X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greve
    • Oct 2004

Monitor Out on RSP-1098

I've followed Club Rotel for a few weeks to help me decide on an RSP-1098. I bought one last week and so far I have not looked back (it replaced a TAG McLaren AV32R-192, which is no poor performer either...).

I realise that this forum is probably the best way to get an answer (or explanation) to my problem with my RSP-1098. I want to run Composite and S-Video to my screen simultaneously, as I have both S-Video and Composite sources, and I don't want to swap cables on the back of my screen all the time. This setup worked fine on a previous harman/kardon AVR4000 but on the RSP-1098 it seems not to work as the picture is garbled, presumably because the RSP-1098 keeps both outputs active and my screen can't handle that. Maybe the h/k I had this working on was different and only kept one output alive at any one time...

Does anybody use the Monitor Outs like this? Am I doing something wrong?
  • dermie999
    • Jul 2004

Hi greve,

I don't know the answer to your question but there is another better way using the 1098. Run a Component Video connetion from your 1098 to your display and use the fact the the 1098 will upswitch Composite and S-Video sources to Component Video to the display This way, your display stays on the one input all the time and you change video sources simply by switching between inputs on the 1098. Addiutionally, if you add Component Video sources to the 1098 your display will operate in optimal mode.

Trevor

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Welcome Greve

By the the sounds of it your display doesn't have a discrete line in that isolates the S-Video and the Composite. I would do as Trevor sugests and run all source signals to the 1098, and then only run an S-Video from the 1098 to the display. As stated you get the benifits of the 1098's upconversion of a composite signal, via S-Video

Good to hear a 1098 can hold it's own against a Tag Maclaren AVR32R-192 :T That Tag is certainly top class equipment, and alegedly one of the best sounding pre/pros in exsistence.
      Bing

Comment

• greve
        • Oct 2004

-> Trevor: My display does not have Component in, otherwise your suggestion would work fine, and I would have done it. Hopefully there will soon be a suitable Plasma coming my way so that this will work with Component... ;-)

-> Bing: The RSP-1098 does not upconvert Composite to S-Video ("only" to Component) hence I need a Composite cable to my display to be able to display my composite sources. My display used to work fine with this setup with an h/k AVR4000, so I think it's more something in the RSP-1098 that prevents this from working than my display.

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Right you are on the Component only upconversion.

It could have something to do with the 1098, passing signals in parallel :scratchhead:

I know in an older Sony TV I use to have, I could not have a Composite and a S-Video signal plugged in to the back of the display at the same time as it did not have discrete input lines. On the Video line input it was S-Video or Composite input. The Video line could not handle a composite and S-video connection at the same time. If both were plugged in at the same time it would displat exactly as you discribed. I did not have a switching recever at the time and the componets were directly connected to the TV.
          Bing

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Here's your solution:
            RCA to Svideo Converter

Buy one for every piece you have that is composite only, and then only run the svideo cable from the 1098 to the TV.

This won't let you run the composites for the TFT screen though. That would require composite video splitters (regular RCA y's won't work). Look for cheap car-audio video splitters as they're a lot cheaper than home versions.

If you can't find an equivalent in England, they're cheap enough to buy and ship over.

Kevin D.

Comment

• greve
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Here's your solution:
              RCA to Svideo Converter

Buy one for every piece you have that is composite only, and then only run the svideo cable from the 1098 to the TV.

This won't let you run the composites for the TFT screen though. That would require composite video splitters (regular RCA y's won't work). Look for cheap car-audio video splitters as they're a lot cheaper than home versions.

If you can't find an equivalent in England, they're cheap enough to buy and ship over.

Kevin D.
              Thanks Kevin. This s exactly what I need - I just didn't realise they came this small. I found and ordered one in UK already, so no need to ship from US. But I do loose my PS2 on the small TFT then... ;-)

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

If it's just the PS2, an adapter cable is available for it with LR audio and Svideo out. Still cheap and will give you a slightly better PS2 picture since it's svideo native, not a conversion.

That said, you've all ready ordered the converter, you might want to wait and get the component out PS2 cable when that new plasma gets ordered..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"