X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

RSX-1056 with RB-1080 . . .

Hi everyone. I am so glad that I found this board . . . it looks like it will provide lots of great information.

I'm considering upgrading my system from 2 channel to a 5.1 system. I currently have an RB-1080 powering my Paradigm Studio 80's. I do have some budget considerations and I was wondering if any of you are using the RSX-1056 in tandem with the RB-1080? If I went this way I assume it would be possible to utilize my Studio 80's for the L/R main speakers in HT and 2 channel mode (powered by the 1080) and use the RSX-1056 to power the center channel and surrounds? I'd be looking at Paradigm Reference speakers for the center channel and surrounds. I'm thinking that the 1056 would have ample power for CC and surround duty.

Would this configuration be a decent match? I'm pretty sure that a seperate 5 channel power amp and processor would be out of my price range, hence the reason I was looking at the receiver. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this pros and cons of this combo.

Are there any other considerations that you can think of?

Thanks in advance!
  • pdr711
    • Sep 2004

NMG

I recently purchased the 1056 and 1080 as well. I was worried about the 1056 having enough power for my center and surrounds (Onix Rockets). I had a Yamaha 1400 before the 1056.
    Anyways, no problem as far as power goes. The 1056 provides more clarity and power than the Yamaha did, in my opinion.
    I hope this info gives you some confidence in your 1056 purchase.

Dan

Comment

• NMG
      • Oct 2004

Thanks for the info pdr711. One thing I was wondering was in regards to playing music in 2 channel. When you do this, can you still have the sub in use (without using the center and surrounds) or are you limited to the front L/R speakers?

Right now I use my sub along with my Studio 80's (using the high pass filter built into the sub) and I prefer this setup for music over running the 80's full range. The sound is just more dynamic and the sub handles the lower frequencies much better than the 80's can.

Once you designate the sub for the LFE, I'm not sure how that works when switching between 5.1 and 2 channel.

Thanks again!

Comment

• pdr711
        • Sep 2004

You can listen to 2ch with or without sub. I believe when you enter the OSD you can designate whether you want to use sub or bypass the analog signal and just use the L/R full range only. I use the L/R + sub when I listen to 2ch.

Dan

Comment

• NMG
          • Oct 2004

Thanks for the info pdr711!

Comment

• audiofan
            • May 2004

Originally posted by pdr711
            You can listen to 2ch with or without sub. I believe when you enter the OSD you can designate whether you want to use sub or bypass the analog signal and just use the L/R full range only. I use the L/R + sub when I listen to 2ch.

Dan

Do you set you FL/FR and others to SMALL when listening 2 channel + sub?
            thanks.

Comment

• pdr711
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by audiofan
              Do you set you FL/FR and others to SMALL when listening 2 channel + sub?
              thanks.
              I do have all my speakers set to small. I am not sure if you set the FL/FR to large if the sub will play during 2ch. I have not tested that out yet.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Pdr711,

I do have all my speakers set to small. I am not sure if you set the FL/FR to large if the sub will play during 2ch. I have not tested that out yet.
                If the front left and right speakers are LARGE then for stereo playing the subwoofer will not be used. Hence many people using the ADVANCED setup menu to make the front left and right SMALL for Dolby, DTS etc and LARGE for stereo...

Also note that for stereo with an analogue input - as soon as you activate the subwoofer the processor needs to digitise the analogue signal to remove the bass so it can be sent to the subwoofer instead. This means that for a CD player it can we worth also connecting the digital coax or TOS Link cable (Coax is best). Given that you have small speakers and need to use the subwoofer all the time, you may well find that leaving the signal digital as it goes into the 1056 gives the best sound - since it avoids the CD player converting it to analogue and then the 1056 converting it back to digital to process it!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"