X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

1066 vs 1068

I know it's been brought up before...

I have a 1066 and am curious as to what changes the 1068 has. Anything really worth "upgrading" for? Will there be much of a sonic difference (improvement)?

Or is the 1066 to 1068 a pretty minor change?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 1068 offers much improved bass management, DAC's, PLIIx, and some other minor nuances like being able to set the turn on volume, audio delays, and distances are now in feet or meters etc. Its clearly a better machine and depending on your speakers etc the improved bass management could be significant. That said if its going to cost you $$$ to upgrade I'd say keep the 1066.

Comment

• luszer
      • Feb 2003

I felt the move from a 1066 to 68 was well worth it. Stereo bypass, better OSD, more setting options are worth the extra price of admission

You are probably better off selling your 1066 privately and then grind your dealer for a discount on the 1068.

Ron

Comment

• Fred7
        • Jul 2004

I actually went from the RSP-1066 Pre to the RSX-1056 receiver and I am very happy. I use the receiver as a preamp/processor with the pre-outs. This may be something that you may want to consider. The thing that made me switch was the enhanced bass management and true analog bypass. I know that most people might not consider this an 'upgrade' but the 1056 is about $400 cheaper than a RSP-1068 and to me the 1056 just seemed a better value. I had owned both an RSX-1055 and RSP-1066 at the same time and I didn't really notice any sound quality differences. Since home theater is changing so much I plan on upgrading often so I don't want to invest more than I have to. Also, EBay has been great because I can sell my old stuff for quite a bit of money making the upgrades less costly.

Comment

• spiffnme
          • Apr 2003

No doubt the 1068 has a few nicer features, but I guess the bottom line is, it'll cost me at least $300-500 to make the move, and I don't really think it's worth that much. I've always hated Dolby Pro Logic in all it's various iterations, so I highly doubt DPLIIx is going to change my mind about.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll stash my extra pennies away and put them towards a new tv next year.

Comment

• n3philim
            • Feb 2004

1066 vs 1068 in by-pass mode

Quick question while we're at it? What's the difference between the by-pass of the 1066 versus the 1068? I do know that the 1066 has that double bass issue even in 2 channel mode. With the remedy of totally defeating the bass of the 1066 in by-pass mode (speaker setting set to large), is there a difference in sound compared to the 1068?

I was just wondering since the 1068 isn't out here in the Philippines yet. I do use my 1066 in by-pass mode for 2 channel audio. DAC I use is that of the RCD-1072. So would the 2 channel by-pass of the 1068 outdo the 1066 in my current setup?

Many thanks in advance.
            Last edited by n3philim; 19 October 2004, 01:16 Tuesday. Reason: changed title

Comment

• JDH
              • Sep 2004

I recently put a deposit down on a new RSP-1066, I was upgrading from using an older AV receiver with new Rotel Power amps. Basically the 1066 was 50% off retail the 1068 would not of been as good value. For me I will give the 1068 a miss and consider an upgrade to the RSP-1070? or what ever number replaces the current RSP-1068. All the same if money was not a consideration I agree the RSP-1068 is better, it is up to you whether you can justify the extra money spent to upgrade for the extra features offered.
              Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• n3philim
                • Feb 2004

anyone? :T

Originally posted by n3philim
                Quick question while we're at it? What's the difference between the by-pass of the 1066 versus the 1068? I do know that the 1066 has that double bass issue even in 2 channel mode. With the remedy of totally defeating the bass of the 1066 in by-pass mode (speaker setting set to large), is there a difference in sound compared to the 1068?

I was just wondering since the 1068 isn't out here in the Philippines yet. I do use my 1066 in by-pass mode for 2 channel audio. DAC I use is that of the RCD-1072. So would the 2 channel by-pass of the 1068 outdo the 1066 in my current setup?

Many thanks in advance.
                Last edited by n3philim; 21 October 2004, 21:16 Thursday. Reason: misspelled word

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

My upgrade from the 1066 to 1068 cost $500 and was worth every penny.The 1068 does everthing better than the 1066.The sound is more detailed without being harsh the new dac's and powersupply really help.Bass management is improved.Video switching with upconversion is a big plus if you have a front projo(I only have to run one set of component video cables to my projo).Onscreen display through component video.Dot matrix display is nice.PLIIx is nice.All in all very nice. :T

Comment

• n3philim
                    • Feb 2004

Thanks for that Claude. I've heard the 1068's DAC is really good.

But if the 1068's 2 channel audio is run in by-pass, how does it compare to the 2 channel by-pass of the 1066. Is the 1068 more musical? More quiet? :?:

Comment

• Claude D D
                      • Jan 2003

I run my DVD963SA set to upsample to 24/192 via the analog CD input set to bypass and it sounds great, slightly more detailed and open sounding than when just set to 2 channel stereo.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"