X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rumn8r@mac.com
    • Sep 2004

1068 volume changes by itself

I have a 1068 prepro that is several months old. It is a replacement for one that had a hum problem that I bought March 2004. I am very happy with it but have one problem: the volume adjusts automatically, apparently at random times. It usually happens only once or twice per evening and either increases to maximum volume or decreases to minimum volume. It usually happens after at least 30 minutes of powering on. My previous 1068 did it as well. I have my components in a closet and use a Home Theater Master MX-800 RF remote. It doesn't seem to be the remote because I just watched the volume decrease on the 1068 with no IR signal broadcast from the RF receiver / IR broadcaster base station. I have been monitoring this forum for several months but haven't seen anything about this. Has anyone heard of this happening?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Rumn8r,

Very strange indeed. I don't recall any other postings on this. I'd say it was a faulty RSP-1068 except that you say your previous unit did this as well...

Are you sure there can't be anything wrong with the RF/IR repeater in your closet that is sending the signal? It seems much more likely that two identically faulty units...

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Agreed if it were just this one unit I'd say it could be an issue with the receiver but seeing as its occured on two the culprit is likely something else. Do you have a plasma TV? Are you using the IR extender plugged into the back of the Rotel? What else is on that IR system? Where are the IR receivers located...and does this occur during day or night (or both?)

Comment

• GosonFletchy
        • May 2004

Lights can send out IR signals sometimes, even sunlight can cause IR problems. I would try and cover the IR sensor with some aluminum foil or something like that and see if it stops. If it stops doing it then you at least know that you are getting some stray IR signal from somewhere in your room.

G.

Comment

• rumn8r@mac.com
          • Sep 2004

I do have a plasma but I doubt that it is stray IR because my equipment is in a dark closet on the same wall as the plasma but 15 ft away. It is possible that the RF/IR repeater is malfunctioning but I observed the volume decreasing once (recently) without the red light on the repeater flashing. I guess I will disable the front blaster on the repeater and use individual flashers to each piece of equipment. I just wanted to check to see if this was a known 1068 problem before I took the time. I guess it is not. Thanks.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
            • May 2004

Check the plasma too. They are known for emitting some IR as well. Turn off the plasma and see if it stops the unit from freaking out, then you will narrow it down some more.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Right Plasma's are known for causing all sorts of problems with IR signals. My question about day vs night was also in reference to the issue sunlight can sometimes have on IR receivers as well. I know mine upstairs doesn't work well when there's bright light in the room and I can see low level activity on the LED on the connection block during those times so I know there's noise in the system due to sunlight etc.

Comment

• rumn8r@mac.com
                • Sep 2004

I don't understand why you guys think the plasma or daylight is causing problems when the unit is in a dark closet. It is difficult to turn off the plasma to check because it is so intermitant. For instance, I have been watching TV for the last 2 h tonight and no problems.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Rumn8r,

Plasma can create issued though plasterboard etc if too close to equipment. How far away is the Plasma screen from the closet?

Geoff

Comment

• Stevebez
                    • Oct 2003

Had the same problem with a 1066. I could not isolate the problem 100%, but seems my setup at least is very similar. Panasonic Plasma with Xantech IR setup. 1066 unit in cabinet. My take on this is that the plasma at certain times emits an IR signal that is the same as the IR code for the Rotel RSP sound volume setting. Panny Plasma's are apparently the worst at this, especially if you hav small room with flat walls allowing good reflection of signal. It seems to me the auto sound changing happened when there was a lot of white on the display. The IR repeater system seems to interpret this IR flooding as a remote signal and transmit it as a legitimate signal through to the processor.

You might also find the 1066/8 does not always respond to the remote volume button as it sould since there are IR clashes with the plasma.

It never happened when the IR repeater was not used. Have a 1068 now and it has not happened with this unit again though.

Best suggestion is to get a special Plasma friendly IR receiver for the IR repeater system. Xantech make a model 490-90. Since I had this unit I have never had another problem - its not cheap though £100 or so.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• AndrewD
                      • Oct 2004

I have had a similar yet I think different problem with the volume control on my faithful RSP-980 (which I still really enjoy the sound of, coupled with my RB-985. I am very jealous of all you guys with newer equipment though!). Occasionally it "jumped" back and forward one or two notches on the volume control. Once or twice it wound all the way up or down too.

This was quite annoying because (as well as raising/lowering the volume) it brings up the on screen display, which I don't really want to see in the middle of a movie. I think it was actually due to dust that had slowly worked its way into the motorised volume control, and the sensors that detect its movement. I took the lid off my RSP-980 and attacked it with the vacuum cleaner and that seemed to solve the problem.

It is possible you might be seeing a similar thing, since this has nothing to do with stray IR from plasma's etc (I have a crt TV) but is similar symptoms. Hope this helps.

Comment

• rumn8r@mac.com
                        • Sep 2004

Update

Last night the volume decreased to 0 by itself. I adjusted it back up with the remote and then opened the closet door to see what would happen next (this often happens a couple of times in a row). I unplugged the IR blaster and covered the IR receiver on the 1068 with my finger (pressed hard against it). The volume went up by itself to 85 (the max that I have set). I tunded the volume knob down to ~60 and when I let it go, the volume returned to 85 by itself. It did this over and over until I turned the volume down with the remote. Now I am sure that it is the 1068 and plan on contacting my dealer for an exchange. I hope I don't have problems returning it because this is an intermitent problem.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"