Is combo rsx-1056 + rb-1080 good for both HT and stereo music?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Is combo rsx-1056 + rb-1080 good for both HT and stereo music?

Hi,
    I've just bought rb-1080. I was just wondering whether rsx-1056 is good enough for HT (as i only use the system for HT about 20%, 80% is for music). i currently have denon 3805 (plan to sell it and get rsx-1056), Axiom M60 speakers, and my listening room is 12x14. Since rsx-1056 is 75wpc, i just want to ask for your expertise.

thanks for reading.
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

I upgraded from a marantz sr7000 to the rsx1056 it great at ht and music.GET IT

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

I use an RSX-1055 wich is a little older than the 1056 and I think it does a great job at 7.1. I started with a Yamaha RX-V850 and the Rotel blew it away. As I am sure you have seen in many posts here, It is bang for the buck, no holds bared.

Comment

• Eiffel
        • Aug 2003

I'm using a RB-1080 with the predecessor of the receiver you're contemplating (RSX-1055). It works great (if we set aside the trigger/fuse issue which I experienced) and provided a substantial improvement over the RSX-1055 amplifiers.

The 1080 is a little bit overkill as the 1055 pre-amp section is clearly a limiting factor (I have another much better two channel preamp, and the 1080 really comes to light with it), but this is great value for the money, and as close to an investment in this hobby -- Further, the 1056 is said to be better than the 1056, so you may not be in the same situation.

Listen and have fun.

Comment

• audiofan
          • May 2004

Eiffel,
          which trigger/fuse issue do you mean? is it something that 1056 has problem with? don't get me wrong, denon 3805 is good machine, but when i listen to 1056 at the dealer,it blows me away ...of course the room accoustic and set up at the dealer is much better then what i have at home. Unfortunately , I can 't demo this with 1080 ...that's why i'm asking for the suggestion from all of you..

thanks.

Comment

• Eiffel
            • Aug 2003

The trigger/fuse issue is something that affects the 1080. There are 4 internal fuses that have been known to blow fairly easily when the 1080 is in triggered mode. A few users have reported it (a search of this forum will give you much more information)...

A workaround is to use the front switch on the amplifer, or to leave it on all the time (which is ok for people with the newest units as they don't draw much current when idle)... A fix that Rotel proposed (using 8A fuses instead of 6.3A) might work too, but it's no panacea.

Comment

• audiofan
              • May 2004

so, as long as i don't use trigger , which i never use anyway, then i'm fine, correct?

Comment

• pdr711
                • Sep 2004

Just wanted to jump in here about the blown fuse situation. I purchased a 1056 with a 1080 about a month ago. Blew an internal fuse in the 1080 when I hooked up the 12v trigger. I think I was careless in the way I hooked it up.

After I got it back from the dealer. I was more careful hooking the trigger up the 2nd time. I just connected all speakers along with the 12v and flipped the switch to on, on the 1080. Set the OSD to trigger on. The last thing I did was plug in the power cord for the 1080. It works fine and I have not had a problem since.

Dan

Comment

• Eiffel
                  • Aug 2003

audiofan, yes, you should be fine (and, with the low idle power consumption of the recently produced 1080s, this is only a minor issue)

pdr711, there is more to it than just the initial connection. Based on my experience, the trigger works fine most of the time, but the fuses still fail once in a while (which seems to coincide with not waiting long enough between power on and off, like when you inadvertantly press the wrong button on the remote... of course this is only my theory based on 2 data points ).

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"