X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhuskins
    • Aug 2003

Monster, Tweeter Abruptly End 20-Year Relationship

Most of you guys will find this interesting...

Monster, Tweeter Abruptly End 20-Year Relationship

Late Monday night, Monster Cable Products and Tweeter Home Entertainment Group announced the two companies would no longer be doing business together. After 20 years of Monster products on Tweeter shelves, the two companies have decided to terminate their business relationship.

According to a Monster release, company officials became increasingly concerned over Tweeter's financial stability and the "exposure of its four million dollar credit line."

After Monster announced a roll back of Tweeter's credit line, the retail store dropped all of Monster's products and replaced them with inventory from AudioQuest, Panamax and JL Audio.

"We believe that this separation is a huge loss between the two companies as Tweeter is one of most successful retailers under Monster's M4 program, and Monster is one of the most profitable vendors for Tweeter," says Noel Lee, founder of Monster Cable.

"This is a sad end to a long relationship. It was a true partnership between our two companies."

According to a Tweeter release last week, Monster's products were taken from the shelves because they did not measure up in comparison of quality, value, profitability, margin and customer satisfaction.

"Over the past year, we have been evaluating our existing vendor mix... By going through this process the merchandising team found a series of opportunities that we feel will be beneficial for our customers," Tweeter CEO Joe McGuire said. "As a result of these moves, we have made the difficult decision of removing Monster from our product mix. After many years of partnership, we certainly wish them only the best for the future."

Last year, Tweeter awarded Monster with a "Best Category and Development Award."

"I have to believe that the change was very emotional, especially considering the time of year," Lee said. "I only wish that we could have met to work things out."

Brent Huskins
    Media Design
    HTGuide Sponsor
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hehe, couldn't have happened to a better company (Monster that is)! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

According to a Tweeter release last week, Monster's products were taken from the shelves because they did not measure up in comparison of quality, value, profitability, margin and customer satisfaction.
      Imagine that ......... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Finally... it's about time!

Now if BestBuy would pull all of Monster's line from their shelves, I'd be SUPER HAPPY!
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

:lol:
          Jason

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

I have to admit I am very happy with my Monster 400 sub cables - 25' in length which I needed due to placement issues. They may not be the 'best' but they are affordable. CATs will be the replacement choice.
            Last edited by miner; 27 September 2005, 18:19 Tuesday.

Comment

• H.Donald
              • Aug 2004

Hmmm...I looked all over and could not find an icon for fake tears....so I'll just say...
              "don't let the door knob hit you,where the good lord split you"....

Most of my cables I have bought over the net....there is a Tweeter near me,so it's good to be able to look at other brands.I am in the market for a sub cable...the only other store near me is a Nantucket sound,which had nothing in."Best buy" is the other store in town.

Monster seems to have aligned itself with Radio Shack...it seems to be a more "proper" fit.

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

H.Donald, check out http://www.catcables.com for your sub cable needs. Hmmm.. maybe this is Doug's chance to break into the retail store market. I'd frequent Tweeter more often if they had CATs in stock.

Now let's see if they drop Bose next.

Comment

• bhuskins
                  • Aug 2003

I was going to say the same thing about the CATs

Brent Huskins
                  Media Design
                  HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• H.Donald
                    • Aug 2004

I may just do that...you guys use Coolcats for your sub?

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I'm using 2 6-meter CoolCATS for mine.

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

I used Bluetigers (CAT copper interconnects) for my sub in my old HT. Note that I used a passive SVS sub, so the Bluetigers ran from the receiver to the BFD, and then to the amp.

Coolcats are sold as singles instead of pairs, since most setups run a single cable to an active sub.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                          Hehe, couldn't have happened to a better company (Monster that is)! :T
                          Why is Monster held in such low regard David?

Comment

• bhuskins
                            • Aug 2003

All Marketing...and little quality (with MOST of their stuff - some of their top pieces are pretty good.)

I'm a dealer for Monster and will only sell it on request...never suggested.

