X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uncle_dito
    • Dec 2006

Hi Yas, Alebonau
    I have no certain idea of the real cause of the noise, probably induction from so many transformers, as Alebonau is suggesting. Regarding cabling, for the moment I am not a believer in the return for $ in cable investment. So I settled for reasonably priced cables: Van der hul The Bay C5 for interconnects, and Ixos XHS553 (644 SPC 4mm2 High Purity Silver Speaker Cable).

Regarding evaluation of my system, I am quite satisfied. I would probably agree with those nice evaluations from the experts (separation, detail, staging, etc). The bass is excellent and totally under control, but I miss a bit more strength, for example, when the violoncello strings is doing a solo, I want to feel more the vibration of the strings. Also in general terms I think the sound would have more body with a greater bass (probably I need a speaker with more volumen, larger).

I can really enjoy and appreciate all the A5 possibilities at a volumen starting at 9 to 10 Oclock, but I need to be careful with annoying family and neighbours. At lower volumen, If recording is good, I can still appreciate detail and separation, but obviously is not the same experience. I wonder if Valve amplifiers would at lower volume provide a more satisfying listening experience.

Alebonau, thanks for the preout tip from the Power Amp. I will study this possibility now as well. I also need to find a multichannel receiver with front preout (now I have Sony STRDB2000, very nice with Sony Pascal egg type speakers) , and connect it to my MF system. I wonder if in that case, the sub signal from the multichannel receiver would be properly understood if I connected the sub to the preout in the MF A5 power amplifier. Thanks for your comments.
    Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
    HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by uncle_dito
      Hi Yas, Alebonau
      I have no certain idea of the real cause of the noise, probably induction from so many transformers, as Alebonau is suggesting. Regarding cabling, for the moment I am not a believer in the return for $ in cable investment. So I settled for reasonably priced cables: Van der hul The Bay C5 for interconnects, and Ixos XHS553 (644 SPC 4mm2 High Purity Silver Speaker Cable).

Regarding evaluation of my system, I am quite satisfied. I would probably agree with those nice evaluations from the experts (separation, detail, staging, etc). The bass is excellent and totally under control, but I miss a bit more strength, for example, when the violoncello strings is doing a solo, I want to feel more the vibration of the strings. Also in general terms I think the sound would have more body with a greater bass (probably I need a speaker with more volumen, larger).

I can really enjoy and appreciate all the A5 possibilities at a volumen starting at 9 to 10 Oclock, but I need to be careful with annoying family and neighbours. At lower volumen, If recording is good, I can still appreciate detail and separation, but obviously is not the same experience. I wonder if Valve amplifiers would at lower volume provide a more satisfying listening experience.

Alebonau, thanks for the preout tip from the Power Amp. I will study this possibility now as well. I also need to find a multichannel receiver with front preout (now I have Sony STRDB2000, very nice with Sony Pascal egg type speakers) , and connect it to my MF system. I wonder if in that case, the sub signal from the multichannel receiver would be properly understood if I connected the sub to the preout in the MF A5 power amplifier. Thanks for your comments.
      yeah I'm jsut using vdh cd122hybrid for speaker and cd102III as interconnect. nto sure using anythign more exotic is goign to provide much in return.

my general listeing is probably 8 o'clock position to about 10 o'oclock on the vol knob now and then wander towards the 11 o'clock position. on vinyl with lower output level been over upto 12 o'clock.

re vol levels & valves might give a different presentation, the vocal charecter and bloom will be dependant on the particualr amp and implementation. some will add some colouration if thats what yoru looking for. you'd need to spend a lot on a valve power amp to get the sheer slam and clout you get with these solid state power amps.

Certainly with my system theres much to enjoy from low levels 60db upwards. A lot does in my opinion depend on your speakers and setup/room.

