X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

Subwoofer Poll

In everybody's opinion, what would be the best subwoofer for 2CH & 5CH use. No higher than $3000 CDN. For use in a room 25X30

Right now I am looking at the Servo 15, Velodyne DD series and the PB12-Ultra/2 which I have never heard of but would love to hear some reviews.
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Armbender, if you roll over to Hometheaterhifi.com you will see a review done by Ed Mullen on the Servo 15. He also did a review on the PB12 Ultra on HTF using the same testing methods and the Ultra came out ahead. The Ultra 2 outperformed it. The cost difference and whatever discount you get will make it tough to compare from a cost standpoint.

If you want direct links I can PM you because the forum frowns on external forum links and I understand.

As big of a fan of SVS as I am, I don't think the PB12 Ultra 2 outperformed the Servo15v2 by much. The shipping costs + brokerage fees may make the difference up between the 2 rather quickly. In the states, the difference is about $500 depending on what finish you want on the Ultra 2.

I have heard the Velodyne HGS series but not the DD. The HGS15 I heard was humiliated by the SVS CS25-31 package in terms of low bass and output. For musical quality, the difference was nil. Both were "musical". Whether or not the DD series is significantly better is another story. The Ultra is better than the CS series though.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

For me that would likely involve a custom built sub using one of the long throw low distortion drivers like we're suggesting in this thread or even an IB subwoofer if space permits for the optimal performace to dollar ratio.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

If you want a sub that can do 2 ch as well as home theater, look no further then Rel.

The Storm III or 5 would fit the bill perfectly. Rel subs are very unique on how they connect to ones system. You can set them up both ways . It has 2 internal preamps one for line level and one for speaker level.

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
          • Oct 2003

SVS PB12-Ultra/2 unbelievable at least try it it has a 45 day return policy. 1999.00 american. it will peel the skin back on your face.

Comment

• Armbender
            • Jul 2005

I think I'm gonna go with the Ultra 2. I'm just waiting for a friend of mine to order his PB plus just to hear what the driver sounds like
            Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• ajpoe
              • Jul 2004

If you can swing the DIY route, I'd second reading that thread that Andrew posted the link to... after all, that was me they gave all the advise to.

Now that the project is done, I am still completely amazed with every new movie. I have NEVER heard bass like this before, not even in a showroom. My friends are also completely blown away and the whole thing only cost me about $1800 including the Crown K1 and BFD and I had 2 15" subs to show for it.

I am also a big 2 channel music listener and these fit perfectly. The sound is so crisp and clean!
              AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

I'm certainly considering going the route Ajpoe did. I'll post on his thread.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

The list price of the B&W ASW750 is CAD$2400 in Canada.

It might be worth an audition. I certainly like mine.

Comment

• WannaDIY805
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MICHAEL STRO
                    it will peel the skin back on your face.
                    :roll:

Comment

• Paul H
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Armbender
                      I think I'm gonna go with the Ultra 2. I'm just waiting for a friend of mine to order his PB plus just to hear what the driver sounds like

If you re-consider going the diy route as you were thinking about a while back I have a 210 litre black sub cabinet with a hole for a 15" driver in it. It's not fancy or beautiful, but I can sell it to you for the very reasonable price of zero as long as you're picking it up

Paul

Comment

• Armbender
                        • Jul 2005

Thanks for the great offer but I bought the wife a pair of boots so i can now order my PB12Plus 2 in March. Cant wait till I upgrade my speakers to 804's and HTM3 next year. (maybe she will need a jacket or something) LOL

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"