X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amras
    • May 2003

Leaving an Amp on- Good or Bad?

I have a 993 which does not have a trigger. What are the positives/negatives to leaving an amp on?
    Will it shorten the life of the amp?

Thanks

Amras
    Take it easy... If it comes easy, Take it twice!
    Amras
    Take it easy... If it comes easy, Take it twice!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I leave both my HK 5 channel amps on 24/7 since the triggers don't jive with the Rotel trigger. There's arguments to be made on both sides of the issue but not cycling the power on and off should make them last longer not shorter. Think of a light bulb...they usually fail when you turn them on since there's a rush of current. The same thing can happen with electronics. As a plus the caps in the amp will always be full charged and ready to go so there's no warm up period.

On the downside its a waste of power that can add up over the year. If I'm going to be away for an extended period of time I generally power my amps down otherwise I leave them on.

Comment

• ejfiii
      • May 2003

I am using a 1065 receiver with two outboard amps, niether of which have standby or 12 volt triggers. I am in the process of setting up the system now, and I am using this Panamax 4300 surge protector. It includes a few switched outlets and its controlled by a 12 volt trigger. Hopefully the trigger will be compatible with the 1065, but if not, I will leave them on all the time unless I am going away.

Good luck,

E. J.

My HT
      My HT

Comment

• RogueAngel
        • Jun 2002

I'd definitely like to know how the Panamax 4300 works out as far as being able trigger it from the Rotel.

Keep us posted.

Comment

• sdecker
          • Jun 2002

The trigger on my 1055 works fine with my Panamax 5300, so I bet the 4300 works too.

earle

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"