I'm using my hkavr630 indeed in that configuration to take the pre-outs from my power to feed the velo DD15 that I have hooked up to the avr via the .1 output. If dont have a combined 2ch ht system even easier you just hook the subs inputs upto the pwr amps pre-outs.
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• uncle_dito
        • Dec 2006

Hi Alebonau, sorry I got lost on how your are hooking up your combined HT with 2Ch. and the SUB. Could you please run that again a little slower for me. Are you connecting the Preouts from A5 Power amplifier to the HKAVR630 inputs (which input?), and then using the HK .1 output into the DD15?
        I wonder how I could recreate this with a regular integrated multichannel AVR (with Preout) and not a dedicated processor.
        Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
        HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Hi Alebonau, sorry I got lost on how your are hooking up your combined HT with 2Ch. and the SUB. Could you please run that again a little slower for me. Are you connecting the Preouts from A5 Power amplifier to the HKAVR630 inputs (which input?), and then using the HK .1 output into the DD15?
          I wonder how I could recreate this with a regular integrated multichannel AVR (with Preout) and not a dedicated processor.
          hi uncle,

just runing pre-out from mf a5 pwr to cd input of my harman kardon avr 630(which I use just as a processor). have the cd input on the avr setup for just stereo + sub. The sub velodyne dd15 is yes hooked up via .1 pre-out on the avr. The avr must have a pre-out or sub output to connect up to a sub.

I just use the vol knob on the avr to blend in the sub (which being the dd15 does xover and eq within itself).

so signal path is ...when playing cd, input from source(a5 cd in mycase) goes to the a5 pre which sends line level signal to a5 pwr which via pre-outs on it sends line level signal to avr 'cd input' that feeds signal to sub with vol of the sub set by vol knob of the avr.

if need further clarification feel free to ask.

Comment

• Robbo1
            • Dec 2006

Currently have A308 CD, A3CR Pre/Power and PMC 0B1 speakers with Nordost Red Dawn cables. Bought the PMC's as I heard them with a TriVista amp and was taken by them. However, they don't seem to work as well with the A3's. Want to upgrade and have thought about buying Bryston amp as PMC recommends them or the cheaper option of upgrading A3 power to an A5 power.

Any opinions as one dealer recommended it but another thought MF and PMC's wern't a good match. Unfortunately no dealer close by with right equipment to demo.

Comment

• alebonau
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

uncle I probably should also add, my mains start rolling off naturally at around 60hz, so have the xover on the DD15 setup so it comes in at 60 hz essentially fillign out the response of my mains. I use the eq in the DD15 to give a reasonably flat response down to 15hz

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Robbo1
                Currently have A308 CD, A3CR Pre/Power and PMC 0B1 speakers with Nordost Red Dawn cables. Bought the PMC's as I heard them with a TriVista amp and was taken by them. However, they don't seem to work as well with the A3's. Want to upgrade and have thought about buying Bryston amp as PMC recommends them or the cheaper option of upgrading A3 power to an A5 power.

Any opinions as one dealer recommended it but another thought MF and PMC's wern't a good match. Unfortunately no dealer close by with right equipment to demo.
                robbo I actually demoed the pmc ob1 with the a5 pre-pwr at my local dealer who sells both brands. they are a sensational match I think and the OB1 is a very good speaker indeed. Do demo with the a5 pre-pwr combination I think you'll be quite impressed. alternatively yeah if you can borrow an a5 pwr amp off a dealer to check out will be well worth it I reckon.

Comment

• uncle_dito
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
                  hi uncle,

just runing pre-out from mf a5 pwr to cd input of my harman kardon avr 630(which I use just as a processor). have the cd input on the avr setup for just stereo + sub. The sub velodyne dd15 is yes hooked up via .1 pre-out on the avr. The avr must have a pre-out or sub output to connect up to a sub.

I just use the vol knob on the avr to blend in the sub (which being the dd15 does xover and eq within itself).

so signal path is ...when playing cd, input from source(a5 cd in mycase) goes to the a5 pre which sends line level signal to a5 pwr which via pre-outs on it sends line level signal to avr 'cd input' that feeds signal to sub with vol of the sub set by vol knob of the avr.

Hi Alebonau, Understood your workflow for Hifi listening, many thanks.
                  For HT, what are you doing? For example, What is the path for DVD playback? do you use MF?

Comment

• alebonau
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Hi Alebonau, Understood your workflow for Hifi listening, many thanks.
                    For HT, what are you doing? For example, What is the path for DVD playback? do you use MF?
                    certainly and it adds very well to the mix.

for dvd, DVD (denon 2900) coax output to hk avr630(used as processor).
                    multichanel pre-outs on avr : C, SL&SR, SBL&SBR to multichannel power amp(elektra theatre7) , .1 output to velodyne DD15, L&R output to ht direct input on A5 pre.
                    A5pre pre-outputs to a5 pwr input A.

