X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken B
    • Oct 2004

Matching the RMB1095 with PMCspeakers

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Has anyone has any experience matching the RMB 1095 with the PMC LB1 or any other PMC range before. The LB1 is rated at 87db and 4ohms. They are studio monitor speakers with excellent detail and bass.

Also, how would you describe the tonal characteristics of the RMB1095.

Would appreciate your advise and inputs.

Regards
    Ken B
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

The 1095 has a slight midbass emphasis. It does not go as deep into the bass as some other amps. I've tested this because I have REL subs connected high level to the amps, and the REL subs I have, although they have a spec of -6dB at 12Hz, are thereotically limited by the amp they are connected through, since the signal must first pass through the amp. Since going to the Classe CAM-200, I've noticed deeper bass from the REL's, which means the 1095 was rolling off the bass quicker.

Highs... a bit rolled off... I think on purpose by Rotel since this is a HT amp and many movie soundtracks can sound bright... which is why I think I found the 1080 SLIGHTLY better in the highs. CAM-200's I have now seem to go significantly higher and are much more crisp and airy. Decay of treble is much better on the CAM-200's as well. Pitch accuracy of the 1095 on fine treble does not seem "true"

Mids - excellent, although voices on the CAM-200 are a bit more lifelike and pitch accurate.

Imaging, soundstage, etc. - excellent - not significantly off from the top amps.

One thing I didn't like is the slight hum you get with the 1095 due to the 2 huge transformers... this is different from a ground loop hum... this is a very subtle hum that you can only hear at times when putting your ear right to the speakers, but annoying nevertheless.

Build quality is excellent, except for the cheesy thin cover with a cheap black "speckle" finish. You'd think for $2000 they would spend $25 more and build the cover better. WBT plugs are good, but I prefer the ones on the Classe amps that don't allow the spades to rotate and absolutely ensure red does not touch black and short the amp. With the Rotels, there is still a small risk of that. I only use top of the line Furutech angled rhodium spades and torque them down with a socket. With the Rotel, I had to hold the spade in place while torquing it. With the Classe, the WBT plug holds it in place.

10 fuses inside... 8 of them very hard to access.

Looks are great...

Comes with nice wheels to ease moving around... and feet to allow holding them by the handles and laying it on it's back without crushing the WBT plugs.

Overall, a great amp for $2000... I don't think u can beat it for the price. I'm a very happy owner of the 1095 for 2 years... it was my "starter" amp before going to Classe monoblocks.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Comment

• Ken B
      • Oct 2004

Dear jlee,

Thanks for your inputs. Looks like a great amp for the price. I am deciding between the Rotel and the Bryston ST series (My dealer is trying to clear stocks to make way for the new SST series, am getting a good price on the Brystons)

Any comments?

Rgds
      Ken B

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

I've not personally heard the Brystons, but many people have positive things to say about them. I like Rotel because of the high resale value and general overall value and recognition. I recommend you get the Rotel unless the Bryston is offered at a price you can't refuse (make sure you audition it first though).

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"