X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dermie999
    • Jul 2004

Have I done the right thing?

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this site but have been a Rotel afficionada for a few years now. About my system, I have

Rotel RSP 1066 Surround Sound Processor
    RMB 1075 Power Amplifier
    RT 1080 Tuner
    RCD 1070 CD Player
    Yamaha DVD-S520 DVD Player
    Bose 901 Front Speakers
    Subsonic PC-1 Centre Speaker
    M&K V-125 Subwoofer
    Fujitsu P42HHA30WS Plasma Monitor

Great system - sounds and looks really superb and, touch wood, not a problem since purchase.

Now my dilemna. I have upgraded the Surround Sounred Processor to an RSP 1098 on the advice of my Audio Store (Audio Trends, Melbourne Australia) who have been absolutely fantatstic to deal with. I was really happy with this decison until I have read some of the posts in the Rotel club re problems with the RSP 1098.

In particular I am concerned about 12V Trigger misbehaviour, hum, shileds which need to be installed and upgrades to the Flash EPROM (this is scary stuff for me I like listening and watching but I don't have much technical knowledeg or capability). So my question is have I made the right decision to Upgrade to the RSP 1098 or have aIO bought a lemon? Eeveryone seems really happy with the performance of the RSP 1098 but these seems to be quite a few bugs

Another question - what is Rotel support like in Australia - if I have trouble with my RSP 1098 will the thing be in the shop for ages?

Hope someone can reassure me that I will not regret my purchase - note I am only concerend about having the thing constantly in the shop for repairs not with the quality of the sound and vision that I will get from the unit.

Thanks,

Trevor Turner
    Mlebourne Australia 8)
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Howdy Trevor...

Welcome first of all, think the 1098 is a fabulous piece of kit and in my view the concerns over the unit in this forum have been somewhat minor and moreover isolated - at least from what I have picked up.

I have the 1068 which shares many of the 1098's features and I could not be happier after upgrading recently from a 1066.

First and foremost let YOUR ears be the judge and enjoy! If you are not happy with something you can always come back to the forum and see if you share the issue with others and probably find a solution anyway!

Rgds Steve
    Last edited by Stevebez; 14 July 2004, 06:07 Wednesday. Reason: Additions / corrections

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Trevor,

I also traded my RSP-1066 (through an upgrade policy at my dealer) for the RSP-1098 and have not looked back. Although, the RSP-1066 it a nice piece of equipment in it's on right, I find that the 1098 is even more beautiful than it's predecessor. Your concerns/issues with the 1098 are somewhat valid, however, not everyone experiences these problems. Since you are an educated consumer I would test the equipment for any possible flaws, including the hum issue (issue seems to have been resolved via a retrofit shield), 12V trigger (esp., the RB-1080, seems to have been recitified with the increase 8.3amp fuse). I am actually again utilizing the 12V trigger after fuse blowing (I have set the 12V trigger in the menu to all, for every source).

Overall, I happy with the perfomance of this beautiful machine :T , despite some shortcomings. Rotel had been addressing the issues, Andrew and Geoff have been instrumental in this process.

You shouldn't start second guessing yourself, it takes away from the enjoyment. I believe you have chosen wisely.

Keep us posted and enjoy you new toy,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You choose wisely...the 1098 is a stunning pre amp processor unit that's loaded with useful real world features. If you're not comfortable doing the firmware upgrades just ask your dealer to do them for you...though its really quite easy to do and we can step you though it if you like. The 12Volt issue has only effected a very small handful of units and the shield is likely already installed on the newer models so neither should effect you. As for service in your neck of the woods AussieGeoff would be a better person to answer that but from what I can see its pretty decent...and there's quite a few aussies on the forum for you to lean on should you need anything.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Trevor,

Nice choices I have the same processor and amps. Let me answer some of your questions.

Australian support is excellent through International Dynamics (the Rotel Agent) who happen to be located in Melbourne http://www.internationaldynamics.com.au/ - though your dealer should be able to do everything you need baring a disaster.

If your RSP-1098 unit is new you should have version 2.1.2 of the software installed (press and hold the MUTE button on the front for 5 seconds and it will display on the TFT screen. If, so you will have EPROM, Shield the lot. Let me know if you have an older version (bought at a discount!!!!) and I'll tell you what to watch out for - but basically any upgrades can be done by your dealer in store in 20 minutes and I'd get them done soon before you fall in love too much with the 1098 to have it away for the day...

Your RB-1080 probably still has the 6.3A fuses in it unless is it an absolutely new shipment (last couple of weeks). Don’t worry – 99% of people have no issue (I am still the ONLY Perth customer with of the RB-1080 who has had a fuse issue) but if you are unlucky enough to have a left or right channel fuse blow on the RB-1080 get the dealer to fit the 8 amp slow blow fuses and the problem is gone…

In terms of Hum with the new ground scheme on the Series 3 and later RB-1080’s you should only get hum IF you have a ground loop – your dealer (or lots of posts on this forum) can help….