Comment

• uncle_dito
                      • Dec 2006

multichanel pre-outs on avr : C, SL&SR, SBL&SBR to multichannel power amp(elektra theatre7) , .1 output to velodyne DD15, L&R output to ht direct input on A5 pre.
                      Many thanks Alebonau. Very helpful.

Comment

• Robbo1
                        • Dec 2006

robbo I actually demoed the pmc ob1 with the a5 pre-pwr at my local dealer who sells both brands. they are a sensational match I think and the OB1 is a very good speaker indeed. Do demo with the a5 pre-pwr combination I think you'll be quite impressed. alternatively yeah if you can borrow an a5 pwr amp off a dealer to check out will be well worth it I reckon.

That's good to hear, there is a retailer in Scotland that does a one month trial with their stock. I'll order an A5 p/amp after Christmas and see if the extra power helps, although I've never quite undertsood how much difference the pre-amp makes to the overall sound.

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Robbo1
                          That's good to hear, there is a retailer in Scotland that does a one month trial with their stock. I'll order an A5 p/amp after Christmas and see if the extra power helps, although I've never quite undertsood how much difference the pre-amp makes to the overall sound.
                          thats probably the best thing to do. thats a very good arrangement your dealer has, that way will get to spend some quality time with it.

I did a fair bit of demoing on pre-amps before getting mine. I found charecter differences between brands. if you stick within the brand the charecter differences are a lot less but you can get improvements/differences in detail and imaging etc between the models.

I also believe there is a bit to be said re pre-pwr matching can influence the outcome. the a3 pre amp is not to be sniffed at, but wondering if the dealer would lend you the a5 pre amp as well ? that way you'd soon know whether to bother with the a5 pre or not.

Comment

• Cambs12
                            • Jul 2006

Pmc/a3

Hi Robbo,

i heard the A5 pre/power with the PMCs and also B&W 703s,when i was looking for a new amp,and thought the B&Ws were a better match,altho slightly bright initially as they were not fully run in.

I nearly bought the A5 pre/power,until i found a secondhand Trivista integrated,which i bought.I use this with an A5 cd player,Vandenhul interconnects and Chord biwire cable,into a pair of B&W CDM9NTs(which i much prefer to the new 703s).
                            I would have been very happy with the A5 combo,they are ideally suited,but the Trivista has been worth the extra,with massive headroom,depth and also subtlety when required.
                            My B&Ws take a bit of driving to give off their best,so the A5 or Trivista is a worthwhile addition,i'm not sure about the PMCs,but if you liked them powered by the Trivista,then i think you are now missing this power,and either this or the A5 would be a great purchase.

Best Regards.

Comment

• Robbo1
                              • Dec 2006

Hi Cambs,

You mirror what one dealer told me, which is that in trials customers have preferred B and W with Musical Fidelity, rather than PMC. However, having heard them with the TriVista, i'll see whether the A5 helps as they don't seem the same with the A3.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                • Jul 2006

Hi Robbo,

The A5 is an excellent power amp,and would certainly give you all the power and drive no matter what speakers you drive from it.Alebonau has a good point in listening to the A5 pre at the same time,they go very well together.
                                Musical Fidelity e-mailed customers the other day advising they have some A5 pre amps for sale,ex demo,at 999 ukp, if this is of any interest.

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                  • Dec 2006

hi uncle,

Hi Alebonau,
                                  I have copied below another thread from the B&W forum where I am requesting some advice on Subs, in particular one based on REL sub.
                                  I wonder if this configuration would work.
                                  Also I wonder if in your configuration with LFE connection "only", it would provide the required frecuencies to enhance 2Ch listening when you listen to the A5 CD. Also it requires setting up both MF and AVR for CD listening, etc. I would prefer if possible a SUB that would allow simultaneous connection of LFE (from HT) and Preout/speakers (from my MF). What do you think?

