X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

New Rotel RSP-1098 info now on Rotel website

I was surfing the Rotel website today and noticed that they've added a link for the RSP-1098 now on the home theater processor page. Not much new info, bit there is a bit. A link to the .pdf file on the 1098 if you haven't seen it before too.

Rotel’s RSP-1098 surround sound processor with second zone capability is a command center for the very best home theaters.

One thing I found interesting is that the front TFT screen will only display a composite video signal, not S-video or component. All that means to me is that you'll have to send an additional signal from video sources to the processor just to display it on the TFT screen. (otherwise you'd only need one signal, either S-video or component, since the 1098 will automatically convert either signal into component anyway)

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oh, and it looks like they have a page for the new RDV-1060 DVD player as well. Some interesting stuff there. Looks like the only thing it's missing is a DVI output.
    ;h

Hey, question that somebody might know. Why does a receiver need to be HDCD compliant? (i.e. the 1098) I thought for anti-copying the important components with HDCD were the DVD player and the TV/projector. Is this not the case?

CHRIS
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Heheee... looks like you can't say 1098 in direct parinthesis with no space. I can post about the ( 1098 ), but I can't say (1098).

Kind of like the various forums that auto blank out the word "treatment" because it contains "eatme"
      :hump:

CHRIS
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jpossum
        • Jan 2003

Hey Chris,

I think I'm going to order the new DVD player. Can you tell me if the lack of DVI is a big deal in your opinion? I'm just learning about all this stuff so I'm not sure if this is a "deal breaker".

Thanks

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Jpossum- I don't think anyone could call lack of DVI on any DVD player a deal breaker, as there are still very, very few players out there that have DVI outputs, which would keep the signal digital all the way to the digital video display. (well, with the right type of DVI, that is--far beyond my discussion here)

But I think from my perspective I would guess based on technology and trends this is the way we'll have to go in the future--purely digital video transmission. That may be something to keep in mind in order to stay on the leading edge of A/V technology in the future.

For example, check out this HTGuide thread on a DVD player Samsung will be producing later this year. Not even close to out yet.

CHRIS
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JKohn
            • Jun 2002

Hey, question that somebody might know. Why does a receiver need to be HDCD compliant? (i.e. the 109 I thought for anti-copying the important components with HDCD were the DVD player and the TV/projector. Is this not the case?
            HDCD has nothing to do with copy protection, you're probably thinking of HDCP, which is the copy protection used over DVI (and has already been hacked before any products even widely support it).

HDCD is a way of encoding red-book audio cd's to get 20-bit resolution while still being backwards compatible with standard CD players. Having it in the receiver is nice, because then the CD player doesn't have to support it (as long as it has a digital connection). HDCD doesn't provide near the improvement of SACD or DVD-A, but it does offer an improvement over standard CD. There aren't too many HDCD's out there though, I think I have 2 in my collection of over 200 CD's.

Jeff Kohn
            Jeff Kohn
            http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"