit.

So, since M&K only takes each speaker in their original boxes, my dealer had to get new boxes shipped to them from M&K. At the beginning of last week, my dealer had not yet received the boxes. But he told me that, when he did receive them, he'd send out the rest of the speakers. So, I'm guessing that he received the boxes and sent them to M&K last week (probably UPS ground). I'd be lucky if M&K has even received them yet to do the testing.

The up side is that M&K said the amps are already fixed and they only need the speakers for tuning. Hopefully that won't take long. Anyway, I might see them in a couple of weeks (making it about 7 to 8 weeks that I was without my speakers. :roll: :cry:

Comment

• John Holmes
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

This is really getting crazy. It just makes since that they would need them in their entirety. Your dealer has some real issues.

Comment

• Jariten
                                              • Jun 2000

:E

Chetk ......I can't believe your dealer removed the Amps !
                                              I can't believe it's taking so long for M&K to get you all back online...

I've been living without my setup for 5 weeks......I'm a nervous wreck....so I'm buying new AV racks...and getting ready to place an order for some M&K stands...

*shudder*

can't wait to unpack and put everything back together...

o_O

Comment

• Chetk
                                                • May 2004

Still not here. :cry: :unsure: :banghead: :wtf: :bash: :naughty: :nono: :sh: :thud:

Comment

• caleb
                                                  • Aug 2004

M&K sub

Good Morning,
                                                  I have the opportunity to buy either a 350, or 5000 sub when I go to the states later this month.
                                                  Transport back here won't be a problems as we are bringing someheavy equipment and we can bring the sub in with this.
                                                  To buy the M&K kit here costs about twice as much as in America, so my question: -

Is there that much difference between the 350 and the 5000?

Having heard the two demostrated, I could only hear the difference just before my nose started bleeding!!!

What are your thoughts?
                                                  Thanks

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Hello caleb, and welcome to the Guide!

I've never heard an M&K sub so, I can't answer your question. hopefully someone (Maybe Jariten) will chime in with a suggestion.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                      • Jun 2000

Ooookay...

difference between the 350 and the 5000?
                                                      350 is a 350W Amp and the 5000 has a 400W.

The 5000 or MP5410 for the pro series is what is usually used in DVD mastering Studios.

Drivers are the same
                                                      hummm
                                                      they'll kick you out of your room if you are not carefull...

I got a 5000 and it's just...awesome to look at...
                                                      I had a demo when I was back in Japan...and it's just...Woah
                                                      and blends in well with the S-150 series of speakers.

What will be the major usage of the Sub?
                                                      Music? movies?

What are the other speakers you are currently using?

Comment

• Chetk
                                                        • May 2004

Jariten,

I have the 5000 and it can give a pretty good kick, but I guess I haven't tried pushing it hard enough to "kick me out of the room". I didn't want to blow anything or distort it.

Should I try pushing the sub harder you think? I even thought about buying another since I didn't feel like it was enough. :E

So far, the subwoofer is the only speaker in my 5.1 M&K setup that hasn't required warranty work. :clap:

Comment

• Jariten
                                                          • Jun 2000

Hi Chetk.

a 2nd 5000 sub?

Have you actually turned the knib up there?

This sub would probably remove the windows easily here...^^;;;;;

What's the status on you Speakers?
                                                          Did M&K get them?

they playing with them?

o_O
                                                          we want to know!

Comment

• Chetk
                                                            • May 2004

No, you really don't want to know. :cry:

M&K has had the speakers for quite some time now. They will not give a status to my dealer or myself (they don't return phone calls.) I don't think that they are in to much of a hurry around there. I can understand that it takes time to produce high quality speakers, but if that's the case, hire more people to get the job done faster. I mean, I paid enough money for the things that they should be able to hire more people to get the job done quickly and accurately. But what do I know? I'm not in the speaker manufacturing business.

To make matters worse, I have been listening to the other two 150P's I still have. Now they have gone out. So, while my other three speakers are in for repair, my other two have now gone out. So, if it takes them over two months to fix the next two speakers I send them, I will have gone 4 months without a complete 5.1 system.

These speakers sound great when they work, but I will eventually have five 150P's that required warranty work.

