Kevin D and Kevin P question!! SACD on Rotel 1098 Via Digital??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Kevin D and Kevin P question!! SACD on Rotel 1098 Via Digital??

This is a typical Kevin D and Kevin P type of question as they are great at answering these type of questions. :T
    If I play an SACD in a sony DVD palyer and the light goes on the SONY and states that I am transmitting SACD signal ,and it is connected to a Rotel Pre/Pro 1098 In Digital optical will I be receiving a true SACD signal through the Rotel 1098????? ops:

Does the 1098 accept SACD signals like DVD-A??? :roll:

As the sony is connected in Digital Optical to the 1098 ,when I put it in ByPass I get no signal whatsoever whether it is in stereo or Multi -channel..Is that because I don't have an analog connection?????????? 8O

Sorry for the silly questions after all the HDCD discussion I had with you guys last week..But it is the same question but this time with SACD through digital optical. Sorry amateur here!!! :E
    Thanks guys for your advice and kind help. God Bless!!!
    Chinets ;x(
  • foeth
    • Apr 2006

SACD is only transmitted through analogue 5.1 cabling (or HDMI I suppose). The digital jack is 2 channels only.

SACD and DVD-A are both 6 channels, so connected with the above cabling works for both formats.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Foeth is correct, in most cases (including w/Rotel gear) you need the analog 5.1 cables hooked up for SACD or DVD-A. There are some proprietary solutions that some companies have for DVD-A (such as Denon Link), but that only works if you have the same brand components (e.g. a Denon DVD-A and a Denon receiver that both have the connection).

Also, Sony players don't do DVD-A.

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

Thanks guys,
        Right!!!! ONLY analog perfect!!!!!!!!

Does the Rotel Pre/Pro 1098 accept or play the SACD signal ,as I know for sure that this Rotel can accept the DVD-A signal.???????

Thanks guys for all your Kind help!!
        Kevin D and Kevin P thanks again for helping me!!!!
        Chinets

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by chinets
          Does the Rotel Pre/Pro 1098 accept or play the SACD signal ,as I know for sure that this Rotel can accept the DVD-A signal.???????
          Analog only, for SACD *or* DVD-A. In both cases you need a player capable of playing the corresponding format. In other words, your player needs to be SACD compatible to play SACDs, same for DVD-A. Though DVD-A will play on non-DVD-A players, you won't get the high resolution audio. Most DVD-A discs have a DD, DTS or PCM track compatible with video DVD players.

BTW, what DVD player do you have, Chinets? A Sony? Sony doesn't do DVD-A, but they do make players capable of playing SACD (since they co-invented SACD with Philips).

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

Thanks Kevin P for your kind help.
            I have a Sony capable of SACD Only, and I had a Rotel 1060 that was capable of DVD-A Only, but it broke down after 3 months( It was Bran NEW) ,so I just upgraded to the Marantz DV 9600 which arrives tomorrow ,and should be installed soon. This Marantz will play both SACD and DVD-A and HDCD (the whole works, bells and whistles).
            The question was really does the 1098 Pre/Pro accept an SACD signal ,because I know it accepts a DVD-A signal which I did play on my RDV 1060.?????
            Thanks Kevin P for your kind comments and help. I always appreciate it from you guys.
            Best wishes,
            Chinets

Comment

• foeth
              • Apr 2006

AFAIK the 1098 doesn't really care if it's SACD/DVD-A or anything else... and it will most handle it quite well. I have the 1068 and it plays SACD though multichannel. Note: for CD playback you have to connect the 2 Channel Out from the player to the receiver as well, or use a digital link. My previous receiver used the front L/R channel of the 5.1 for stereo playback, but the 1068 doesn't, so I guess the 1098 won't either.

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Foeth,
                Thanks for your help ,but I didn't quite understand the part of the CD playback connection at all!! Amateur here and the lingo is throwing me off!! Sorry!!
                If I listen In Multi Channel all is well, but in twio channel is the part I can't grasp. I prefer Multi Channel but couldn't understand what you tried to explain for CD playback and stereo 5.1?? Stereo is 2 channel not 5.1? I am confused here!! Amateuritis has hit me hard my friend.
                Could you expalin in lay man terms: Go Easy on me!!!Thanks..I just hope you understand that I'm new at this hobby.
                Cheers,
                Chinets

Comment

• foeth
                  • Apr 2006

It's something I recently discovered, or did wrong (possibly ).

I use analogue 5.1 cabling for SACD play. But, when switching to CD (2 channel), I did not get any music with the 1068 on multichannel.

I had to connect the normal 2 channel OUT of the CD/DVD to the 2 channel CD IN of the 1068, or use the digital connection between CD player and 1068.

Perhaps I have a setting wrong in the DVD player or 1068, but you may have to use an additional cable for 2 channel playback.

I'm new at this hobby too, just bought Rotel 2 months ago... :T

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Thanks Foeth,
                    Got it!Thanks!! makes more sense now.
                    So for two channel I would have to use the above connection ,in addition to the 6 analog cables required for Multi Channel..Right????
                    For the two Channel would I need a Digital or Analog connection.?? You stated Digital but could it be Analog too?? That is of course besides the 6 Analog cables for Mult Channel??Am I on the right track now??
                    Sorry for the inconvenience. I am learning here thanks to you guys!!Thanks a million!!
                    Congratulations Foeth On your New Rotel.
                    Cheers,
                    Chinets

Comment

• Kobus
                      • Aug 2005

I think for 2 channel you can use either analog or digital. It depends which DAC's you want to use.

digital = DAC's of 1098 and analog = DAC's of player

Kobus

Comment

• foeth
                        • Apr 2006

@ Chinets: Am I on the right track now??

Yes! But, perhaps there is a setting that stereoplayback can be received by the multichannel input. Haven't found it so far and I'm using the digital cable (I have a problem with hiss from the DAC's (or so I think) that is reduced in digital playback)

Comment

• Kevin P
                          • Aug 2000

Ok, here's the "audio connections for newbies" post:

1. For regular CD playback, you can use analog (2 channel) or digital (coax or optical), whichever you prefer or sounds better to you.

2. For DVD Video playback (Dolby Digital, DTS etc.), use the digital connection. The processor decodes the signal. You could use the 5.1 analog connections for this as well, but you will normally get better performance with the digital connection.

3. For HDCD: If your processor decodes HDCD (most Rotels do), use the digital connection. If you have a player that decodes HDCD and sends it out the analog outputs, you can use analog as well. If you have a processor that doesn't decode HDCD but a player that does, use the analog connection.

4. For DVD-A and/or SACD, use the 5.1 analog connections. This applies for both 2 channel and multi-channel discs.

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

Kevin P,
                            Perfect I understood everything once and for all!!!!!!!!
                            WOW !!!!!!!!!Thanks man!!!
                            How do people live on this forum without you to save the day every day. God Bless!!!
                            Cheers,
                            Chinets

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"