Some tips:

Buy a good mains filter like the Surge Guard A2 (around $200). Aussie mains is high power but noisy...

Make sure you spend the time (or get the dealer to) calibrate your speaker levels and distances... It makes an amazing difference to the sound stage.

If the bass sounds too low on real world music and DVDs when calibrated to 75 dB using the test tones (some have this issue) then use a DVD Set-up disk to get the tones right OR calibrate the speakers at 75 db and the bass at 85 db (this only affects some units for weird reasons I don't understand).

Use the best Coax Digital connections you can - the RSP-1098 eats them up and sounds better and better... I love the Catcables Silver Digital magic coax as per this LINK… Awesome with the RCD-1070 and the DVD player…

Enjoy....

PS - Start saving because the RSP-1098 is that good you'll most likely be tempted to upgrade your front speaker to really take advantage of it...

Geoff
          Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 15 July 2004, 00:37 Thursday.

Comment

• whmacs
            • Oct 2003

Hi Trevor,
            The RSP-1098 is a great bit of gear, I went through the EPROM / firmware upgrade cycle to get PLIIx, and while a bit daunting, is a reasonably straight forward excerise (There are plenty of posts here about the upgrade process). PLIIx is fantastic on a 7.1 system, if you don't have a 7.1 system, don't worry about it and just do the firmware upgrade to 1.18 which is dead easy. As Aussie Geoff has said, the Rotel support here in Australia is very good, I've also dealt with International Dynamics around a bug in the original PLIIx software (v2.11) and they where very helpful in getting the issue resolved (Its fixed in v2.12). Other than that, I've not had a single issue with my RSP-1098 / RMB-1075 / RB-1070 combo.

I notice that you have an RCD-1070 cd player. How do you find it? I'm wanting to upgrade my Yamaha CD to either the Rotel RCD-1072 or NAD C542. Any thoughts on the player?

cheers,
            Stephen
            My Home Theatre

Comment

• dermie999
              • Jul 2004

Hi Stephen,

The CD player I find very very good.

I have no complaints at all. However, I am not overly happy with my Yamaha DVD - its a bit quirky and I have seen better picture quality so I am contemplating changing the Yammy out for a Rotel RDV 1060 or a NAD T562 (still seems disloyal contemplating anything but Rotel) at which stage I will probably retire the RCD 1070 (where do old HT components go when they die - my spare room is starting to look like a hi-fi dealers showroom). I haven't looked at the specifc CD players you mention, sorry.

But a question for everyone or anyone - am I better to use dedicated components eg a CD player AND a DVD player or is a "universal" player a better option?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Trevor,

Am I better to use dedicated components eg a CD player AND a DVD player or is a "universal" player a better option?
                Bottom line answers / opinions for you:
                • A quality dedicated CD player on good equipment such as yours sounds way better than all but the most expensive DVD players on CDs. Indeed the cost difference is such that it is cheaper to get a good DVD and CD than the outstanding DVD player you would need for really good CD paying.
                • Your RCD-1070 is very good - lots of awards and 5 star reviews etc. You would need to spend more to better it. I'd get a set of really good cables (especially the CAT Cables sliver digitals) and then see if you still feel like upgrading (unless you NEED a CD player in the spare room)
                • Don't limit yourself to Rotel or NAD DVD players. For example the new Denon’s in my post HERE are arguable going to be better picture and sound and more flexible except for (maybe) DVD-A...

Geoff

Comment

• dermie999
                  • Jul 2004

Thanks to all (particularly Aussie Geoff) for the helpful facts/opinions. I think I'll stick around this site - its the best Forum I have been associated with.

Trevor

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Trevor I hope you do stick around we need more bodies in the collective :assimilate:

Comment

• dermie999
                      • Jul 2004

Well my RSP 1098 arrives this week and needless to say I am getting quite excited. However, I hope the OS is up to date because I don't dare upgrade given the trouble a few others have had. Am looking forward to setting up, by all reports it is a very good unit.

Next step some B&W fronts - a few months savings required there I think.

Look out guys the questions will be coming thick and fast when I try to set up the system.

Trevor Turner
                      Melbourne

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Patience Grasshopper, Patience 8) .

Azeke

Comment

• dermie999
                          • Jul 2004

Patience Grasshopper, Patience 8) .

Azeke
                          Hmmm, now there's an interesting combination. Patience and HT addiction. Does not compute! :T

Comment

• dmcgowan
                            • Sep 2003

Trevor,

Bit off topic, but who do you deal with at Audio Trends? I've been a long term user of a certain Richmond store but they seem to be little more than TV salesmen these days...

Would you mind replying to my email who you deal with at Audio Trends?