I have sent Ken Kreisel a very long e-mail that detailed every transaction I have made with my dealer and M&K. I haven't heard back yet, but I sent it late last night and I don't expect to get a response until, at least, the next business day. I carbon copied my dealer and the M&K national sales rep as well. Hopefully something will get done.

This entire ordeal has me wondering though: Is there something I'm doing wrong? If I had power hooked up wrong, wouldn't they not get power at all? All of them have power (I can tell by the red lights), but none of them play any audio. I know it's not my receiver because I tested it's outputs with positive results. If the damage was caused by power spikes, wouldn't more devices go out other than just these speakers? And what's even weirder: These speakers don't go out when I'm listening to them. They seem to go out when we're not listening to them. One night, things will be fine. The next day, when I turn on the receiver, nothing. Nada. Zip.

I'll keep you posted on the results.

PS. The sub-woofer is great. It hasn't gone out once.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                              • Jun 2000

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

That's all I can say...
                                                              This is unbelievable...

I don't know what to say

if the amps turn on..then you should hear sound.unless they are burning the voice coils

I mean..the amp in their subs is probably a base design for the amps in their powered series of speakers...

ok..not saying anything else...

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

This is becoming stranger by the day! Not only am I shocked by the amount of time to resolve the problem with your speakers, but what the heck is going on with all of them going out in the first place. This is just bad all the way around.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                  • Jun 2000

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm still baffled by the turn of events...
                                                                  They might be redesigning Chet's speakers?

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2004

Hi guys,

I just came in from a week long trip to Stavanger (Norway), Aberdeen (Scotland) and Amsterdaam.

I got a response from Ken Reingold of M&K. He apologized for the long delay in their customer service department. Then he said,
                                                                    The good news is your New S150Ps will ship early next week to [my dealer]. It is a very long process to build and calibrate the S150Ps. They go through many different tests before they are ready to be shipped.
                                                                    I'm not sure if the word "New" means that I'm getting three entirely new manufactured speakers or if he meant it figuratively. I'm hoping they're new, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right so that this doesn't happen again.

I have replied to his e-mail stating that I'm sending him the other two and asked him if he specifically knew what was wrong with the three that I sent before.

As always, I'll keep everyone posted.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2000

YES we want to know what the problem is/was
                                                                      and if they are NEW ..all the better!

:T :B :B :B :B

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2004

I just received an e-mail from Ken Reingold again. He had some good news for me.
                                                                        I have very good news for you, I shipped 5 new S150Ps to [your dealer] yesterday. I just got off the phone with [your dealer contact] to tell him they are on the way. When you are able to bring in the other S150Ps you can take home 5 New Ones. Sorry for your inconvenience.
                                                                        I called Ken to find out what happened to the three I sent in. He said that he wasn't exactly sure what went wrong, but I asked him if it was possibly my fault since I ran my own electricity. He said that he fealt as though it was a problem with the manufacturing/engineering of the amps and that I will have 5 newly manufactured amps.

I can't wait to get the 5 new speakers. :T

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2000

Woooohoooooooooooooooooooo!!

Check your outlets !

you may have a problem with those?

That is good news though ^_^V

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                            • 247

Alright, I have some weird news and some great news. I'll start with the weird news.

As mentioned at the beginning of last week, M&K was delivering 5 new s-150P's to my dealer. While they were in the mail, I decided to remove one of the amps to see if I could troubleshoot the "no-audio" problem. Upon removing the amps, I noticed a couple of 500mA fuses were blown. I confirmed that they were also blown in the other speaker I still had. So, I went to Radio Shack and purchased one package of 4 500mA fuses. After I put two of them in one of the amps and reassembled the amp to the speaker, I plugged it all back into the receiver and to my surprise, it worked!!! :E I couldn't believe that it took me 30 min. and $2.75 worth of fuses to fix the problem. I couldn't understand why it was taking M&K over 2 months to fix the speakers I sent in. Please read further.

