X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feng
    • May 2003

Power Amp decision

Hi, My first post here. I am after a power amp for the front speakers. Now I have narrow my choice down to Rotel. For money, I can get RMB1066 which is 60wpc X 6, which can be bridged into 150wpc x 3, or RMB1070 which is 130w x 2 to satisfy my music sense first, then take care of my centerlater on.

My question is if a Amp is bridged like the RMB1066 which claims for 150wpc X 3, which will be the perfect option for my setup, is there a catch interm of bridging?

I prefer the quality on Music than the HT. Spec wise, 1066 just couple of hundred dollars more over 1070, I can have 3 channel and 30wpc extra over 1070. Is there anything I should look out for for bridging?

Opinions please.
  • hanser
    • May 2002

I have a precessor of the 1066, the 956AX 6 channel amp (6x40W, bridged 3x 100W). I read a lot on this amp and found out, that in summary: bridge, if you have a not very efficient speaker (low dB); do not brigde if you have a low ohm speaker. I have B&W CDM 7NT and compared both modes. I preferred the not brigded mode, it seemed to be less muddled and clearer. I never got the impression that I was lacking for power.

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

I would go with the RB1070. I use it myself for B&W 604S3's and it sounds incredible. I also have a RMB1075 and this just gives a different sound when used in stereo mode.

Another thing is that you leave on channel unused when using it bridged in 3 channel operation. This is just a waste of enery. So when listening to a lot of stereo just get the 2 channel amps.

Also there might be more power when using it bridged, but still the control over the speakers is less.
      Compare it with using one RB1090 and using two bridged 1070's. I would always prefer the one RB1090 even though spec wise the two combinations are more or less equal. The sound is just different.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
        • Mar 2003

Scarp,

I did not realize that the 1075 had a 2 channel mode. Does the output increase when in 2 channel mode? What do you mean when you indicated that the 1075 sounds different in 2 channel mode (sound good or sounds bad or....).

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Ow ... hehe ...sorry, I just mean when I only use 2 channel of the 5. Leaving 3 unused. I meant "stereo" mode of my RSP1066 preamp.

But my point is, that when you listen mostly stereo music, its better to get a good stereo amp like the 1070 or 1080. The 1066 you can then use for your back channels and center.

Comment

• feng
            • May 2003

Thanks all for your reply. I think I just go and get the 2 channel one to ensure the benefit. My speakers are CDM1NTs, should I get 1070 or 1080. would the extra w really gonna make the huge difference for this speakers? Doubling of the price also the fact that there isnt any dealer here I can audition the Power Amp, so I can only relay on your opinons..

Cheers,
            Feng

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

I find the 1070 to be enough for my B&W 604's. I havent heard the 1080 yet, but from what I've heard from other people that it sounds a bit different. For me it was also not worth the double price to go to the 1080. I think it would be worth more saving up some more money and directly move to the 1090.

So, I think you are save with the 1070. Maybe try and make a deal with your dealer that u can return it if it sounds crap

Comment

• Mark_C.
                • Jan 2003

You should be fine with the 1070.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"