X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

More 1098 Video Wierdness

I've been watching the U.S. Open coverage in HD on CBS for the last five hours and during the first four, I was having a problem where the video scrambled almost every time there was an overlay graphic put up. You know stuff like the score, player stats, that kind of stuff. I figured the problem was with the CBS feed so I didn't think much of it. It only happened during the 1080i feed, never during the 480i upconvert portions of the feed. Finally I called a few of my friends in Atlanta to see if they where seeing the same thing, thinking maybe the local CBS affiliate was screwing up the feed. Everyone else said their picture looked find. I then checked the HDTV Programming forum over at AVS so see if anyone from around the country was reporting problems and no one was. The more I thought the more it appeared to me the problem I was seeing looked very similiar to what you see when you are in 480p, 720p, or 1080i mode and press the menu button on the 1098 and you have the OSD OUTPUT option set to SCREEN+MON. I checked my DISPLAY OPTIONS settings and I had PROGRESSIVE = NO and OSD OUTPUT set to SCREEN+MON. I left PROGRESSIVE set to NO and changed OSD OUTPUT to SCREEN only. Since I made the change I have had no further problems.

It's almost as if the 1098's video circuitry is sensing the network's graphic overlay and for a split second, thinks it's a command to display it's own graphics? I don't know but the problem did indeed go away after making the change. The PROGRESSIVE and OSD OUTPUT setting really do need to be based on INPUT and not global settings.

-Skip
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Skip:

As you know from reading some of the issues I had a few days ago, I encountered something very smiliar to what you are describing. The first two days I had the 1098 up and running, this was not a problem (though I was having a lot of other issues that were driving me nuts!). On the 3rd day though, I couldn't get anything to work on my tv monitor ( I hadn't had problems with progressive set to "yes" the previous days but on the 3rd day I did). I changed the progressive to "no" and the problem went away. On the 4th day, I experienced basically the same problem you described. So, I disconnected all of the component ins on the 1098 and connected them directly to the hdtv input. Problem "band-aided".

It seems from a number of threads, the 1098 has video board issues though the issues vary from machine to machine. Would you agree?
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• skipm
      • Jun 2003

Jim-

I'm not sure if the issue is hardware or software at this point but I'm leaning toward software. This is the second issue I've discovered related to the PROGRESSIVE and OSD OUTPUT settings. I've figured out work-arounds for both issues so I'm hoping for a firmware update from Rotel.

-Skip

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"