X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

Club Martin Logan

Hey All!

Welcome to the thread where we discuss some of the better (if not one of the best) speakers around!

Just wanted to get something little started, a Club Martin Logan! All owners and aspiring, soon-to-be owners and auditioners should post here!

Let's get some discussions, questions, and system postings going!

Joey :T
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

My name is Andy and I like Martin Logans.

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

My name is Jerry and I love my ML Summits which I now use in a dedicated 2 channel setup. My theater room has ML Mosaics and Theater i center.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Joey_V
        • Jul 2005

My name is Joey and I love my ML Summits.
        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

I have a Dynamo. It sounds Dyno-mite!

Comment

• Joey_V
            • Jul 2005

My little brother wants a Dynamo... that's a good sub!

Audiophiliac.... what do you really have in your own system? Dont you have access to Wilsons and what not?

Comment

• Audiophiliac
              • Apr 2006

Seriously....all I have is the B&W M1s and the Dynamo connected to a cruddy Sherwood receiver. I play my PC through this. I used to have a decent 5.0 setup with a Denon AVR3802, 2 pair Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 and Studio Center Channel. But I sold it all. I am renting a house now with 4 other dudes, and dont have the room, or the time to put a system together other than in my head. But yes, I have access to basically anything I could ever want. Too many choices actually....

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Martin Logan Descent here :T
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

I've got SL3s and a Logos and had Aerius i at one time too...
                  Danish

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Aeon i

Sounds Like a Martin Logan anonymous meeting.

My name is Greg and I'm a Loganholic
                    Greg

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by GregLett
                      Sounds Like a Martin Logan anonymous meeting.

My name is Greg and I'm a Loganholic
                      Everybody: HI GREG!!

Comment

• Fraise
                        • Dec 2004

i would love a pair of summits. until i can afford them i'm stuck with my ascents and scripts

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Here's a post that I posted last night at the Martin Logan Owner's club:

Last year, I happened to be in Seattle for the CLX debut, and was blown away. Honestly can say that they're the best speakers I've ever heard. I listened again at CEDIA. The first night, I had called my wife from Seattle, and she couldn't stop laughing when I told her the speakers I wanted cost $25k. Understandable. She got to hear them at CEDIA later, which was good.

So the other day, she says to me, "I think you should go ahead and buy the Martin Logans". Whoa... took me a bit to figure out she's serious. I'm seriously debating whether to take the plunge, and have some big issues I'm hung on. Perhaps me mulling them over here on the forum would help. Background, current setup is dedicated enclosed theater/listening room, roughly 21' x 22' x 8.5'. 7.1 configuration with M&K S-150's, dual SVS PC-Ultra subs, all Parasound Halo amps. Front projection, 102" screen. If bought, new ML's would be mains, also used in home theater. Issues:

- Biggest is cost. Price still $20k? Any anniversary editions left for $25k? Either way, that's a huge purchase. (1st choice would be black aluminum, 2nd choice dark cherry) I wonder if any dealers are making deals out there with the economy being depressed.

- I live in Alaska. Only ML dealer is Magnolia in the Anchorage Best Buy, but they're not officially authorized for the CLX. Could buy from anywhere else and ship--next closest is Magnolias in Seattle/Bellevue, but I'm guessing shipping is mega $$$.

- Being that they would also be used for home theater, I'm still concerned about panel reflective glare from the projector when watching a movie in the dark. Not 100% sure of the info I've gathered on this from here.

- Not positive, but I think my room size would suit the CLX's pretty well. I'm a bit concerned about having to pull them out 5' into the room from the front wall to sound good. Might not work with the room layout, placing them aesthetically a lot closer to the front seating row.

Ehhh... I just don't know. A toughie. I'm on a deployment to the Middle East, so I've got some time to think about it.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

oh yeah...

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                              • Aug 2000

Ok, how'd I miss this thread? I've had a (second-hand) pair of SL3s for 3 years now. Love the sound. Wish I had more time to listen to them.

Here's an old picture. I need to take some new ones, though things look more or less the same now:

And a little fun I had with Paint Shop Pro a few years back:

Comment

• dyazdani
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

Chris, that's awesome that you could end up with those!

I don't notice any glare issues with mine, though they don'e have the surface area of the CLX.

I'd be more worried about how to get them - I bet you could call ML and explain your situation and see if they can authorize something through the Anchorage BB. I would think they're likely to be receptive for what they are going to make off the purchase.
                                Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Here's a picture I just posted on the Martin Logan Owners forum, of my theater/listening room with some measurements. It's a rough sketch. Trying to figure out whether a new pair of Martin Logans would fit in there okay. To sound proper, they'd have to be pulled out 4' from the front wall, cutting down on the front walk room in front of the seats.

In deciding whether to go with the CLX's, I would want to make sure they would work in my room. Maybe you ML experts can help. Here's a rough diagram of my theater/listening room with dimensions and measurements. Front projection onto a 108" screen. Current speakers are 7.1 based on M&K S-150's. Dual SVS PC-Ultra subs. 7 seats as roughly laid out (couldn't really draw arced theater seating) sitting on top of two levels of risers.

If the CLX's would stick out about 4' into the room, I guess that would leave just over 4' more between the front of the speakers and the riser's front edge, plenty of room to walk. That would be about 70" from the speaker to the front edge of the front seats, maybe 84" (7 feet) on the shortest line from speaker to actual listeners' heads in the front row.

Would like to hear thoughts, if this is too tight a fit in the front of the theater. Because the risers are fixed, I don't really have the capability of adjusting seating positions very much. I assume the room size itself is sufficient (about 21' x 22' x 8.5')

Also, if I did this with the CLX, would you keep the center channel on the front wall right below the screen? Or pull it out 4' into the room just like the CLX?
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"