• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bern
    • May 2003

Need Advice On My Set up

Hi Guys,

Presently I had this set up below.
    Appreciate if Anyone could advice me how do I get the best out of this system. Or do I need to add or change anything to get the best of it?
    I'm more on HT (70%) then music, listen mostly on Jazz and Vocal (30%).

System.

1. Rotel RSP 1066 Processor.
    2. Rotel RMB 1075 Power Amp.
    3. Pioneer DV-533K DVD Player.
    4. Pioneer CLD-D580 LD Player.

Speakers.

1. Wharfedale Diamond 8 Center Speaker.
    2. Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 Main Speaker.
    3. Wharfedale WH 2 Surround Speaker.
    4. M&K V-125 Subwoofer.

Cables.

1. QED Silver Anniversary Biwire Speaker Cable.
    (Processor to Center and Main Speakers)
    2. Silver Shadow by ED Acoustic Composite Video Cable.
    (DVD to Processor to TV)
    3. Monster Interlink 400MKII Interconnect (Processor to Power)
    4. Monster Interlink DataLink 100 Digital Coaxial. (DVD to Processor)
    5. Monster Z Bass 100 Subwoofer Cable (Processor to Sub)
    6. 12AWG Silver Cable (not sure about the brand) (Surround Cable)
    7. ED Acoustic Audio Interconnect (LD to Processor)

Hope you may understand my poorly english. ops:

Best Regards,
    Bernard Tan
    (Singapore)
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

I suggest you try and get the same cables for the connection between RSP1066 and RMB1075 for all channels instead of using different ones. This will give best consistency.

Comment

• Bern
      • May 2003

Hi Scarp,

Yes the cables from my RSP1066 to RMB1075 are using the same Monster Interlink 400MKII.

Thanks and Best Regards,
      Bernard

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

What are you using for a display? If its HDTV compatiable maybe an upgrade to the DVD player is in order...or how about adding a projector?

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
          • Jun 2002

What is it that you don't like about your system? What I'd do to get the "most" out of your components may not suit your tastes.

I think that we sometimes focus on "upgrading" this or that, and forget what it's really all about - the source. Relax and enjoy.

Comment

• Bern
            • May 2003

My display is a Philips Match Line 29FL1770 29" TV. is more then 10 years old. Planning to upgrade to either a RPTV or maybe a projector but won't be that soon.

Sound is more importance to me.
            What I'm planning now is to upgrade my 5 speakers first. As I can't figure out how to get the best out from my wharfedale diamond speakers. If I would change all the 5 speakers (L,C,R,SL&SR) which brand and model will you recommend? I'll stick back with my M&K Sub.

Regards

Comment

• Bern
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Nicholas Renter
              What is it that you don't like about your system? What I'd do to get the "most" out of your components may not suit your tastes.

I think that we sometimes focus on "upgrading" this or that, and forget what it's really all about - the source. Relax and enjoy.
              I feel that the diamond center dialogue not clear enough.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Welcome Bernard. Well, this is really a system synergy question, not a Rotel question. Andrew please move this after it's had time to get all it can from Club Rotel to home theater.

Not being familiar with Wharfdale speakers, I can't give you good advice on those. If you want to open your sound up a bit, well, silver interconnects from pre-pro to amp could help. In fact, I once sold some Quantum Silver Centauri to Zeppelin Audio in Singapore. So, you might check with those people, if you know of them. I own Quantum Cable, as well as CAT Cables and Zeus below, in case you wondered my relationship there.

I don't know if Zeppelin still has any Silver Centauri left, as it has been a while ago.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• spiffnme
                  • Apr 2003

Center channels output mostly midtones, and some high end sounds. These sounds are generally very direct. Is your center channel speaker aiming directly at your listening position? If it's pointing a bit above or below you're ear level this could cause some clarity problems.

Try tilting your center speaker a bit up or down so that those tweeters are aiming right at your ear level from your sitting position. This small little tweek can make a big difference, and costs you nothing.

If this doesn't work, and you want new speakers, my recommendation is Axiom Audio. Dang fine speakers for amazingly affordable prices. The catch is, you won't be able to demo them before purchase. You could post a message on their website boards to see if there are any Axiom owners in your area that would let you listen to their setup.

Good luck!

-Craig

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                  All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Bern
                    • May 2003

Hi Lex and Spiffnme,

Thanks for your adcive will try it out.