After speaking to Ken Reingold and also my dealer, I mentioned that I thought it might be my power. They both stated that it was a problem with M&K's manufacturing and that's why I am being sent 5 newly manufactured speakers. So, now I don't have to worry about my power. Everything should be a-okay there. :T

Now for the great news: My five new S-150Ps showed up at my dealers on Fri. and they delivered them to my house today (free of charge) during lunch. I had to come back to work, but I'm about to go back home now and mount everything and hook it all up. If all goes well, I'll be back into a 5.1 surround sound set-up. :hump:

: :sn :drool: :yesnod: opcorn: :-y ;b> :^x :yeah: :banana: :dudes: arty: :clap: :dance: :righton: :spin: :dothewave:

I'll let you know if everything works right after I get it installed.
                                                                            Last edited by Chetk; 09 September 2004, 13:11 Thursday.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2000
                                                                              • 271

#83
                                                                              h: 8O :x 8) :P ops: :cry: :wink: :evil: :roll: :B :twisted: :T :W :E :M : :lol: :Z :rofl: ;x( :greenstar: :1: :3: :5: :4: :amen: :drool: :?? :yesnod: :huh: opcorn: :?: :nonod: :later: :yellowstar: :45: :sn :05: :thanku: :eating: :rant: :duh: :agree: :blink: :| :tired: :idea: :!: :-y :-y :arrow: :g> :rx xx) ;lx :rf :F ;b> 8x) ;-x :^x :heh: :k> :yeah: :fart: :banana: :banghead: :2guns: :boozer: :hb :f> ;zx :fart2: :leghumper: :smootch: :bash: :driver: :hump: :tomato: :angel: :assimilate: :argue: :321: :urinate: :throwup: :fight: :wtf: arty: arty: arty: arty: arty: :conveyer: :driving: :coffee: :td: :frypan: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :dothewave: :jawdrop:

Woohooooooooooooooooooooo!

Why did it take them 2 months?
                                                                              Well..they were trying to understand WHY those fuses were burning out ..most likely

As a Manufacturing Engineer...it sometimes takes time to get to the root cause and then find the best solution....

=)

Hope all goes well with your new 150Ps !!!

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2000
                                                                                • 271

#84
                                                                                *grin*

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 247

#85
                                                                                  You guys won't believe this: Ken Kreisel called me today while I was at work. I got the message when I got home so I called and he was in a meeting. As soon as the meeting ended (8:10pm my time, 6:10 pm his time), he called me back. We had about a 15 minutes conversation. He apologized for all of my problems and we talked about the recent problems I've been having with the 150Ps.

I've read a lot about Ken and it was nice to finally get to talk to him. I told him that the 150Ps sound great when they are all working and that I appreciated him taking the time to call me.

Top notch service. :T

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2000
                                                                                    • 271

#86
                                                                                    Excellent!

Ken is the Man!

I've had exellent contacts with the people in Japan when I was back there.
                                                                                    (they only have the Professional line over there)
                                                                                    Denon used to sell the normal line...That's where I auditioned a system composed of S-150s and a MX5000THX MKII

they had an AVC-A1 and a Denon DVD-5000 hooked up..
                                                                                    they were using a Barco projector.

I didn't want to leave the demo room...
                                                                                    it was just my wife and I...
                                                                                    *GRIN*

That's where it all started...
                                                                                    bought the 3 fronts....
                                                                                    Had the B&W DS-6 as surrounds...
                                                                                    and I HAD to buy the Denon DVD player

now it's M&K all around
                                                                                    Speakers and stands
                                                                                    you can't beat them for HT.

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2000
                                                                                      • 271

#87
                                                                                      They are trying to take it over!!

Boom goes the sub!

o_O

and rattles the whole place down....
                                                                                      *GRIN*

ChetK must be back in heaven

*grinz*

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2004
                                                                                        • 247

#88
                                                                                        I am. Plus, I've been watching The Passion of the Christ (I'm a Christian) so I'll be going there too. :B

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2000
                                                                                          • 271

#89
                                                                                          I just watched Ghost in the Shell 2

amazing...just amazing..

:B

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 2703

#90
                                                                                            Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't been posting. My pc is on the fritz.

Chetk, Glad to hear M&K sent you new speakers. I think it was the least they could do after all you've been through. Hope these work out for you.

As soon as I get my pc straight, I'll be back posting. Hopefully that won't be too long down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"