Rotel RSX-1055 as a pre/pro? How to upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan_MF
    • Apr 2003

Rotel RSX-1055 as a pre/pro? How to upgrade?

Right now I have my RSX-1055 running Dynaudio Audience 122 mains (6 ohm) and Dynaudio Audience 42 surrounds (4 ohm), with a Dynaudio Audience 122C (6 ohm) to arrive this week. This is quite a load for a one-box solution like the 1055. I'm thinking about picking up a multichannel amp to decrease the load and I'm torn between two options. 1) A more powerful three channel amp for the center and mains with the 1055 running the surrounds and a set of rears that I plan to add in the future - another set of 4 ohm Audience 42s. 2) A more powerful seven channel amp at roughly 100-120 Watts per channel at 8 ohms with the 6/7 rear channels being added in the future.

Which option would be a better route? Would the savings on a three channel amp (over a seven channel) be worth it, even though I would still be running four 4 ohm speakers on the 1055?

Advice is needed.
  • sdecker
    • Jun 2002

Ryan,

The 1055's amps are stable into 4 ohms so having them power your surrounds is no problem.

If you want to use the the receivers amps sor something you could find a nice 3 channel amp for the front channels and have the 1055 drive the rest.

earle

Comment

• Morten
      • May 2003

Ryan,

I have no comments on your question, I just could'n help my self asking what you think about the 1055 - Dynaudio Audience 122/42 combination, this is exactly the combination I'm very tempted to go for. I have no doubt that both the Rotel 1055 and the Dynaudio Audience speakers are super products, but is this also a working combo. I have a fairly small room , so I'ts my hope that the 1055 have enough power to handled to Dyn's in my setup.

Morten

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Are your mains bi ampable? If so get the 5 channel amp but use two channels per main speaker and the remaining channel for the front Centre and then allow the 1055 to power the sides and rears. That gives you more flexibility down the road then the 3 channel amp does IMO

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

Andrew, I think all Dyns are single-wirable.

I have have just bought a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.1s, for use with a 1055 (not arrived yet, soon I hope ) but have the upgrade itch already so I'm very interested in this thread.

I did ask various dealers about the upgrade path from here, but my priority has switched to 2ch, so not surprisingly the answer was get a good 2ch power amp.

Comment

• Ryan_MF
            • Apr 2003

The Dyns are not able to be bi-amped.

The 1055 does a wonderul job when mated with the Dyns, especially when running my 122 mains in two-channel in my relatively small listening/viewing space. However, even when running the four channels that I now have, the Dyns sound like they could use a bit more power. I plan to add a 6 ohm 122C sometime yet this week, so I am anxious about how my HT performance may be effected.

I am moving to a larger space in less than a year and will be inevitably adding another pair of Audience 42s for the 6/7 channels. I'm looking into acquiring a series of monoblocks for more power, headroom and flexibility.

Comment

• Troy R
              • May 2003

Ryan_MF,

I don't know if you'd be interested or not but I came across this site when I was looking for a Dynaudio center channel. They have an older C120+, which is probably similar to the 122C for about half the cost of a new 122C. I just got a C120+ from a dealer for $399 (MSRP was around $800) It's a pretty good match to my Dynaudio 1.3mkII.

just a thought...

Dyn C120+ (alt+w)

Sub: Polk Audio PSW450
              Receiver: Yamaha HTR 5240 (next on the chopping block)
              CDP: NAD C521

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"