Hello everybody, I have 804S with MF A5 CR Power/pre/CD for about 9 months. Lovely and excellent sound. But I miss a weightier bass. Has anybody biamped 804S and would be kind to report back improvements heard? In that case, I would consider purchasing another MF A5 Power (about 1800€). Another option would be to try to trade

Merry Christmas

Comment

• alebonau
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Oct 2005

Hi Alebonau,
                                    I have copied below another thread from the B&W forum where I am requesting some advice on Subs, in particular one based on REL sub.
                                    I wonder if this configuration would work.
                                    Also I wonder if in your configuration with LFE connection "only", it would provide the required frecuencies to enhance 2Ch listening when you listen to the A5 CD. Also it requires setting up both MF and AVR for CD listening, etc. I would prefer if possible a SUB that would allow simultaneous connection of LFE (from HT) and Preout/speakers (from my MF). What do you think?

Hello everybody, I have 804S with MF A5 CR Power/pre/CD for about 9 months. Lovely and excellent sound. But I miss a weightier bass. Has anybody biamped 804S and would be kind to report back improvements heard? In that case, I would consider purchasing another MF A5 Power (about 1800€). Another option would be to try to trade

Merry Christmas
                                    had a read uncle to your other post. the REL subs is the only brands I know that allow 2ch and HT inputs at the same time. I demeod the REL stadium 3 that had that feature.

the way they work is the sub has completely different 2ch and ht sides and inputs. for 2ch they actually operate of speaker level. so along with your speakers that are hooked up via the speaker terminals of your power amp you also hook up speaker cables to your REL. The rel sub shows a very high input impedance to the 2ch power amp its hooked upto and so only takes a small signal. your mains work as normal. They basically are set to fill out the bottom end and extend the response of your mains. For HT a LFE output is run from your AVR to the REL sub and it operates as any normal sub would.

Best for you is to demo the REL at a rel dealer to get an appreciation of its performance and how its setup. Proper rel dealers in the us & uk I understand will only sell on the basis that they come setup, install and integrate with your mains which is critical to getting the best out of it.

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Hi Alebonau,
                                      ~

Merry Christmas
                                      in my configuration, basically full range 2ch signal is being sent from my power amp via its pre-outs to the avr which sends signal via its LFE ouput to sub. and yes certainly it does provide the required frequencies to the sub to reproduce that mains cannot. hence enhancing the 2ch listening.

For HT the velodyne DD operates as a conventional sub with LFE output supplied off the avr.

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                        • Dec 2006

had a read uncle to your other post. the REL subs is the only brands I know that allow 2ch and HT inputs at the same time. I demeod the REL stadium 3 that had that feature.

the way they work is the sub has completely different 2ch and ht sides and inputs. for 2ch they actually operate of speaker level. so along with your speakers that are hooked up via the speaker terminals of your power amp you also hook up speaker cables to your REL. The rel sub shows a very high input impedance to the 2ch power amp its hooked upto and so only takes a small signal. your mains work as normal. They basically are set to fill out the bottom end and extend the response of your mains. For HT a LFE output is run from your AVR to the REL sub and it operates as any normal sub would.

Best for you is to demo the REL at a rel dealer to get an appreciation of its performance and how its setup. Proper rel dealers in the us & uk I understand will only sell on the basis that they come setup, install and integrate with your mains which is critical to getting the best out of it.
                                        Thanks Alebonau for your advice and have a merry christmas :T

Comment

• C.H.
                                          • Dec 2006

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all,

I've discovered this thread by accident, and am please to see there are many others like myself like the MF products. My 2 channels system are Marantz SA11-S1, MF A308cr pre & pwr and JM Lab 927be speakers.

Comment

• citroen
                                            • Dec 2006

today i've bought an musical fidelitly x-t 100 it already sounds good with my epos 12.2 speakers they are also new, and must play i think 48hours, is there someone with the same systeem or any suggestions?????

Comment

• buddyholly
                                              • Jan 2007

Hello. Couple of months ago I've bought Musical Fidelity A5 Power/Pre/Cd. I have Dynaudio S5.4 speakers connected with Chord Signature. Cd/Pre interconnect is Chord Anthem. What I'm looking for is the right interconnect between Power and Pre. I'd like to ask if anyone knows would I prosper if I get Nordost Red Dawn or would I be better off with Anthem again...? I don't have a chance to try this combination in my system. Thank you.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                • Jun 2006

Hello Buddy Holly,

As you are already using a Chord Anthem interconnects between your MF A5 CD to Pre, I would definitely stick with Chord Anthem for when connecting the Pre to Pwr amp so your system will produce a more balanced sound.

