X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RACER4551
    • Apr 2004

Help me decide?

Ok rotels guru's,need help trying to decide which rotel cd player to purchase either the rcc-1055 5 disc or the single disk 1072.I have always heard to stay away from multi-disc players if you are serious about music.I already have a multi format player that i use for dvd's and multi channel stuff,so i am after a good cd player.I really like the advantages of the multi-disc player as far as just putting in a few cd's and kick back but i also dont want to give up sound quality either.Knowing that the 1072 has a very good following and reviews,just wonder how much difference in sound vs the rcc-1055.Down side is that my local dealer doesnt stock either of these players so i could compare so i have to go on any info or recommendations from someone who has heard these players.It will be mated to my rsp-1068 and rmb-1095 if that matters at all.
  • Leef DaLucky
    • May 2003

I hear ya.

Not that I'm much help, being Rotel-less and all.
    But I always figured that you could get away with a Carousel and just use the Digital Coax (This utilizes the internal DACS of yer 1068 )
    This, i figure, would provide about 95% sound reproduction of a 1072/1068 analog setup, but still let us be lazy and leave 5 disks in there for partying.

at least, thats the way I'd go.

Cheers,
    Mikey
    P.S. my rationale, thus far, is based on a lot of the really close calls regarding coax vs. analog. If you're a REALLY serious music lover, I figure you'd be going SACD/DVD-a anyways, right?
    "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
    -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
      • May 2004

A/B comparisons multidisc/single disc

Firstly, congratulations on deciding on a Rotel CD player :clap:

If you are a real music lover you will already have an extensive CD collection (of which very little is available on DVD-A or SACD), and you'll want your CD's to sound their best. Rotel will help you achieve that.

I have both the RCC 955 and the RCD 1070. Both of these are the immediate predecessors to the two units you are considering. I have never regretted either of the purchases. They both serve their purposes extremely well.

I have done extensive A/B comparisons using both analogue and digital signals to a RSP 1068 . The single disc player (RCD1070) has won on all accounts. Don't get me wrong, the RCC 955 is a wonderful player which outperforms many single CD players, and almost all of the multiformat DVD players I have heard when playing CD's on my system, -which is saying allot for a 5 disc player. The RCD1070 is just more detailed, with more extension in the frequency extremes and a broader soundstage. (a word of caution - nothing hides from this player, it will separate the instruments and vocals so well, that you may be disappointed with how out of tune some of your favorite groups members sound when they aren't buried in all the other sounds). If I had to give up one of these units, it would be the RCC. As much as I like the flexibilty of the 5 disc player, I would miss the "high end" sound of the RCD1070 too much to give it up. Hope this helps!

Cracking

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

In general, I too would avoid 5 disc CD changers. However, if I HAD to get one, it would be the Rotel CD changer. It's really the only "hifi" CD changer I know of. Most of the changers out there are mass market low quality stuff. I second Cracking Oboe's opinion. I haven't done extensive testing on that particular changer, but I do know that using the changer as a transport only and the DAC in the 1068 should give you more than satisfactory sound. If your dealer has both on hand, I would suggest making a deal where you promise to buy 1 after demoing them both at home in an A/B. Good luck and happy listening.

I demoed the 1072 and it's very good for the money. I ended up going with the musical fidelity A3.2CD, but it's a bit more expensive. For the money, the 1072 is hard to beat.

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

How sizable is your CD collection? I own two (and soon to be three) Sony CDP-M555ES carousels (400 discs each) and it is a very impressive player. Perhaps others have not had a good experience with multi-cd players but this one for certain does not fit that mold. About a year ago they were selling for $900 (U.S.) and now you can find them for 1/2 that price. Sony also introduced a model very similar to this (I forget the model number) but it is also a 400-disc carousel, it also plays dvd's, and SACDs. Another member here purchased it and has nothing but glowing reviews about it.

I don't know anything about the 5-disc Rotel changer but I thought I'd chime in with my experience about the player I have to dispell some that have had no experience with this unit yet believe all (or certainly most) multi-cd players aren't that good.

Jim
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• ajpoe
            • Jul 2004

If you were going to use the DACs in the 1068 then another option to consider would be to get a nice HTPC case for your audio rack (Ahanix) with some BIG hard drives and rip your CD collection to the computer in lossless format. Building a simple music PC with spdif out and a radio freq remote control would probably cost less than the CD player and you never have to wait for a disk to change. You can set up playlists involving multiple CDs, jump to a single song or album, or just let it run on random and control it from anywhere in the house. I was currently torn in this same situation and with the help and advise of some others, decided to take it a step further and get the Benchmark DAC1 to run on the optical out of my PC. This was more important to me than getting the 1068 first since I primarily listen to music and I couldn't be happier. I would consider getting secondary external HDs to backup your music in the event a HD fizzled. I currently have over 300 full albums on my PC in lossless Monkey Audio and it only uses up about 75 GB... but I'm still ripping :T .

ajpoe
            AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• RACER4551
              • Apr 2004

Thanks everyone for your info ,the question that i am still battling with is the sound quality difference between the 5 disc player and the single player.Since i dont have a dealer that has these players in stock i cant compare between the two,so would there be a big enough difference in sound quality between the two,one that i would really notice?

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Racer,

I was faced with a simular situation when I needed to decide between the RCC-1055 (I believe, 5 disc carousel) and the RCD-1070. Someone commented that the 1070 is a better system due to the fact it only has a single disc vs. a multi-disc option, and he also stated that he had done an audio comparison ( he claimed to be a HT installer). In retrospect, I would think the single disc option would provide less vibration and a better dampening factor.

Needless to say, I keep the single disc.

Just my quick thoughts.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"