Brent Huskins
                            Media Design
                            HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• autio
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bhuskins
                              All Marketing...and little quality (with MOST of their stuff - some of their top pieces are pretty good.)

I'm a dealer for Monster and will only sell it on request...never suggested.

Brent Huskins
                              Media Design
                              HTGuide Sponsor
                              Well the above may be true, I think the reason you can almost feel the emotion in the posts you will see about monster (negative) is because of their megalomanic owner suing every small (or big) company who has the word monster in there name! google it and you will find stuff like this http://www.madmartian.com/legal/ and this http://www.madmartian.com/legal/disney_complaint.pdf

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Nigel,

Brent and Autio are both right. Over-hyped and over-priced (for what you get) describe Monster cable products perfectly. I can't really comment on their other lines as I haven't bought anything Monster-related in 6 years (and counting). One caveat is mentioned above - their high-end cables DO get good reviews - but at a price.

The fact that you can get better for less, and that their business practices are extreme enough to give Dubya wet-dreams are all it took to put me square in the "anti" camp.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

I do have a few monster cable stuff (like their HTS 2500, PS2 Component cables, and I think even a little bit of speaker wire laying around somewhere). All in all I can't really complain, they all were decent quality...but the price is where it kills you. They are really marked up for what they are.

That and their business practices are HORENDOUS. There's no need to go after every company/small business that has "monster" in their name... that's just ludicrous.
                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• H.Donald
                                    • Aug 2004

If I can look back at my audio/video life,I think it reflects what Monster is good for.
                                    When you/I first start out....we buy a receiver or whatever and are curious about making it sound better.We look at the rather thin cables that come with the product,and start there.Because Monster has the cool name and is so mass marketed...we bite.And it does sound better than your out of the box cables.
                                    But we grow older and wiser...and after trying other brands,we form the above opinions.
                                    Some of their products...such as a couple of interconnects that I used,actually hurt my system by "muddying" the sound.However,I did like their high end sub cable...
                                    Just the other day,I was in Best Buy....I overheard one young man ask his buddy if he knew about Monster cables.He then went on about how great they were...I thought to myself,you got a lot to learn,kid.

I'm sure I still have some Monsters in my systems....component cables,analog interconnects...somewhere....

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I think most of us, if not all of us, here have experienced Monster Mania to some degree. They have become the Microsoft of the cable industry and nobody likes the "King of the Hill" regardless of product hype, price or quality.

There are other "popular" cable manufacturers that have drawn public scrutiny also. Does this mean they are BAD too? Not at all! Just like everything else in this enjoyable hobby it simply comes down to personal preference. No more. No less.
                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• gd
                                        • Jan 2003

Who here -- with more than a few years in the hobby -- has not started out with Monster cables?... am slowly weeding them out of my systems, but it's not because they're such crappy cables.

I think of them more as the 'Budweiser' of cables, with the CATs and other online guys being the 'microbrews'... with a whole 'nother order of esoteric 'champagne' cables out there that few of us will ever try, barring a lottery win.

I met Noel Lee some 20 years ago, interviewing for a job with Monster... I'll be polite and just say that it was good for both of us that I was declined.

Lex, I have an order coming, honest!... just gotta collect a check or two.
                                        greg (gd to you)
                                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Never owned a Monster cable I will say I was tempted at the beginning of my AV education though but thankfully never succumbed :lol:
                                          Jason

Comment

• bhuskins
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by gd
                                            I think of them more as the 'Budweiser' of cables, with the CATs and other online guys being the 'microbrews'... with a whole 'nother order of esoteric 'champagne' cables out there that few of us will ever try, barring a lottery win.
                                            Nice analogy...I'll continue by saying that all of the above will get you drunk, but you'll have more fun getting there with the specialty brands like CAT. :beer:

Brent Huskins
                                            Media Design
                                            HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• NMyTree
                                              • May 2004

My heart bleeds for them.

Okay, I'm lying.
                                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"