New member and interesting observation!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3DCadman
    • Apr 2003

New member and interesting observation!!

8O
    I just got my 1066/1075 combo on Tuesday and it's still breakin' in as we speak. Very happy with what I hear so far. My "old" system was pretty good for 2 channel (Adcom 750 pre and 5500 amp), so I'm reserving judgment until the new stuff fully breaks in. But it TOTALLY BLOWS AWAY what I had for surround. No question about it. I never knew that there was that much detail in my old favorites.

Anyway, on with my observation. I have a Philips 963SA DVD/SACD player that will "upconvert" regular DC to 96 or 192 rate.

I thought I read here that the 1066 was had 96 d/a capability, but much to my surprise, when the 963 was hooked up digitally to the 1066, "192" scrolled across the screen when I fired up a CD.

Now what's wierd is, this works ONLY when the mains are set to LARGE and I'm in 2 channel mode. When I set the 963 to output 96, I can set the mains to SMALL What happens if I don't set the speakers properly, the sound gets broken up, like a bad DSS signal.

I haven't had time to listen whether the 1066 will do 192 better than the Phillips via the analog out yet, but I'll let you know.

I think I'll give my system about a week to fully "cook" before I make any judgements anyway.

Thanks for all the input around here. I learned alot! (Yes I read ALL 19 or so pages of posts 8O )

Andy
    Andy
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

3DCadman,

Fascinating, please keep us posted on your findings. 8O

Azeke

Comment

• 3DCadman
      • Apr 2003

My theory on the "digital breakup" when I mess around with various settings is that the 1066's DSP's are capable of decoding 192 only when they don' t have much else to "number crunch"

Pushin' it to the limit I guess!!

***OFF TOPIC***
      :cry: head hanging in shame with the Red Wing's 1st round exit via sweep :cry:

Andy
      Andy

Comment

• wng
        • Dec 2002

Congrats on the new gear. Silver or black? Also interested in what you can find out about the 192 capability.

O/T: Shocking what happened to the Wings.

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Yeah, that is a pleasant surprise. :sn

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Oops, and welcome to the board and congratulations on your new addition. With findings like that, you'll soon be chairman of the board.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

That's very interesting! Keep us posted and I'll maybe bouce that by Rotel to see what they have to say...

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by 3DCadman
                ***OFF TOPIC***
                :cry: head hanging in shame with the Red Wing's 1st round exit via sweep :cry:
                What are you talking about? Obviously you are mistaken.

I'm really sorry about posting this in this thread, due to it being off topic. But I could not resist.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• 3DCadman
                  • Apr 2003

WNG,

Well, I got a silver 1066 and a black 1075. The reason for this wierd combo is due to my impatience to wait for my dealer to order a matching pair. He had what I bought in stock.

Besides, the amp resides on a stand behind my RPTV. This is due to my stupidity of buying hi-end speaker cable too short. I only have enough length to my front speakers if I preciselyposition the amp centered between the speakers.

So, I don't see the amp anyway!

BTW, my gear has been running 24/7 since I got it and it sounds better by the hour.

I'm still trying to decide if my Sony 9000es sounds better thru it's analog outputs, or my Philips 963 via the digital link @96 or 192.

This is too much fun.

Andy
                  Andy

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Rotel is going to be looking into this for us shortly

Comment

• wng
                      • Dec 2002

3DCadman,

It is a whole lot of fun, ain't it? Good to hear it's breaking in nicely. I played it too safe and all my cabling is too long. Can't wait to find out what Rotel says about the 192.

Rock Dog,

That pic is all over the Web. :LOL:

Comment

• 3DCadman
                        • Apr 2003

Hey!

Not that I didn't think you guy's believe me or anything, but I'm posting some setup pics to show the 192 decoding.

Here's the Philips 963 setup screen:

Here's the "192" across the 1066 display:

Andy
                        Andy

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Cadman you need to upload those images to a web server and then link to them there. If you don't have a place to upload them to email them to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"