Like you I also own the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers and fantastic amps they certainly are but they do need to be connected with expensive interconnects and spk cables to get the best out of them. I used to use VDH D102 MK111 but found the amps far too smooth so I changed my interconnects to the Nordost Red Dawn and that tightened up the midrange and made the sound much faster. These are used between my Arcam CD72T - MF A5 Pre and MF A5 Pwr amp.
                                                I hope this will help
                                                All The Best
                                                Yas

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                  • Jun 2006

MF A5 Pre and A5 Pwr Amp Owner

Hi Everybody.

Here's one for all MF owners. I own the fantastic MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amps which are used with a Arcam CD72T cd player, I know my system is unbalanced anyway these are used with Kef Ref 1:2 floorstanding spks and a Michell Gyrodec/ QC Pwr supply. The problem is not with my record deck but my CD player. I don't think it is good enough for my MF amplifiers and I need an upgrade. Can somebody advise me on a few CD players that have fantastic detail and speed and are suitable for R'n'B music eg Usher, R Kelly etc.?

What do other MF owners think, that would best suit my MF amps. As an example something which has that Arcam sound, but with far greater detail, speed and power?
                                                  The interconnects and speaker cables that I am using is Nordost Red Dawns and VDH Cleartrack Biwire Spk cables.

I look forward to your own opinions and advice.

Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                    • Jul 2006

Hi Yas,

I recently upgraded my cd player after my Linn Karik 3 packed up,and did quite a bit of auditioning.
                                                    I eventually bought an A5,and have been delighted with it,with my Trivista 300 integrated and B&W CDM9NTs..
                                                    I see you like R n' B,and can confirm this player sounds fabulous with Mry J Blige,John Legend etc...
                                                    I also listened to the New Linn,The two Meridian machines at normal prices(soundstage very much fixed to a point,not to my taste,but may be worth a listen).

The Naim cd5x and CDX2 may be worth a listen,very musical,but i don't think they have the depth of the A5,and is not as good with classical(in my view).

I would try back-to-back between A5 and the Naim players.

Regards,

Stuart.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                      • Jun 2006

Hi Stuart

Thanks for replying.
                                                      Do you think that the MF A5 CD player is smooth and refined? if it is then this not what I am looking for. As you know R'n'B on the whole is smooth sounding so I am on the hunt for a CD player with detail and excitement that is capable of extracting the minute details from the recordings. Maybe something like the Arcam sound which I already have, but far greater.

Thanks
                                                      Yas
                                                      Last edited by Yasvanth; 04 January 2007, 16:02 Thursday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                        • Jul 2006

A5

Hi yas,

I guess that i would indeed describe the A5 as refined,so possibly this is not what you are looking for.I think the Naim players are definitely worth a listen,the cdx2 and cd5x.They are very musical with great timing,i really enjoyed listening to them,but thought the A5 had better synergy with my Trivista,and overall the Naims are not as all-round machines as the Musical Fidelity.But i reckon they could be just what you are looking for.The Meridians are also interesting,but not as much fun,although they are very good with detail.
                                                        How bout a curve-ball in the shape of the new linn Majic,great timing also,and fabulous on detail,as long as the slightly dry bass is to your taste.
                                                        One question tho,are your Kefs up to the job(i only ask this as i haven't heard them,and not familiar with the kef sound)? Might be worth listening to Proacs or Spendors at the same time as cd players.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
                                                          Hi yas,

I guess that i would indeed describe the A5 as refined,so possibly this is not what you are looking for.I think the Naim players are definitely worth a listen,the cdx2 and cd5x.They are very musical with great timing,i really enjoyed listening to them,but thought the A5 had better synergy with my Trivista,and overall the Naims are not as all-round machines as the Musical Fidelity.But i reckon they could be just what you are looking for.The Meridians are also interesting,but not as much fun,although they are very good with detail.
                                                          How bout a curve-ball in the shape of the new linn Majic,great timing also,and fabulous on detail,as long as the slightly dry bass is to your taste.
                                                          One question tho,are your Kefs up to the job(i only ask this as i haven't heard them,and not familiar with the kef sound)? Might be worth listening to Proacs or Spendors at the same time as cd players.
                                                          the naim would be a good one to check out yas. especially the 5x. might be jsut what yoru after. but if liek the arcam sound why not check out the fmj cd36 cd player. top notch machine well in the calibre to using with your pre-pwr.

