X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Rotel upgraditis

G'day,

Thought I'd share some thoughts on my Rotel purchases, in the hope that someone my learn from my experiences, or commiserate on upgraditis.

I bought an RSP-1066 pre/pro and an RMB 1075 5x120w amp just under a month ago. After a few days, I traded the RSP-1066 for an RSP-1068, as I thought the 1068 had better sound. While I was at the store exchanging the pre/pros, I listened to the RCD-1072 CD player and picked that up as well.

Last weekend, after trying the 1075 out on a pair of B&W 805 speakers, I thought the sound was little aenemic. I was going to get an RB-1080 to drive the fronts, and use the 1075 to drive the center + rears.

However, after a demo in the store today, I couldn't pick that much difference between the 2-channel output of the 1080, and the RMB-1095. I'm also considering getting a fairly demanding center speaker, which the 1075 probably cannot drive that well, so I've decided on the 1095. If (when!) I need 7.1, I'll add the RMB-1080.

So in the space of one month, I've moved from RSP-1066 to RSP-1068, added the RCD-1072, and moved from the RMB-1075 to the RMB-1095, in the search for ever elusive sonic nirvana.

Hopefully I've reached the limit of my upgraditis in terms of pre/pro and amps. Certainly my credit card (and my wife's patience) has hit its limit

Now, onto the speakers...

-- Geoff
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

there u go Geoff....you are now the Club Rotel moderator, aren't you? You can't be working at a Mercedez dealership and coming and leaving work with a Lexus or BMW now can you? Enjoy them gear!!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

Way to go man!!! Nice system

And - I get to feel better for all those times in Club Rotel and Club B&W when I've advised people top spend more money upfront on better amps - not to mention the sonic benefits of the RSP-1068 ovetr the 1066)...

Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Blazemaster,

there u go Geoff....you are now the Club Rotel moderator, aren't you? You can't be working at a Mercedez dealership and coming and leaving work with a Lexus or BMW now can you?
        Wrong Geoff - I'm the new Moderator joining Andrew... And (sadly) I can only dream about owning a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW...

Well at least as long as I keep spending so much time and money on HT!

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

And (sadly) I can only dream about owning a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW...
          I understand far to well your pain

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
            Blazemaster,

Wrong Geoff - I'm the new Moderator joining Andrew... And (sadly) I can only dream about owning a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW...

Well at least as long as I keep spending so much time and money on HT!

Geoff
            Geoff,

I thought you received one of those fine automobiles once you became a moderator of the forum. You mean all they gave you was a key to the executive bathroom :rofl:

I digress, Geoff II that is a very nice setup you have there, don't let upgraditis get the best of you. BTW, 7.1 is beautiful with DoProIIx, just thought I would mentioned that :T .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• EAmin
              • Aug 2004

...I know what you mean

I'm in the same boat with the upgraditis (and being in the dog house with the wife). Not even a month into my first HT/Home Audio system --- I've already upgraded. Last last week, I bought a RB 1090 amp, RT 1080 tuner, RCD 1072 CD Player, RDV 1060 DVD Player. This is in addition to the 1098 processor and 1095 amp and B&W 700 series speakers I bought in September. I love Rotel gear!

This is going to be it for me for a while --- at least until Rotel comes out with a SACD player.

I can't wait to hear the difference with 2-channel using the 1090 vs. the 1095. I'm hoping I will hear it.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

EAmin,

Way to go! :T

You have an outstanding system - all top of the line Rotel components... :B

That 1090 should make the 700 series sing...

Worth being in the dog-house a while for that...

Presumably you are now 7.1 with the 1090 and 1095? (If not you neeeeeed it badly and could reeeeeally be in the dog house soon!) :lol:

I hope you have lots of fun rediscovering your CD and DVD collection (which is what it is all about in the end!)

Geoff

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

Hey Geoff! Thank you! You've been a great help in all of my purchases.

I don't have 7.1 yet, but will someday when we move (a few years from now). I don't have another wall to mount a 2nd dipole speaker to do seven channels (as the room opens up to a kitchen). I just really wanted the 1090 cuz it's seems to be a real beast. I've mentioned the 2-channel a lot, but I'm hoping I can also hear a difference in HT too.

With respect to the other gear, I think I'm becoming a believer that having dedicated players is the way to go (which is why I'm getting the CD and DVD player --- and hopefully the SACD too). I'm not having a good time with my Pioneer universal as some DVD-As play mulichannel, some don't. All SACDs play 2-channel eventhough they are multichannel CDs. It's really driving me crazy.

System should be in within the next couple of weeks. Will let you know how it sounds.

Comment

• jlee
                    • Aug 2004

You should be able to hear the improvement the 1090 brings, and I totally agree with you about having dedicated DVD and CD players.

Comment

• hired goon
                      • Aug 2004

G'day,

However, after a demo in the store today, I couldn't pick that much difference between the 2-channel output of the 1080, and the RMB-1095.
                      I'm also considering getting a fairly demanding center speaker, which the 1075 probably cannot drive that well, so I've decided on the 1095. If (when!) I need 7.1, I'll add the RMB-1080.
                      An update: I tried out an RB-1080 vs RMB-1095 again the other day, using an RC-1070 as the pre-amp, and hooked up to Sonus Faber Cremona speakers.

This time I could hear a difference between the 1080 and the 1095. Not sure if the higher damping factor of the 1080 was the cause of this, or if the 1080 is sonically superior to the 1095.

So maybe multiple 1080s are the way to go, rather than a 1095...