Thanks,

Darren

p.s. Given the Hawks performance this year, I am impressed by your choice of handle!!!!!!! Go Blues!!!!!

Comment

• dermie999
                              • Jul 2004

Bit off topic, but who do you deal with at Audio Trends?

Would you mind replying to my email who you deal with at Audio Trends?
                              Happy to Darren but I can't get to your email from your profile - it tells me you have chosen not to receive emails. Just send me an email and I'll respond to it.

As to the Hawks fortunes this year, yes you're right we are not travelling that well. However hope springs eternal and there's always next year :T I'm hoping for a repeat of 1986!!! (Or 61 or 71 or 76 etc etc)

Comment

• dmcgowan
                                • Sep 2003

Done Trevor - should be in your inbox about now...

Yeah, well I can just remember the glory years of the '80s for Carlton too. The Hawks, Bombers and Blues had that decade sown up. Wouldn't mind if the bloody Bombers had the decency to also have a bad few years as well!!! Mind you, Lethal's doing a good job taking the Bears to win no 4 I think.

Comment

• Sithlord10
                                  • Apr 2003

Hey Trevor. Great choice with the 1098 you will simply love it. I have been dealing with Audio Trends now for over 6 years and they are excellent to deal with. They have always accommadated me with all requests no matter how crazy. When I walk in they just smile and say so what are you upgrading now . I mostly deal with Simon or Mark as they seem to know the latest goss. In regards to the update for the 1098 just read the readme and take it slow otherwise do what Geoff sugggested. I performed an update for Simon on his 1098 as he was a bit nervous doing it himself. I don't think he has done the Eprom updates on his as yet so mabe you can both get it done at the same time. Enjoy your new toy when you get it and let us know how you go. :T

Comment

• dermie999
                                    • Jul 2004

Done Trevor - should be in your inbox about now...
                                    Darren will respond tonight. Use my home email address on this forum and I work during the day.

Trevor

Comment

• Elmac
                                      • Apr 2004

Hey Trevor,
                                      1098 will blow you away,
                                      I know when I upgraded from Integra 8.2 to 1098 my HT room just filled up with sound. You will be amaized.
                                      Let us know your first impression.
                                      Elmac
                                      All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• dermie999
                                        • Jul 2004

Darren,

Tried to send you a mail last night and it got rejected as your mail box is full (or so your mail administrator told me). Rather than clog this thread with personal messages between you and I, I will send you a Private Message on this forum.

Trevor Turner

Comment

• dermie999
                                          • Jul 2004

Doesn't matter anymore

Well whether I have done the right thing or not doesn't matter any more - my RSP 1098 arrived Friday 13th (along with a DENON 2900 and some nice Subsonic rear speakers). I'm like a dog with two tails - it is such a nice system I now have. And delivered on Friday 13 without a hitch!!

A couple of things:

Please, please, please Mr Rotel - no upgrades to anything Rotel until my bank manager recovers from my spending spree.

When switching HD signals the OSD on my Plasma panel is corrupted. Can get around this by switching off the TV display of the OSD but is there a fix for this?

When I switch my Denon 2900 to progressive scan the image on my Plasma has both vertical and horizontal black bars. Is this normal?

Showing my ignorance of all things HT - some of my DVDs have black horizontal bars (and some don't). What cause this and can I tell when I buy them which ones are going to have the black bars?

Apart from that it is a really great system.

Long live Rotel!!!!

Trevor Turner

Melbourne, Australia

Comment

• Sithlord
                                            • Aug 2004

Widescreen Ratios

Hi Trevor glad your stuff arrived. Now in relation to the black bars the horizontal ones are normal as some dvds (most of them now) are filmed in widescreen. Some are done in a ratio of 2.35 and 1.85. Depending on the size of your display (plasma screen) the 2.35 ratio will show the black bars top and bottom but the 1.85 wont. If you use the search engine www.google.com.au and type in widescreen ratios you will find a more detailed explanation regarding this subject. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...reenorama.html here is a link you may want to read . Before buying any dvds look at the back of the cover and read the details most show the ratio it was filmed in Widescreen 2.35 or Widescreen 1.85 normally users the words Aspect Ratio.

I'm not sure about the OCD issue you should call Audio Trends and have someone come over and set in up for you if your not completly confidant yourself. Well I hope some of this helped and once it's all setup you should be amazed with the 1098. :T

Comment

• dermie999
                                              • Jul 2004

Thanks Sithlord - this forum is just so helpful.

I have checked with Audio Trends who advise that the only way to avoid the corruption on my Plasma screen in HD mode is to enable the OSD on the 1098 only. It was Audio Trends who set my system up for me.

My question is - is that correct or is there a way to set up the 1098 so this corruption can be avoided. My thinking is that there may be a firmware upgrade to get over this or there may be something that Audio Trends are not aware of.

Trevor

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"