Comment

• classic77
                                                            • Jan 2007

Hi all this is my first post. I'm not sure if Im doing the right thing but it seems everyone is just adding replies to the one post here? I have an XDAC V3 and XPSU V3 going into a A3.5 amp. I'm considering throwing the X10 V3 line buffer into the mix. Damn MF, you buy one of these little suckers and you just want them all! I'd like to here from anyone about the positives/negatives of the line buffer. I'd certainly like it if it made the overall sound a bit faster (PRAT). Thanks.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by classic77
                                                              Hi all this is my first post. I'm not sure if Im doing the right thing but it seems everyone is just adding replies to the one post here? I have an XDAC V3 and XPSU V3 going into a A3.5 amp. I'm considering throwing the X10 V3 line buffer into the mix. Damn MF, you buy one of these little suckers and you just want them all! I'd like to here from anyone about the positives/negatives of the line buffer. I'd certainly like it if it made the overall sound a bit faster (PRAT). Thanks.
                                                              I'd certainly consider adding it classic. I almost think the mf trio were made to work together. I've home demoed the dac itself, and with the x10v3 valve output stage and PSU. Best to demo youself though, try borrow the unit from a dealer and check the effect in your system. Apart from adding some valve majic to the sound. The valve stage also acts as impedance matching but the benfit provided is totally dependant on the equipment your hooking up between.

Comment

• classic77
                                                                • Jan 2007

I'd certainly consider adding it classic. I almost think the mf trio were made to work together. I've home demoed the dac itself, and with the x10v3 valve output stage and PSU. Best to demo youself though, try borrow the unit from a dealer and check the effect in your system. Apart from adding some valve majic to the sound. The valve stage also acts as impedance matching but the benfit provided is totally dependant on the equipment your hooking up between.
                                                                Thanks for the reply, noticed you're an aussie, me too. I've put one on order from Len Wallis. Got it for 549 plus 10 shipping. It has an RRP of 699 so a good price. They even have a 2 week money back return policy if it doesn't work as advertised so it's all good. Think I'll tell the other half that she's losing it when she notices. "There has always been three little silver boxes honey, not two" One of the ways it's suppose to improve the sound that I find intersting is that it presents a very low load to the DAC or CD player so it can perform at it best. I might post my impressions of the X10 V3 here later.

Cheers.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Oct 2005

Thanks for the reply, noticed you're an aussie, me too. I've put one on order from Len Wallis. Got it for 549 plus 10 shipping. It has an RRP of 699 so a good price. They even have a 2 week money back return policy if it doesn't work as advertised so it's all good. Think I'll tell the other half that she's losing it when she notices. "There has always been three little silver boxes honey, not two" One of the ways it's suppose to improve the sound that I find intersting is that it presents a very low load to the DAC or CD player so it can perform at it best. I might post my impressions of the X10 V3 here later.

Cheers.
                                                                  excellent another aussie I didnt realise !

thats a pretty good price and arrangement len wallis has with the money back guarantee, that way if doesnt do what your lookign for, no probs and you shouldnt be out of pocket. Yes do post your impressions once you get it and had it running for a while.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2006

Hi Stuart

I think my Kef Ref 1:2 are more than up to the job, but I do think that it is either my CD player that is not good enough or or my speaker cable that I am using.

Have you got any ideas on what make of speaker cable is best suitable for the MF A5 amplifiers.

Before I bought the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amps I did have a Arcam A85 and P85 amps and they were fine with this cable.

I am thinking of hunting around on Ebay for a second hand Arcam FMJ CD36 when I have saved up a bit more money.

All The Best
                                                                    Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2006

Hi Yas,

That's good news about the speakers.I use Chord company Bi-wire(cant remember the model name,but about 10 UK pounds a metre.I wanted to go more exotic,but i have long cable runs under carpet(about 10 metres a side,to go round fire place round the sides of the room etc as i have a concrete floor and can't go direct under this).

