X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiebrock
    • Jun 2006

I'm a newbie that needs help deciding on speakers and subwoofer

I bought a house that had a dedicated theatre in it, but the owners took the projector, screen, receiver, as well as 2 free standing side speakers and the subwoofer. Someone suggested that I get these, which I think are the ones that were there before. Are there any comparable products that I should consider instead that might be a better for about the same price range?

Velodyne SPL-1000 "10" (subwoofers)

PR. B&W DS6 S3 2 Way dipole Surround ( Speakers)

I don't even know where to begin looking. I believe my current speakers are B&W, I just need the 2 surrounds and subwoofer. Someone suggested getting the SVS PB12-Plus/2 or one of the SVS DD series for the subwoofer, but I don't know if there are speakers for about the same price that would be better than these.

What I really need is a website or something that explains all the terms, technologies, and features I should be looking for in speakers and the subwoofer. I found a magazine that explained about receivers so I was able to make a decision on that, but I know absolutely nothing about speakers. My dedicated theatre is 24.8 x 15.5 x 12 and it looks like this, only its missing the surround speakers you can see on the wall:

• aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I'll give a second recommendation to the SVS subs :T

As for speakers, find out what you've got for mains and match those, if your mains are B&W's your works almost done
    Jason

Comment

• eddiebrock
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by aud19
      I'll give a second recommendation to the SVS subs :T

As for speakers, find out what you've got for mains and match those, if your mains are B&W's your works almost done
      Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be there tomorrow so I'm going to find out if they are B&W's. So you also think the SVS subs are better than the Velodyne SPL-1000 "10"? Without getting too technical, could you explain what it does better? I'm very happy two knowledgable people both recommended them, but its nice to know why.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I agree with Jason--match the speakers.

As for the subs, I'm another dual-SVS owner, and always recommend them to others. Great product.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by eddiebrock
          Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be there tomorrow so I'm going to find out if they are B&W's. So you also think the SVS subs are better than the Velodyne SPL-1000 "10"? Without getting too technical, could you explain what it does better? I'm very happy two knowledgable people both recommended them, but its nice to know why.
          Velodyne makes great subs but they tend to be more money for the amount of sub you'll get compared to SVS.

For one the SVS is a 12" sub, the Velodyne's only a 10". Lower, louder and cleaner are probably the best things to sum it up
          Jason

Comment

• jonathanb3478
            • May 2006

Originally posted by aud19
            Lower, louder and cleaner are probably the best things to sum it up
            And bigger!

No one will ever accuse SVS of making dainty subs. I love my 20-39 CS-Plus, but the form factor is largish.

Subs are just one of those things where bigger is better.
            Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
            -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

jonathan, have you seen SVS's line of box subs? They're no longer just cylinders. Some of the boxes are rather small. (I'm still a cylinder guy myself)
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Vinny
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                jonathan, have you seen SVS's line of box subs? They're no longer just cylinders. Some of the boxes are rather small. (I'm still a cylinder guy myself)
                The box sub from SVS is still huge, and heavier in terms of weight as well. My PB-12/V is like 110pounds, while the beast ultra/2 is getting to 200pounds!
                But the weight offers the degree of stability that you can use it as coffee table :B
                Last edited by Chris D; 05 December 2016, 12:34 Monday.
                Pioneer KRP-500M
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Parasound 5125
                Oppo BDP-83
                Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• grit
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by eddiebrock
                  I bought a house that had a dedicated theatre in it, but the owners took the projector, screen, receiver, as well as 2 free standing side speakers and the subwoofer. Someone suggested that I get these, which I think are the ones that were there before. Are there any comparable products that I should consider instead that might be a better for about the same price range?

Velodyne SPL-1000 "10" (subwoofers)

PR. B&W DS6 S3 2 Way dipole Surround ( Speakers)

I don't even know where to begin looking. I believe my current speakers are B&W, I just need the 2 surrounds and subwoofer. Someone suggested getting the SVS PB12-Plus/2 or one of the SVS DD series for the subwoofer, but I don't know if there are speakers for about the same price that would be better than these.

What I really need is a website or something that explains all the terms, technologies, and features I should be looking for in speakers and the subwoofer. I found a magazine that explained about receivers so I was able to make a decision on that, but I know absolutely nothing about speakers. My dedicated theatre is 24.8 x 15.5 x 12 and it looks like this, only its missing the surround speakers you can see on the wall:

http://i3.tinypic.com/1620hlk.jpg
                  Really, you're in luck. The surround speakers are the least critical in matching sounds, as is the sub. In a perfect world, you'd match the surrounds to the front 3 speakers. Pull the grills off and see what you've got.

Velodyne makes a great sub. B&W is more of a musical sub, but not what I'd pick for a home theatre application.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"