Comment

• JDH
                        • Sep 2004

Just wondering what you did with your used RSP-1066, do you still have it, sold it privately or traded it in? I know someone in Australia who might be interested in one.
                        Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• hired goon
                          • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by JDH
                          Just wondering what you did with your used RSP-1066...
                          It was new, and I traded it in for the RSP-1068.

Comment

• EAmin
                            • Aug 2004

hired goon,

Could the sonic difference be due to the fact you were using the RC-1070 vs. a RSP-1068 in your demo? I'm sure the amps made a big difference too. Just wondering if you are comparing apples to apples. I keep reading how the RC pre-amps are so much better for stereo than the RSPs. Wondering if this is the difference you are hearing with the RB-1080.

I can't help but wonder if I should try to hook up an RC-1090 (for stereo) and use it with my RSP-1098 (for HT). I think you've written other posts about combining a RSP-1068 and RC-1070. I'm really, really tempted to try it. I ordered an RB-1090 a couple of weeks back, which should be installed in the next couple of weeks. I just keep imagining the sound of an RC-1090 in my setup.

Always looking to get a little bit more from my HT/home audio system. What's wrong with me?

Comment

• dermie999
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JDH
                              Just wondering what you did with your used RSP-1066, do you still have it, sold it privately or traded it in? I know someone in Australia who might be interested in one.
                              JDH I have sent you a PM. I have a used RSP 1066 with a negotiable price.

Regards,

Trevor

Comment

• hired goon
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by EAmin
                                Could the sonic difference be due to the fact you were using the RC-1070 vs. a RSP-1068 in your demo?
                                Possibly, though some people reckon there's not much difference between the 2-channel output of the RC-1070 and the RSP-1068. I also had better listening conditions, and better speakers, in my recent comparison. Whatever the reason (amps, room, speakers), I did notice a small difference.

I've sent an email to Rotel tech-support just in case, to see what they reckon about RC-1070 vs RSP-1068, and RMB-1095 vs RB-1080.

It makes life difficult however -- I can trade in my RMB-1075 for an RMB-1095 right now, or I can keep the RMB-1075 and add a RB-1080. Dunno which option I should take...

I can't help but wonder if I should try to hook up an RC-1090 (for stereo) and use it with my RSP-1098 (for HT). I think you've written other posts about combining a RSP-1068 and RC-1070. I'm really, really tempted to try it. I ordered an RB-1090 a couple of weeks back, which should be installed in the next couple of weeks. I just keep imagining the sound of an RC-1090 in my setup.
                                Surely, with all the Rotel gear you've purchased lately, your dealer would allow you to have a home demo of the RC-1070 or RC-1090?

Comment

• EAmin
                                  • Aug 2004

If I were you, I would go with the 1095 vs. the 1075. You never know when you'll need more power. I try to buy more than I need cuz you never know what you will need down the road. Plus, if you add an RB-1080, you're speakers will be balanced from a power perspective (200 wts. per channel). Don't know what kinda speakers you're running.

As for the 1068 and RC-1070, it depends what you are doing at home (HT or audio). If you are doing HT, obviously you need the 1068. You get more flexibility with the 1068.

I think I'll try the RB-1090 with the 1098 to see how things sound before I jump into a more complicated setup. I just can't help but dream.

Good luck to you!

Comment

• hired goon
                                    • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by hired goon
                                    I've sent an email to Rotel tech-support just in case, to see what they reckon about RC-1070 vs RSP-1068, and RMB-1095 vs RB-1080.
                                    An update: here's what Rotel tech support have to say about this:

* Would I hear a difference if I replaced my RMB-1075 with either RB-1080 or RMB-1095?

You will notice an improvement in sound by bumping up to the 200 watt amps but mainly because the amps are not having to work as hard to drive the speakers. There may be a slight sonic improvement by using the 1080 over the 1095 but I am not sure that you could hear it. From a technical point of view the 1080 should have a slight advantage over the 1095 since it only has two channels sharing one power supply but the difference would be inaudible to me.
                                    Certainly there's a sonic improvement in moving to 200w amps from the 1075. I thought I could pick a small difference between the 1095 and the 1080 on the weekend, but I'm prepared to admit I may have been biased (I didn't do a blind A/B). I'll try again later this week, but perhaps the best option really is to trade the 1075 for a 1095 now, and pick up a 1080 later.

* Would I notice any improvement by using the RA-1070 stereo pre-amplifier, rather than using the bypass mode of the RSP-1068?

The "BYPASS" mode of the 1068 is incredible, in my opinion. This offers a direct bypass of the sound with only volume control. The RA-1070 would have superior sound because it has less chance of interference of the original signal but again, I think that this would be next to inaudible. If you had a perfect setup with incredible interconnects and your room acoustics were ideal then you would probably notice the difference.
                                    Rotel suggest that the 2-channel output of the 1068 in bypass mode is, for all practical purposes, equivalent to the 2-channel output of the 1070 stereo pre-amp. I haven't AB'd these two yet, but I'm inclined to believe this is the case, so I'm not going to rush out and purchase the RA-1070 just yet. If I decide on two separate systems, then it's an option, but not while the RSP-1068 is driving everything.

Hope this helps someone with similar questions.

Comment

• EAmin
                                      • Aug 2004

Thanks hired goon! This definitely helps.

I think I'll be sticking with my 1098 paired with the RMB-1095 and RB-1090, making sure to run 2-channel in bypass mode. I can't wait to get my new gear. Just countin' the days.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"