X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tallen2_34
    • Jul 2004

Rotel RCD 1072

As some of you know, I am trying to help a buddy of mine piece together a "turn-key" home theater system. He is going with the Rotel 1068 pre/amp and the Rotel 1095amp and the Paradigm Ref 100's. I told him he needs a cd player (he has a 300 disc changer!).

Now, the person who is installing the system recommended the rotel rcd 1072 for $699. Now, I have read that this is a great CD player and won the Absolute Sound Product of the Year for 2003. However, I believe, it doesn't play DVD-A or SACD. Is this a HUGE deal? Should he find something that plays DVD-A and SACD? If so, what would you recommend?
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

However, I believe, it doesn't play DVD-A or SACD.
    Well that's why it's a CD player, if it would play DVD-A and SACD it would be known as a DVD player :B

Rotel doesn't have any players that support SACD, and if you want DVD-A you'll end up buying a DVD player, not a dedicated CD player.
    If your buddy is very serious about 2 channel stereo, he might benefit from a more expensive CD-only player as opposed to (or in addition to) a multiformat DVD player.
    He has to decide whether DVD-A and SACD are important to him.
    If they are, Denon makes very good multiformat players at several price-points and so does Pioneer (although I prefer the sound of Denon).
    CD playback from multiformat players is fine, but you can get better from a dedicated CD player.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yup, what he said :B

I'll add that if it was my $$ I'd be going this route likely with a Denon player TBD with their new realeases next month'ish. (Or a HTPC :B )

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• Tallen2_34
        • Jul 2004

Let's compare apples and oranges, in terms of sound quality, and let's use rotel components as part of the hypothetical:

If you have a RDV-1060 and a rcd 1072, I imagine that CD's would sound MUCH better on the 1072, correct?

If not, then why get the 1072?

The real issue is my friend just bought a DVD player, but it doesn't do DVD-A, so now I have to break the news that that may have been a waste.

He will do about 50/50 HT/Audio, so is the quality difference in the 1072 significantly greater to lean toward getting the cd-only player. Or, would he be as happy with the sound quality of the CD Playback, in the 1060, with the ability to play DVD-A's?

Comment

• hamlyn
          • Jul 2004

I am told that the RDV-1060 incorporates the RCD-1072 which does DVD-Audio as well as top notch CD playback

Comment

• Tallen2_34
            • Jul 2004

I thought they had different DAC's?

Comment

• Jason Brown
              • Jan 2004

I used to listen to music with the 1095 and Studio 100s -- nice system.

Anyway, my thoughts are that the 1072 is going to be a better CD player than most Universals. I much prefer listening to CDs through my 1070 than I do my Denon DVD-2900, and forget about the Pioneer 300-disc changers I used to have. But for me it makes sense to have a dedicated CD player rather than playing them on the DVD player. I only have about 50 or so DVD-As and SACDs and my collection is stagnating with the lack of good stuff coming out. With as much time as I spend listening to my 1300+ CDs, I thought it was a good idea to get the best CD player I felt I could afford.

If your friend spends a lot of time listening to CDs, I'd recommend the 1072. If he's more a casual music listener, I'd say spend the money on a good DVD player.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Hi,

Here's a link http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ight=1072+1060 to an earlier thread for someone that has done the comparison with the RDV-1080 (the RDV-1060 predecessor). There are other similar threads in this and other forums.

Bottom line the if you can only afford one item RDV-1060 will do a great job of DVD Video, DVD-Audio and a good job on CDs (better at CDs than most DVD players). Howver for CD only playback the RCD-1072 is significanly better again... But it all depends on what you want and how much you can spend...

I've heard both the RCD-1072 and the RDV-1060. I bought the RCD-1072 and a mid price DVD player for the same as the RDV-1060 to try and get a good compromise... (Mind you I'm bow waiting for the Denon 3910 for DVDs - but by then I'll have had 1 1/2 good years to save up for it while technology gets better...

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I still vote DVD player and DAC1.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• audiofan
                    • May 2004

I think if you only use digital out connection and with a good receiver, the sound will at least as good as a good CD player?

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

With the digital out you still have issues with jitter etc... DAC1 (or HTPC with upsampling audio card like the Lynx Two) is the way to go for high end sound at a reasonable price. Just make sure your player can have active output to both the optical and coax outputs :T

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• audiofan
                        • May 2004

DAC1? Forgive me , but i'm not sure i know what it is... Is this an external DAC that i'm supposed to get? How do i connect that to my receiver? and what is the brand and where to get it? especially, how much does it cost?

Sorry to ask so many question since it may be the route i should go

Thanks a lot.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Check out my first post in this thread (the third post) there's a link with info for the DAC1 there You'd have to confirm the Denon has both it's coaxial and optical outputs active at the same time so you can use one for the DAC/music and the other for DTS/DD.

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                            • Aug 2004

I finally got my RDV-1060 paired to my 1056, will DACs improve the sound of CDs, I was looking around but it cost somewhere around $700.00 and up, does the 1060 allow this though, right?

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"