X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeepPurple23
    • Dec 2004

Cary Audio in the running?

Ok, here's where I am in my system. We have a nice size dedicated home theater room in the basement of our house. Currently, I have a Pioneer Elite HD RPTV with KEF Reference 202c and 201s for the main, some crapping Bostons as the rears (Mainly because they needed to be mounted, but they do their job), a Denon 3910 on the way for DVD and I'm running it (temporarly) with a Denon 3805 which will up to the family room at some point in time. The KEFs are fairly neutral, however, if they do lean it is to the bright side although very slightly. They provide that great "British" sound which I always feel is a little warm so the brightness just may be relative, anyway, I'm getting off track.

Now for the question, I'm looking to go to separates in the room, we don't use the room nearly as much as I would like, so I've scaled back my budget some what (it's still an undetermined number though, I know, that's trouble). I have been looking at the Bryston setup (SP 1.7/SPV1 and 9B SST) the Aragon Stage One, ane the Parasound Halos (still undecided as too which one). I thought that I was done there until I read a review of the Cary Audio cinema 6 and the cinema 5 or 7 amp. It sounds like they may be great alternative and I would save a few bucks over my favorite of the above group, the Bryston. The rub here is that there does not appear to be a dealer in the Chicagoland area.

Long way to get to the question... :B Has anyone heard this set up and how does it compare the others in the group that I've mentioned?

DeepPurple
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I have not heard a Cary but if you want to hear some Brystons in all their glory, I am a 90 minute drive north from you. Give me a shout, my door is always open to fellow enthusiasts.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• DeepPurple23
      • Dec 2004

Jimmy

I may just do that, of course, it would be just to hear your excellent setup and to meet a fellow enthusist. I have heard the VMPS and the Bryston together before and I thought that the match was fantastic. At that time I already owned the KEFs or I may have gone with the VMPSs. While the Bryston is still high on my list, I'm considering the Cary because I think at the end of the day I may end up saving approximately $3,000 and not lose that much in the sound, not to mention that since my wife is quasi-hot on a plasma it would help off set the cost. :T

I've contacted Cary trying to find a local dealer, I'll let you know if I find anything.

DeepPurple

Comment

• Danny Daniell
        • Dec 2005

Just wondered whether you ended up going for the Cary kit? It is something that i am looking at right now. I am also a Kef Reference owner (203/202c)
        & would appreciate your opinions

Thanks,
        Dan

Comment

• stewfoo
          • Jul 2005

I can say that the Cary CD player is amazing. It has a tube output option as well as optional upsampling.
          Stew

Comment

• Danny Daniell
            • Dec 2005

Cheers Stew,i hope to check out Cary kit at Stone Audio when i visit the Bristol show in feb..... Nads new Master series looks tempting also!

Dan

Comment

• stewfoo
              • Jul 2005

Yeah, that cd player is great. It is fun to switch between upsampling rates and the tube option. It really does allow you fine tune the sound. I am not a big fan of the tube sound....
              Stew

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"