X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

1095 Hum GONE!

I went and ran my cable (TV) through my Monster HTS 2600, and the hum is COMPLETLEY GONE! I just saw someone say that fixed theirs that way so I thought what the hell. I used to have the cable go through the Monster, but when we moved into the new house I didn't hook it back up that way.

Well it's pretty cool if you ask me, no hum AT ALL!! I put my ear ON the grille and hear nothing, I played a DVD and CD, muted the volume, put my ear ON the grille again, NOTHING!! AHHH!! YES!!!!

Just thought I would share my happiness, the wife even said she can't hear it anymore! Now things are EXCELLENT!!!!
    Scott Goldsmith
  • egaither
    • Apr 2004

Just out of curiousity if you turn the volume down to its lowest setting...just before mute do you still hear it?

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Just thought I would share my happiness, the wife even said she can't hear it anymore! Now things are EXCELLENT!!!!
      That's great news. Now if only I get rid of the hum from my 1095 (which seems to be getting louder each week...)

--Geoff

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

I found my Monster bar also stripped and reduced my ground fault hum to a tolerable level, however it didnot totally remove it.

The fault was the cable line itself, and a home made isolator totally removed it. :T

I was also told not to run my cable through the Monster by the cable company as they would not be able to comunicate with the box if required to. I don't run my cable through it now as the isolator has fixed the ground fault hum.
        Bing

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

Bing, lets have some info on the isolator you made. I have seen threads referring to the Dayton and Jenson isolators that help also. How did you make yours?

Erik

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Sure, all it was was using 2 x 75ohm to 300ohm Baluns transformers I had kicking around.

Here I just soldered the ends together

I had some mylar foil shielding I robbed from scrap Cables, and bound it with electrical tape.

I wrapped it in expandable mesh and shrink wrap to finish it off.

I think a person can buy a straight 75ohm to 75 ohm Baluns transformer (like the Jensen), however I had these sitting around, and I like messing around with DIY stuff :W

Let me tell you, my Hum was wickedly loud!

The "Bingtech Hum buster" :lol:
            Bing

Comment

• ekkoville
              • Aug 2004

Bing that's a kickin job dude....Lex better watch it, your a flextech-shrinktubing fool!!!!

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Orange Peel, That's great that just running the cable through the Monster HTS fixed everything! Can't beat that.

I've always ran my cable through it, figured why not!? I did notice it removed some of the "snow" from the picture with the regular (analog) cable signal that my cable modem created on certain channels. The digital cable never has given me any problems.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• GRCRYSTYK
                  • Mar 2004

Hey guys,..Hello,...
                  I hope I'm not sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. I haven't been a member of this board long enough to know too many of you. I do more reading than anything, but just a tip if anybody else is having buzz or humm problems, either cable or ground induced.
                  Headache enough are these anoying noises, as it just kills the experience your looking to enjoy. To make things worse yet, is to have trouble diagnosing the root of the problem. As many of the more experienced AC guys have said on many of the forums like this,..Usually the problem is simple to rectify,... What is difficult, is finding it.
                  Again to make things worse, trying something that has worked for many, and have it not work for you. In this case, the back to back 75 ohm Baluns. I will be honest, and tell you, I can't recall what the difference is, but they are not all created equal, and this will not work with all Baluns. I had a cable humm, and built a unit just like Bing's. Didn't work,....Not even a little. I did a little more digging. Posted a couple questions about the problem, and had a guy in the industry tell me about the differences in the Baluns. Long story short, if you have a couple laying around, by all means give it a shot,..most of the time it works fine. If you don't,...Bite the bullett, and order a ground loop isolator made for cable feeds. They cost more, but worth every penny. Some are more than others, but I have never heard of any that don't work.

Hired Goon,..and anybody else with humm or buzz problems other than cable,...
                  There is another thread at the moment, about humm and buzz problems with the 1095. This gentleman has diagnosed the problem to be signal,a nd safety ground bonding inside the case of the 1095, and has taken steps to eliminte the noise.
                  I have discussed this with an idustry profesional, and have been told, that as folks use to do years ago, and I belive pro audio guys still do today,..adding a ground wire to the case from each peice of gear in your rack, or the offending peices, then plugging it into the recepticle (GROUND ONLY) of the power source, is still an option with todays gear.
                  This helps to eliminate ground loops between offending peices, and leaves the safety grounds in place. There are products available at a substancial cost, that take the process a step further by adding resistors and curcuitry to further match the ground potential of each peice, equating to an even more reduced noise floor, but for us audiophiles on a budget, creative DIY units could be the answer to a lot of noise issues.
                  A simple wire in the right place could be all that is needed to kill off an anoying buzz. It was in my system. I'm going to go a little further with it, and build a small unit to house all the connections, then ground them all to the recepticle.

As always,...SAFETY FIRST!

>>>--->

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by GRCRYSTYK
                    I had a cable humm, and built a unit just like Bing's. Didn't work,....Not even a little.
                    The problem you had was you did not use true isolated transformer baluns, yours were a common ground type.

You can test if the balun is isolatated with a multimeter. Measure the resitances between all input and output pins. If there is no conenction found between input and output, then the balun is isolated and can be used to make the example above.

Erik, Lex ain't got nothing to worry about, I'm a hack :W Thanks :T
                    Bing

Comment

• GRCRYSTYK
                      • Mar 2004

Bing,..
                      I understand now,...That would be the ticket then,...as to how they work for the hum problem,...
                      Humms and buzz's are a real pain,....I wish there were an all in one product to avoid such things,.....The creator would be one wealthy son of a gun.,...

>>>--->

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"