When i first put it in(to my shame without auditioning,only reading reviews!!)
                                                                      I was mortified,i thought it was bright,unrefined etc.But now it is properly run in,it sounds very good.I hadn't realised before this that even running in cables properly is important.

I would recommend this,was an improvement from the Linn K20 i was using before,though i would be interested in some of the Nordost cables.Having just bought the Trivista and A5,my wife would have divorced me if i had then spent a grand on speaker cable,i only just got away with 250 quid!!(and the look i got when i showed her a picture of B&W 802ds..)! The Arcam player you mention is very good,but definitely compare it to the Naim players.I heard them through a pair of Totem floorstanders,in a medium to small room,and while they were not as good an all rounder as the A5,i played some rock and dance,and was thoroughly entertained,they certainly hold a rhythm...I would be interested to hear what they sound like thru Musical Fidelity amps.

Best regards.
                                                                      Stuart.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2006

Mf A5cr Pre And A5cr Pwr Amps

Originally posted by Cambs12
                                                                        Hi Yas,

That's good news about the speakers.I use Chord company Bi-wire(cant remember the model name,but about 10 UK pounds a metre.I wanted to go more exotic,but i have long cable runs under carpet(about 10 metres a side,to go round fire place round the sides of the room etc as i have a concrete floor and can't go direct under this).

When i first put it in(to my shame without auditioning,only reading reviews!!)
                                                                        I was mortified,i thought it was bright,unrefined etc.But now it is properly run in,it sounds very good.I hadn't realised before this that even running in cables properly is important.

I would recommend this,was an improvement from the Linn K20 i was using before,though i would be interested in some of the Nordost cables.Having just bought the Trivista and A5,my wife would have divorced me if i had then spent a grand on speaker cable,i only just got away with 250 quid!!(and the look i got when i showed her a picture of B&W 802ds..)! The Arcam player you mention is very good,but definitely compare it to the Naim players.I heard them through a pair of Totem floorstanders,in a medium to small room,and while they were not as good an all rounder as the A5,i played some rock and dance,and was thoroughly entertained,they certainly hold a rhythm...I would be interested to hear what they sound like thru Musical Fidelity amps.

Best regards.
                                                                        Stuart.

Hi HT Members,

Has anyone else got the chance to demo or even own the wonderful MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers?

Are they capable of playing R'n'B music eg Alicia Keys, Usher, R Kelly etc?

Or is the Arcam amplifiers more suitable for this style of music?

The reason I am asking this question is that I am using the MF amps with a Arcam CD72T player which is a midrange player, Kef Ref 1:2 spks, Nordost Red Dawn Interconnects and VDH Cleartrack Bi amped spk cables, because whenever I play R'n'B music it does sound a bit boomy in the midrange. I never had this problem with my Arcam A85 and P85's. So I am wondering whether my CD player is not good enough or it's my speaker cable and should I change to Nordost Blue Heaven Biamped spk cables.

Thanks

Yas
                                                                        Last edited by Yasvanth; 10 January 2007, 09:11 Wednesday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2006

Mf A5cr Pre And A5cr Pwr Amplifiers

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                                                                          Hi HT Members,

Has anyone else got the chance to demo or even own the wonderful MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers?

Are they capable of playing R'n'B music eg Alicia Keys, Usher, R Kelly etc?

Or is the Arcam amplifiers more suitable for this style of music?

The reason I am asking this question is that I am using the MF amps with a Arcam CD72T player which is a midrange player, Kef Ref 1:2 spks, Nordost Red Dawn Interconnects and VDH Cleartrack Bi amped spk cables, because whenever I play R'n'B music it does sound a bit boomy in the midrange. I never had this problem with my Arcam A85 and P85's. So I am wondering whether my CD player is not good enough or it's my speaker cable and should I change to Nordost Blue Heaven Biamped spk cables.

Thanks

Yas
                                                                          Hi

Anybody else around the globe heard the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amps?
                                                                          Are they capable of playing R'n'B music, or are they too smooth and refined?
                                                                          What speaker cables and interconnects best suits the MF amp character?

