Anyone else have this component video switching problem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ezgoin
    • Aug 2004

Anyone else have this component video switching problem?

Hi all,
    I'm a proud new owner of the RSP-1068/RMB1075 combo and while I'm still getting used to the controls, I'm experiencing a system power-up problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has had. I'm switching my HD cable box and DVD player component outputs through the 1068 and into the DTV component input of my Mitsubishi CRT-RPTV (46-809). The problem is that whenever the 1068 is powered up (from standby), the video output to the TV does not get activated until I manually toggle the video input source form cable box to DVD and back to cable box. This "toggling" (between V2 and V1 and back to V2 on the 1068's remote) causes the picture to finally "pop in" on the TV. Everything then looks fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be a compatibilty problem between the 1068 and the TV?... I'm also unable to correctly display the 1068's OSD through the DTV component input and have run a composite video cable to the TV just for the 1068's OSD. Have I set something up incorrectly? I've tried all the variations of device power-up sequences that I can think of with the same result. Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can offer on this issue.
    -Eric
  • Barron
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Ezgoin
    Hi all,
    I'm a proud new owner of the RSP-1068/RMB1075 combo and while I'm still getting used to the controls, I'm experiencing a system power-up problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has had. I'm switching my HD cable box and DVD player component outputs through the 1068 and into the DTV component input of my Mitsubishi CRT-RPTV (46-809). The problem is that whenever the 1068 is powered up (from standby), the video output to the TV does not get activated until I manually toggle the video input source form cable box to DVD and back to cable box. This "toggling" (between V2 and V1 and back to V2 on the 1068's remote) causes the picture to finally "pop in" on the TV. Everything then looks fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be a compatibilty problem between the 1068 and the TV?... I'm also unable to correctly display the 1068's OSD through the DTV component input and have run a composite video cable to the TV just for the 1068's OSD. Have I set something up incorrectly? I've tried all the variations of device power-up sequences that I can think of with the same result. Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can offer on this issue.
    -Eric

I am having EXACTLY the same problem.

My equipment is almost identical to yours:

Rotel RSP1068
    Rotel RMB1095 + RB1090
    Mitsubishi WS-73909

I have no solution either...its very frustrating.

Jonah

Comment

• glangston@socal
      • May 2004

Rotel Manual

I've had some similar problems with a 1056, a Sony RP LCD and a Panasonic DVD. The Sony's picture runs through a DVI from the HD CableBox for TV. The DVD runs through component connections. The manual says "when using a progressive scan or 1080i video signal from the Component Video inputs , the TV monitor cannot display the video signal and the OSD menu at the same time. A "progressive" setting in the Other Options setup menu allows the use of the main OSD setup menus, even with progressive or HDTV signals. When the main OSD setup menus are activated, the progressive scan video input is interrupted and restored when the OSD menus are cancelled. The temporary OSD information displays (such as volume setting, etc.) are not displayed."

These instructions are from Video Inputs and Outputs, around page 16 in my manual. I set up with only the briefest of looks at the manual. I picked the manual up later and found most of the answers to problems I encountered along the way.

I have my unit set up pretty much like I want so I'm not using the OSD much but I did check it out and it is working. Good luck with your setup. There seems to be some anamolies with the new video gear. One thing my set does consistently is give me a weird test pattern screen whey I try to operate my cable menu selections to show the channel "guide" but this only happens when I'm on HDTV channels. At that point it is "locked" and I have to unplug the power to the cable box briefly to allow it to reset.

Comment

• hamiltong
        • Feb 2003

Note the V1.1.7 update available @ rotel.com.. Specifically fixes the bug you're describing. -gh

V1.1.5 to V1.1.7
        - Corrected a discrepancy between the front display and the OSD when
        displaying the Dolby Digital 2CH mode.
        - Corrected the Dolby Digital EX flag indication when using RS232.
        - Changed the default surround mode method to remember the last used
        surround mode by disc type - i.e. separate default modes now available for
        Dolby Digital and DTS. The exceptions to this are auto-detected surround
        modes such as DD EX and DTS ES discs.
        - Corrected a bug causing no progressive video passthrough on initial powerup
        when OSD is set to off.

