X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

1095 - What have been changed???

Can anyone tell me how many different models of the 1095 power amp there exists - and what the difference is between them??

The reason I am asking is that I have the model without the WBT look a like speaker binding post on the back. Alwayes assumed that this was the only change, until I saw a new review where they have a photo of the unit without the cover on. Compared to my model, two small print boards was missing - so now the big question is: what did Rotel change? And is there somehow an upgrade path, if there is a sonic difference between the models?
    And is it worth doing??
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Aarsoe,

There have been at least 3 (possibly 4) variations to the RMB-1095.
    Change 1 - WBT Binding posts, etc
    Change 2 - New Heatsinks, extrusions etc (change of supplier to Rotel)
    Change 3 - Grounding scheme

The published specs and sound are identical. Changes are "running changes" as far as Rotel is concerned aimed at improving reliability, dealing with specific customer issues etc. I would not worry if you aren't having problems. The Amps are good for 10 years plus with their high quality power-supplies.

There is no upgrade path available or necessary. It would seem that for some recent customers with mains / ground noise issues Rotel may be doing part of the ground scheme change (different resistors to alter the ground plane) as a fix. Again this is only an issue for the (very few) people with ground noise issues that are not ground loop related.

Geoff

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Geoff

Thx, the reason I wanted to know is that I have had a blown back channel - that is, would not give any output, just become smoking hot (did not actually smoke..) so naturally I was interested to see if there where anything changed that could have done that. Especially since I purchased my 1095 while living in the US, but have since then moved back to Denmark and therefore have no warrenty on the unit..

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

Come to think of it. What was on the two small pint circuits thats missing in the newer versions? Can't be any of the things you've mentioned..

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

aarsoe,

The RMB-1095 has two Toroidal transformers driving separate power suppliers for the channels (centre and surrounds). I believe (but don't know) that the two boards relate to regulation / conditioning of the power supplies. These were added early in the life of the RMB-1095. Later, when there was a redesign done with the new chassis etc Rotel redid the Power Supply boards and circuits. I suspect that the extra circuitry on these two boards was incorporated into the main power supply circuitry as part of this process.

I presume you had the RMB-1095 switched from 110v to 220-240v when you moved to Norway.

I'd get it fixed - a fried channel is usually one of the power transistors going causing overload on the circuit (class A/B design) and overheating. The solution is to replace all transistors and any heat affected components for that channel and you're as good as new. Any good amp repair shop should be able to do this - regardless of warrantee.

Geoff

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

I would contact Rotel and see if they will repair under warranty if you bought it from an authorized dealer. Shouldn't matter where you live now.

ht_addict

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Actually - it is undergoing repair right now.
              The thing about warrenty covering is not so simple as the US warrenty is, as I recall, 5 years - but in Europe it is only one year (now changed to two - but that was after the purchase)
              If someone can ask Rotel if they would cover, then I would be gratefull..
              The amp was purchased in 2001 in Austin, TX.

And yes - it have been changed to 230V...

Comment

• Darren M
                • Apr 2004

There was at least one more change to the 1095. At some point, they added the 12v trigger.

How difficult was it to change to 230v? I'm on the other end. I live in the Middle East and bought a 220 - 240 unit. I would like to have it converted to 110v when I return state side (and the RSP-1066 for that matter).

thanks

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

The change is pretty simple (I was told). Apperently their is two sets of primary wires for the transformer - one for 110/120 and another for 220/230. On top of this the fuses have to be changed.
                  All in all I was booked 2 hours for it - and anyone that have opened the 1095 knows that it takes about 20 min. just getting the top plate of, so fair enough..

But I would recommend to have a dealer do it - that way your covered in case something goes wrong..

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Well - finally got word of the cost for the repair. 200 USD which seems fair - only issue is that it will take 10 more days - at least :banghead:

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"