Thanks
                                                                          Yas
                                                                          Last edited by Yasvanth; 12 January 2007, 19:17 Friday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• buddyholly
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                                                                            Hello Buddy Holly,

As you are already using a Chord Anthem interconnects between your MF A5 CD to Pre, I would definitely stick with Chord Anthem for when connecting the Pre to Pwr amp so your system will produce a more balanced sound.

Like you I also own the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers and fantastic amps they certainly are but they do need to be connected with expensive interconnects and spk cables to get the best out of them. I used to use VDH D102 MK111 but found the amps far too smooth so I changed my interconnects to the Nordost Red Dawn and that tightened up the midrange and made the sound much faster. These are used between my Arcam CD72T - MF A5 Pre and MF A5 Pwr amp.
                                                                            I hope this will help
                                                                            All The Best
                                                                            Yas
                                                                            Thank you for your answer. I still didn't get my cable but I did order Anthem from hificables... It's considerably cheaper then it'd be from carlton audio melbourne...

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2006
                                                                              • 403

MF A5cr PRE & A5cr PWR AMPLIFIERS

Hi Buddy,

After owning the MF A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amps for a few months, what is your own opinion on its sound quality?

Do you also listen to much R'n'B music eg Alicia Keys, Boys 11 Men, Usher etc and what do the amps sound like when playing this style of music?

Thanks
                                                                              Yas
                                                                              Last edited by Yasvanth; 14 January 2007, 05:39 Sunday.

Comment

• Angioguy
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2005
                                                                                • 100

MF Service

Anybody have any experience with MF's US Service Dept-- the folks at Signal Path in South Carolina? What's the average turnaround time to have a piece of equipment serviced? I sent a piece of equipment out to them about 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard a peep... should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance...
                                                                                B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2006
                                                                                  • 403

Hi Robbo1,

Did you manage to order a MF A5cr Pwr amp, and if you have what do you think of it's sound quality?

Yas

Comment

• Vince Helm
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2006
                                                                                    • 134

I'd certainly like it if it made the overall sound a bit faster (PRAT). Thanks.
                                                                                    I bought the X-10v3 and PSU to go with my A-23dac... Sounded great. Then I replaced the A-23 with the X-DACv3. More detail. The PSU is a must. I know this is a bit subjective but when I replaced my stock 3 pin umbilical power cable with cables from Revelation Audio... wow, that is when things really sounded great!!! If you do this, try replacing the power cable to the X-10v3 first as it made the biggest difference. good luck
                                                                                    Vince

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2006
                                                                                      • 403

Hi

Does anybody know whether there is an Arcam club in the HT Guide ?

Anybody else demoed the fantastic Musical Fidelity A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amps?

Come on guys there must be someone out there !

Yas
                                                                                      Last edited by Yasvanth; 18 January 2007, 05:20 Thursday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Oct 2005
                                                                                        • 992

yas you could always create your own thread called 'Club arcam' in this manufacturer threads subforum.

if you havent been there already avtalk is worth a visit too re arcam or mf for that matter.

This website is for sale! avtalk.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, avtalk.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2006
                                                                                          • 403

MF A5 Pre and Pwr Amps Problems

Hi

I'm wondering whether I should sell my fantastic MF A5cr Pre and A5cr Pwr amplifiers as i just think they are too smooth with R'n'B music. They are used with a Arcam CD72T, Michell Gyrodec/QC PWR Supply, Kef Ref 1:2 Floorstanding Spks. Cables are Nordost Red Dawn interconnects and VDH Cleartrack Biamped Spk cables.

If anyone out there can tell me what's wrong with my system and advise me why it is sounding smooth with this particular style of music, I may have second thoughts and even keep them?

Your advice will be very grateful, as I do not really want to sell them, but we'll see.

Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2006
                                                                                            • 191

Hi Yas,

i think you have a few options,the first would be to try a different cd player,i.e. the Naim cd5x,they major on rhythm,are great fun,and for the types of music you mention,are probably a more exciting listen than the M/F combo.
                                                                                            Next would be to introduce Naim pre/power,or something similar.
                                                                                            Having said this,i listen to a lot of Mary J Blige,John Legend etc,and have found this sounds great through my A5 cd,trivista integrated.My speakers are B&W CDM9NTs,and i think that moving to this type of speaker,along with a Naim cd player,or M/F A5,along with your current amps,would liven things up a huge amount,and may be a cheaper option than starting from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"