Comment

• Ezgoin
          • Aug 2004

Thanks hamiltong, I just received confirmation of that information in response to an email to Rotel Support. I'll try to get that update installed as soon as I can.
          -Eric

Comment

• Barron
            • Jul 2004

I upgraded the firmware of my 1068 the v1.1.17 and the bug is still there. The OSD is still not displaying properly. I think I am just going to return the 1068...Rotel seems to have too many bugs with this product. The video switching is a MAJOR feature I need to work properly.

I'm hooking my 1066 backup in the meantime..

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Barron
              I upgraded the firmware of my 1068 the v1.1.17 and the bug is still there. The OSD is still not displaying properly. I think I am just going to return the 1068...Rotel seems to have too many bugs with this product. The video switching is a MAJOR feature I need to work properly.

When is the OSD not displaying properly? When viewing Progressive DVD's or HD? If so you have to set those inputs to PROGRESSIVE in the Rotel Menu. If not it will come up as garbage. If it's something else let us know.

Kevin D.

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
                • Oct 2003

get rid of dvi cable

run component video cable instead just to see if there is a difference . dvi is equal quality to coponent (r,b,g) from what i read.

Comment

• Barron
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  When is the OSD not displaying properly? When viewing Progressive DVD's or HD? If so you have to set those inputs to PROGRESSIVE in the Rotel Menu. If not it will come up as garbage. If it's something else let us know.

Kevin D.
                  I have all inputs set to progressive already. The OSD menu does NOT work on any of my component inputs, but the OSD menu does work on composite inputs upconverted to component to my TV.

I have followed the manual. This looks like some kindof bug between my TV and the 1068.

Comment

• Ezgoin
                    • Aug 2004

I did the firmware upgrade last night after much wrestling with Hyperterminal and my serial port. Happy to report that my power-up video issue is resolved. Still not getting the OSD menu to appear on the TV's DTV component input (at least not without massive distortion). I don't consider this a big problem since I just use a composite cable to the TV for the sole purpose of OSD. Even if the OSD worked on the DTV input, it wouldn't be able display without interrupting the video, so toggling the TV's input isn't a big deal to me.
                    -Eric

Comment

• Bostonears
                      • Mar 2004

Barron,

You might have a hardware problem with your unit, but don't give up on the 1068 because it has had a few software bugs. The true test of a manufacturer is how they deal with fixing such bugs.

I just wanted to relate to everyone my experience in dealing with Rotel when I originally encountered the component video passthrough problem with the 1068, mentioned in the release notes to the latest firmware update. I believe that I was the first person to identify this problem to Rotel, earlier this year. When I first saw it happen, I sent an email to their U.S. tech support (Equity Audio). The initial response from Equity was that my TV was the likely cause of the problem, because it wasn't synching properly with the signal from the 1068. I went through an exhaustive series of experiments with my system over the course of few days, and positively determined that: a) the 1068 was the problem; and b) it only happened when the input was set for Progressive and the OSD was set to OFF. (At the outset, it was definitely not obvious to either me or Equity that the OSD setting would have anything to do with the problem.)

Once I gave Equity a reliable way to replicate the problem, they called Rotel engineers in China and relayed the details. Two days later, I received an email from Equity with a new build of experimental software from China (created only the day before) to test out. I confirmed for them that it fixed my problem, and a couple of weeks later the fix appeared in an official update on the Rotel web site. So, within TWO DAYS of me reporting a verifiable problem, Rotel engineers on the other side of the world had fixed the problem and sent me an update.

About a year ago, I had encountered a problem with a preamp from an upscale British electronics company (which shall remain nameless). After I reported the problem, the company kept insisting that the product functioned normally, despite evidence I presented that their design was clearly flawed. To this day, they haven't fixed the problem, and still don't even acknowledge that a problem exists. Basically, their attitude was that I was an a**hole for suggesting that their equipment wasn't perfect. Needless to say, I'll never buy anything from them again

By comparison, I can't imagine any company responding to a problem faster than Rotel did with mine. Needless to say, I'll probably buy more from Rotel in the future.

Comment

• Bostonears
                        • Mar 2004

I have all inputs set to progressive already. The OSD menu does NOT work on any of my component inputs, but the OSD menu does work on composite inputs upconverted to component to my TV.

I have followed the manual. This looks like some kindof bug between my TV and the 1068.
                        By the way Barron, when you say that the OSD doesn't work, what exactly happens when you press the OSD button on the remote?
                        Is it:
                        a) nothing at all happens, as though you didn't press the button
                        b) the screen goes black
                        c) you get scrambled junk on the screen

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"