X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Parasound JC-2 and PMC speakers at CEDIA

Well, Parasound oriented their presence at CEDIA towards the custom installer, so they weren't showcasing the JC-2. However, PMC speakers was using Parasound Halo products in their displays, so I went over and checked them out. On the home theater display, they were using the C2 and D3 for demo's, and over on their 2-channel display, they were using the JC-2 and D3.

This is the first time that I had actually heard the JC-2, or for that matter, the PMC speakers. Or perhaps to make the correct point, I did NOT hear either the JC-2 or PMC speakers. It was like they weren't even there--clear, un-colored sound. You couldn't hear any "flavor" or "coloring" from the system itself, it was just pure music.

Please excuse the picture quality, all I had for a camera was my cell phone. (cameras not allowed in CEDIA, but PMC let me snap these shots)

The D3 was hooked up to the JC-2 by a pair of balanced cables. The amps powering the big speakers you see on the ends are actually stacks of three different Bryston amps per speaker. I didn't think to ask at the show, and can't figure out what speakers those big ones are that were the main part of the demo, but I think they're some version of the BB5 XBD-A, made by PMC:

Oh, by the way... PMC says that the big speakers, amps, active crossovers, and cabling go for $95,000 a package. 8O And that doesn't even include the Parasound gear. We got to hear the smaller speakers you see in the pics too, which were great, (and even used a Parasound Zpre pre-amp!) but naturally those didn't compare to the first set. For those like me who didn't know, PMC has a firmly established position in the professional audio market, and brings their good technology down to us geeks in the commercial market.

Okay, okay, so you want to know how it sounded--freakin' incredible. :-y When the PMC rep first fired up the system, the left channel sounded a bit off. Not horrible, but not what I was expecting. He went over and checked, and some numbnut in the show had unplugged one of the amplifier cables. He plugged it back in, and voila! Nirvana. I can't really think of how to describe it without the standard cliches, but it was strong, clear, and tight. I'll say that it definitely was the finest sound I've ever heard using a Parasound product, including the noisy convention environment in which we did the test. I'd have to do some critical A/B testing in a controlled environment before I would make any sort of statement assessing whether it was the best 2-channel I've ever heard at ALL, but it's possible.

BTW... some wondering if PMC may be looking to switch from using Bryston products. Perhaps we could convince them to start using stacks of JC-1's for all their demo's? How cool would that be?
    Attached Files
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Nice report Chris. It's too bad that PMC hasn't received more attention in the private sector. Pretty much all of their speakers sound amazing especially the smaller ones given their size and what they can do. I was exposed to PMC almost two years ago and I think they are every bit as good as some of the more familiar brands that cater to the home market.

I am not surprised you found the Halo/PMC combo well matched. I heard the range of PMCs from entry level to the top of the line with Bryston equipment and felt this was an excellent combination as well. The best PMC systems have always commanded high dollars so a $95K price tag is no surprise either.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
      BTW... some wondering if PMC may be looking to switch from using Bryston products. Perhaps we could convince them to start using stacks of JC-1's for all their demo's? How cool would that be?
      Unfortunately Parasound does not manufacture electronic crossovers, the most crucial element for bi-, tri-, and quadamping, so it would still have to be a mix of Parasound and Brand X (Bryston?).

Using JC-1s would literally be HOT. You would need eight of them. As you know, I could not live with nine JC-1s. Literally, it's not cool at all although the AC is running all the time :B

However, a switch to cool running Boz amps would make a lot of sense since they have builtin crossovers (but this would yank up the price further).

The big PMCs indeed look intriguing. I guess it's not possible to purchase them without the amps tough (same as with Genelecs).

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

For those who want a little refresher of the JC-2's pics:

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Loffen
          • Oct 2005

It would not be an overkill to buy another set of JC1's and a JC2 and use them as a stereo setup beside my Halo surround system would it ?

:T

Comment

• hamtor
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Loffen
            It would not be an overkill to buy another set of JC1's and a JC2 and use them as a stereo setup beside my Halo surround system would it ?

:T
            No, that will only be great

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"