The problem that I'm facing right now is the sound level balance.

I had set all channel to 75db including the Sub. And if I turn the volume up to 55 to have a clearer dialogue then the sound effect will be too loud. If I set the center to higher db then it sound like not balance. I don't know if is the speakers problem or my setup problem.

Will all this thing below affect the sound?
                    My speakers Frequency Respond and so on.
                    Diamond 8.4 main 30Hz to 20KHz, 6ohms, 86db, 150w
                    Diamond Center 60Hz to 20KHz, 6ohms, 88db, 100w
                    WH2 surround 80Hz to 20KHz, 6ohms, 88db, 120w

What should I look for if I want to get a new set of speakers?

Regards,
                    Bernard

Comment

• zeppelin
                      • May 2003

Ben, its not ur set up problem or your speaker problem. Movies from DVDs or LDs when cums to dialog on the centre channel will be much lower than the rest of the effect speakers. I dont know why but maybe the directors or the Film maker did it on purpose.
                      If you calibrate your system using the Rotel internal tones you will get a higher db for your centre and so your centre channel will sound louder and its abit inbalance but you got to hear your dialog clearly. When you use an external source pink noise from a DVD or LD like the Video essential or THX Optimizer AVIA you will notice that you have to set your centre channel lower, mine is about -4db.
                      when I played a music CD or DVD using 5 or 7 channel stereo the centre will sound balance with all the other channels but comes to movies the centre dialog sounds lower. you have to crank up the volume to hear your centre channel but than when comes to the effects sound your whole room feels like exploding.
                      So dont blame your system, its the source actually.
                      You can read my thread when I ask for a comment on the Rotel1066 test tone. http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=Threads.viewthread&Tid=69900& Forum=25&StartRow=1&CFB=1

Comment

• zeppelin
                        • May 2003

By the way contact me if wanna sell your Pioneer CLD-D580 LD Player. :LOL:

Comment

• Bern
                          • May 2003

Huh?? you want to buy my LD player?? I though no one will want to buy LD player anymore. Anyway I can't sell it to you as I have some 20 or so LD. thanks. I also have some problem with this LD player. can't connect the AC3 to my 1066 processor :-(

Comment

• ZX 6R
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by zeppelin
                            Ben, its not ur set up problem or your speaker problem. Movies from DVDs or LDs when cums to dialog on the centre channel will be much lower than the rest of the effect speakers. I dont know why but maybe the directors or the Film maker did it on purpose.
                            If you calibrate your system using the Rotel internal tones you will get a higher db for your centre and so your centre channel will sound louder and its abit inbalance but you got to hear your dialog clearly. When you use an external source pink noise from a DVD or LD like the Video essential or THX Optimizer AVIA you will notice that you have to set your centre channel lower, mine is about -4db.
                            when I played a music CD or DVD using 5 or 7 channel stereo the centre will sound balance with all the other channels but comes to movies the centre dialog sounds lower. you have to crank up the volume to hear your centre channel but than when comes to the effects sound your whole room feels like exploding.
                            So dont blame your system, its the source actually.
                            You can read my thread when I ask for a comment on the Rotel1066 test tone. http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=Threads.viewthread&Tid=69900& Forum=25&StartRow=1&CFB=1
                            ahhh....I tried to resist posting to this thread...I did...I really did! since it's not Rotel specific.....But I caved!! ops: Anyways this bit about the center channel not being at the same level by directors choice is flat out wrong! Before Lex or Andrew beat me with a large stick I'll keep it short and simple Movies and most surround material today is mixed on IDENTICAL speakers all the way around. If you don't have in the center what you have on the left and right you are not hearing it the way they intended.....period...end of story. When you use identicals conflicts between dialog and FX are greatly minimized. Center channels or "dialog speakers" are a construct of marketing.

Comment

• zeppelin
                              • May 2003

ZX 6R you maybe right and you maybe wrong too. I'm not here to argue but I got all 3 fronts identical speakers and exact same Model, the centre channel no matter what will sound a bit lower in the dialog. Efects and music can sound louder in the centre speaker but not the dialog session between the actor and actress.
                              Rotel and most of the modern Processors got a compression mode to play the movies at night, where you cant really blast your sound to the reference level and so you can hear the dialog session at night when you set at a lower volume and the effects speaker wont be that loud to wake up the neighbours.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"